The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

VERY cool! Now, prepare to another walk, with the sunset...:worship:

I've not, but after reading your posting I will do just that. Its about 11AM and not too humid today. Thank you for caring and I'm "Grateful" for your advice.

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

VERY cool! Now, prepare to another walk, with the sunset...:worship:

... and I will try to be positive today, need to rob negative energy of its strength (and hold/grip) and replace it with positivity. Same with "Worry" ... replace. 

Ok, I'm off .... ugh, easier said as I already feel anxiety and panic. It shouldn't be this way, Wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Hey gyus , is a there a function on this website, where I can block certain countries from contacting me ? Be it posts or e-mails .

Some filtering rules , like we had on POF before the tolerance crap happened.  Thanks.

@D.Draker, could we buy the axolots, please?. 

Axolotl brain: Study reveals unique ability to regenerate

b6dcff50-d37f-4cba-ace3-a87b4e0514f2_w94

Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) Photo: Paul Starosta/Getty Images

The axolotl is famous for being able to regrow legs and organs. A team of researchers has now tracked down the processes behind it.

In its native Mexico, the axolotl has become rare.

On the other hand, it thrives in research laboratories.

Because the salamander has long fascinated laypeople and experts alike - especially its ability to regenerate severed limbs or even organs such as parts of the heart.

They just grow back within a few weeks.

Researchers have once again tracked down this amphibian's wondrous ability to regenerate.

In one study, they created a cell map of parts of his brain.

Because there, too, it was found that eight weeks after an injury to the forebrain, which is also responsible for processing smells, all the lost nerve cells in the test animals had been replaced.

Some of them have rebuilt their old connections to neighboring cells, said Katharina Lust from the Vienna Research Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP).

She is co-author of the study published in the journal Science.

"But we don't yet know whether the restored neural network will actually work as before," says Lust.

In search of the secret of regeneration

Led by Elly Tanaka (IMP) and Barbara Treutlein from ETH Zurich, the research team mapped cell types in the axolotl forebrain and characterized the cells that give the newt its extraordinary ability to regenerate.

They also compared the cells with those of turtles and mice.

In the evolutionary tree, amphibians split off from the rest of the vertebrates about 350 million years ago.

Until now it was not known how similar the axolotl brain is to other vertebrate brains.

The researchers also identified clusters of neurons in the axolotl brain that correspond to the mouse and turtle hippocampus, a region responsible for memory and learning.

"Mapping cell types in the axolotl brain not only brings evolutionary insights into the vertebrate brain, but also paves the way for innovative research on brain regeneration," says Tanaka.

The aim is to understand what brain stem cells do after an injury - which genes they activate, how they interact and how they restore neurons that reconnect the lost connections.

The question is how each cell knows what to do, says Lust.

In earlier studies, scientists had already investigated which cells in the axolotl are responsible for the regrowth of limbs.

According to a 2018 paper, they are ordinary connective tissue cells.

They just rewind in their development.

Highly specialized body cells, so-called fibroblasts, become progenitor cells that can form different types of connective tissue - whether skin, bones or tendons.

Human fibroblasts cannot do this.

When we are injured, they transform into so-called myofibroblasts, which form scar tissue.

HERE: https://newsrnd.com/tech/2022-09-01-axolotl-brain--study-reveals-unique-ability-to-regenerate.H1X18_CJo.html

The fabulous world of the axolotl
In its native Mexico, the axolotl is almost extinct. In German research laboratories, however, it is thriving. Scientists are studying its fascinating ability to regenerate severed limbs. The axolotl also cuts a fine figure in the home aquarium.

Photos (fabulous!) HERE: https://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/wundersame-wesen-die-fabelhafte-welt-der-axolotl-fotostrecke-62181.html

...and HERE: https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/axolotl-forscher-entschluesseln-geheimnis-des-wunderlurchs-a-1230224.html

Researchers unravel the secret of the wonder lizard
Legs, parts of the heart, brain and spine - everything grows back in the axolotl. Now researchers are sure: responsible for this are cells that also occur in humans.

If an axolotl loses a leg or even parts of organs, this is not a big problem for the caudate amphibians. Within a few weeks, replacements grow back. Researchers have long puzzled over how the survival artists from Mexico manage this. Some suspected, for example, that axolotls had a kind of miracle cell that set the healing process in motion.

An international team of researchers has now investigated exactly which body regions are responsible for the amazing regeneration. However, they have not come across any magic cells. Instead, ordinary cells of the connective tissue apparently cause entire limbs to grow back, the scientists report in the journal "Science" .

The amazing thing: These cells also exist in mammals, including humans. In humans, however, they do not provide for miraculous healing, but for scars.

11 images
Photo: IMP Research Institute of Molecular Pathology
How can this be? "The connective tissue cells of axolotls simply rewind in their development," says Leipzig researcher Tobias Gerber, who was involved in the study. Highly specialized somatic cells, so-called fibroblasts, are thus transformed back into progenitor cells that can form different types of connective tissue - whether skin, bone or tendons.

Similar all-rounder cells are also found in the arm buds of embryos. They virtually have the blueprint of the limbs and ensure that everything grows exactly as it should.

Scientists have now succeeded for the first time in observing regeneration in axolotls at the cellular level. The studies were conducted at the Research Institute for Molecular Pathology (IMP) in Vienna, the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (MPI-EVA) in Leipzig and the Center for Regenerative Therapies in Dresden (CRTD).

The researchers first labeled and isolated connective tissue cells from the animals and then decoded individual gene sequences. This allowed them to determine exactly which of the thousands and thousands of cells were responsible for the amazing healing. "It was like turning the contents of a fruit bowl into juice without knowing what types of fruit the bowl contained," says IMP's Prayag Murawala.

Reprogramming human cells

Humans also have fibroblasts - but they don't produce a miracle cure like the axolotl. Instead, when injured, they transform into so-called myofibroblasts, which form scar tissue. "It would be great, of course, if we could also reprogram human cells to repeat their embryonic arm development process," Gerber says.

But he says there is still a long way to go before that happens. That's because researchers don't yet know which genes are responsible for the amazing regenerative ability. So even if humans theoretically had the ability to regrow organs, limbs or sensory cells, researchers don't yet know the switch that sets the process in motion.

In the video: How caudates heal wounds
SPIEGEL ONLINE
Compared to humans, the axolotl's genome is complicated. With 32 billion base pairs, the animals' genome is more than ten times as large as the human genome. Researchers only recently succeeded in decoding it.

They discovered several genes that are unique to the axolotl and other amphibian species and are active in regenerating tissue. In contrast, an important and widespread developmental gene called PAX3 was missing; its function is taken over in the axolotl by a related gene called PAX7. Both genes play key roles in muscle and nerve development.

Despite their amazing ability to regenerate, axolotls are considered to be in danger of extinction. There are now more specimens living in laboratories than in the wild. An adult axolotl is milk white, olive green or black and can live up to 20 years.

They spend their entire lives in the larval stage. That is, unlike the vast majority of amphibians, they become sexually mature without first undergoing metamorphosis. Axolotls lay up to 1500 eggs four times a year.

Edited by msfntor

A promising treatment for trisomy 21

9/1/2022, 8:11:02 PM

For people with Down syndrome, the issue of empowerment in adulthood is key.

This disease, characterized by the presence of a third chromosome 21, whole or partial, induces, among other things, an intellectual deficiency of varying degrees.

However, French and Swiss researchers have obtained interesting results by administering hormone treatment to adults with Down syndrome for six months.

The molecule used is GnRH, a hormone naturally produced by the hypothalamus in the brain to regulate reproduction and puberty.

Why the researchers, whose work is published this Thursday in

Science

, did they pay attention to him in trisomy 21?

On the one hand, previous studies have shown that neurons sensitive to this hormone have an action in regions of the brain controlling cognition - the reason why the same molecule is also beginning to be tested in Alzheimer's disease....

HERE: https://newsrnd.com/tech/2022-09-01-a-promising-treatment-for-trisomy-21.BJzC3rd0ki.html

Edited by msfntor

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Hey gyus , is a there a function on this website, where I can block certain countries from contacting me ? Be it posts or e-mails .

Some filtering rules , like we had on POF before the tolerance crap happened.  Thanks.

Address this question to the moderators rather?...

57 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Lol, 2 rabbits are eating a cucumber, and the dog is sitting there doing nothing.

Continue to share more like these, this one is so funny!

What if you guys search for similar things on the web and post them in our threads? This would make my job easier...:dubbio:

Edited by msfntor

I'm sorry, what is POF?

Maybe I missed something, wouldn't be the first time on here. I don't even accept private messages any-longer unless from a Moderator. I'll admit, I also don't like to be contacted unexpectedly from anybody anymore, that would invade my personal space - this is a huge issues both online and in real life. I never allow people to get close anymore; ever. 

Yeah, would be awesome to see new postings from people about their interests, always good to share good news.

Make no room for negativity and be; positive, positive, positive!