Geforce GT 710 cards under Windows XP, Findings

gerwin

19 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

I have been using GT 730 with v344.75 for a while with same PC and it is doing very stable unlike GT 710. Games I tested and 3dmark2001se are not so power hungry softwares i guess. GT 730 with latest drivers such as v368.81 also caused freeze issue but has been very stable with v344.75.

It's a very well known issue with all nVidia drivers after 347.xx and old motherboards.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/gtx-560-point-of-view-games-crash-with-drivers-newer-than-347-88.441449/

7 minutes ago, Dixel said:

It's because there are two different variants of GT 710.

Which one is mine? afaik it is Kepler.

According to Device Manager, device id is "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_128B&SUBSYS_85E71043&REV_A1\4&2E5EAC9&0&0008"

According to GPU-Z, device id is "10DE 128B - 1043 85E7"

3 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

Which one is mine? afaik it is Kepler.

According to Device Manager, device id is "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_128B&SUBSYS_85E71043&REV_A1\4&2E5EAC9&0&0008"

According to GPU-Z, device id is "10DE 128B - 1043 85E7"

This one.

GPU Name
GK208B
GPU Variant
GK208-203-B1
Architecture
Kepler 2.0

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-710.c1990

3 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

Nope. I didnt try it. What difference does it make?

Should be better than later ones, No conflicts with motherboards. In inf - replace 0FEC with 128B.

52 minutes ago, Dixel said:

No problem, ask if you have any further questions.

Now installed iCafe driver - 347.26-espresso-icafe-winxp-international.exe

GPU-Z shows OpenGL version 4.5

btOVC4K.png

3dmark2001se, didnt cause any freeze issue at 1st test. but needs more testing.

83RJeMA.png

EDIT: terrible high temps while gaming :

PCkKD8C.jpeg

EDIT2: ran 3dmark2001se benchmark 2nd time, no freeze at all. still need more time to be sure. But high GPU temps are concerning.

Edited by MinimumAttic410

How much memory do you have committed in Task Manager when the game has been played for a long time? I'm not familiar with the RAM reading that this OSD gives, if it is the total including driver memory.

For Most Wanted you can lighten the load by turning down some settings, like the shadows and the orange tint (it still remains plenty brown with it off).

If the card is fanless, it might not be usable at full load in Summer. I previously had a GT 610, and it overheated and crashed after a long chase with the cops (aaargh). But it also had a higher power consumption being a previous generation model.

Don't you need CUDA to watch videos with GPU decoding? I think what the program reports is a small missing DLL. The bulk of the CUDA stuff is still there. I no longer use WinXP, so I can't check what the name of it was.

1 hour ago, j7n said:

How much memory do you have committed in Task Manager when the game has been played for a long time? I'm not familiar with the RAM reading that this OSD gives, if it is the total including driver memory.

For Most Wanted you can lighten the load by turning down some settings, like the shadows and the orange tint (it still remains plenty brown with it off).

If the card is fanless, it might not be usable at full load in Summer. I previously had a GT 610, and it overheated and crashed after a long chase with the cops (aaargh). But it also had a higher power consumption being a previous generation model.

Don't you need CUDA to watch videos with GPU decoding? I think what the program reports is a small missing DLL. The bulk of the CUDA stuff is still there. I no longer use WinXP, so I can't check what the name of it was.

what OSD shows is correct, around 1.2GB ram (total ram is 4GB DDR2 in the pc). I already lowered some settings in the game such as no Anti-Aliasing. but other details are full. game resolution is 1024x768 even monitor resolution is 1680x1050.

Dont know much about CUDA, isnt it automatically managed by GPU? when i use non-supported (modded) drivers, GPU-Z doesnt show CUDA enabled. dont know why.

and it is not summer yet. Room temp is around 21-22.

i replaced thermal paste (Arctic MX-4) on GT710 few weeks ago, dont know why it is overheating that much. what temps others experiencing?

Edited by MinimumAttic410

2 hours ago, j7n said:

Don't you need CUDA to watch videos with GPU decoding?

DXVA, not CUDA, is used for hardware video decoding. CUDA can be used to speed up video encoding, but not all programs can do it, on such a weak card the speed will be low, and hardware codecs make video quality worse than software codecs.

In MPC-HC they have an interface that accesses PureVideo via CUDA. The decoding is done with the same hardware module, but they say that it is done with a CUDA wrapper. There is also a very useful FLAC encoder that uses CUDA, FLACCL from CUETools. It was too slow to be of use with GT 610, but with GT 750 it is very good. At the highest setting it encodes much faster.

11 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

...EDIT: terrible high temps while gaming :

...EDIT2: ran 3dmark2001se benchmark 2nd time, no freeze at all. still need more time to be sure. But high GPU temps are concerning.

Interesting; since your card is nvKepler arch. (more compiler dependent shader processor), it looks like this version of the driver really occupies the shaders in some way. Just strap a fan over its heatsink, connect it to 5 V to make it silent and monitor temperature. As long as it's stable.

16 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

Now installed iCafe driver - 347.26-espresso-icafe-winxp-international.exe

GPU-Z shows OpenGL version 4.5

btOVC4K.png

3dmark2001se, didnt cause any freeze issue at 1st test. but needs more testing.

This driver will not crash, it's known to be stable with old cards/systems/boards.

It may have a bit less results in tests, but it's not noticeable in gaming.

"Best driver for GTX 960 so far. Finally my TERA Online issues are gone . Those are far far more stable than 347.25 or 347.52."

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/geforce-icafe-347-26-whql-driver.396457/page-4

16 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

terrible high temps while gaming :

PCkKD8C.jpeg

EDIT2: ran 3dmark2001se benchmark 2nd time, no freeze at all. still need more time to be sure. But high GPU temps are concerning.

These temps are related to the B1 revision of your card. I had two GTX780 with A1 and B1 revisions.

A1 was cool and silent. B1 was hotter and noisier. Also, it had a tendency to crash with newer drivers after 347.26. That's why I know the problem,

You can try to replace your cooling solution or apply MX4.