The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/emotional-fitness/201912/ten-tips-the-new-year Ten Tips for the New Year!

New Year’s resolutions really only work for gyms. They get lots of sign-ups, but more than half the people who make the costly commitment do not follow through. Personally, I like to be inspired, not directed, and forcing myself into a smelly gym is not my thing. Here are some other ideas about making changes that may work a little better for you, too, as you prepare for the New Year.

Believe in fresh starts. Most people either have this attitude or would like to have it. Make it a reality for yourself by adopting a fresh-start mindset. Everything is new again, and you get a psychic do-over on January 1.

See your resolutions as a growth process. Making a list of the changes you want to see in your life is a good way to start off the New Year, and knowing that you don’t have to do them all at once also helps.

Let go of past resentments. I do this every year. For most of us, everyday living can sometimes trigger bad memories. And even if you’re in the habit of regularly letting go of negative emotions, an annual purge won’t hurt.

Prepare for the year ahead. It may be a good time to do some financial planning, like creating a budget or getting your taxes going. Squaring away as much of your financial burden as you can at the start of the year will make the rest easier.

Choose a healthy lifestyle. This isn’t a one-time thing but rather an ongoing choice and attitude toward life. Joining a gym won’t help you if you eat junk food. It’s all about balance and making decisions that you just know are good for you.

Forgive yourself first. You may not see it, but you’ve probably been too hard on yourself this past year, and it would be a good to let yourself off the hook. None of us is perfect. We all make mistakes, and perhaps yours was not even that profound, so stop giving yourself grief. Let it go.

Apologize if you need to. Is there anyone to whom you owe an apology? If so, why not get it over with and use the holiday spirit as a motivational tool? Admitting you were wrong can be hard, but living with the regret or guilt is harder. All it takes is a simple “I’m sorry.”

Be better to yourself. Usually we make resolutions for other people, but it’s wise to make a promise to be better to yourself as well. This doesn’t mean to be indulgent but to be psychically kinder to yourself.

Keep your cool. This is going to be a very interesting political year, and everyone is going to have an opinion. I strongly urge you to choose to participate but to also keep any toxicity away from your relationships.

Keep your promises. A resolution is a promise you’ve made to yourself, and that’s a good thing. Keeping promises you’ve made to those who count on you is even better. We all slip up sometimes. When that happens, it’s important to remember that we’re only human and then have the courage to own up.

This is a new year, with new joys and challenges. Be open to the good, don’t hold on to the bad, and try to be a little bit nicer than anyone else. That alone can make for a good year

Edited by legacyfan

10 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

So much noise from new year celebrations, ugh. What is there to celebrate anyway? Every year is worse than the previous one. Not looking forward to 2023.

there could also be lots of good things happening next year (it could happen) we should not be sad about the next year just because of what happened the year before we should enjoy what the new years brings and fix what went wrong the year before

Edited by legacyfan

35 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

So much noise from new year celebrations, ugh. What is there to celebrate anyway? Every year is worse than the previous one. Not looking forward to 2023.

I hope things change for the better for you. Very hard sometimes to remember the bright spots.

from here ---->  https://www.xavier.edu/jesuitresource/online-resources/prayer-index/new-years-prayers                                                                                                                  New Year's Prayer

As the dawn breaks on a new year, let us give thanks for all we hold dear: our health, our family and our friends.

Let us release our grudges, our anger and our pains, for these are nothing but binding chains. Let us live each day in the most loving ways, the God-conscious way. Let us serve all who are in need, regardless of race, color or creed.

Let us keep God of our own understanding in our hearts and to chant God's name each day. Let us lead the world from darkness to light, from falsehood to truth and from wrong to right.

Let us remember that we are all one, embracing all, discriminating against none.

May your year be filled with peace, prosperity and love. May God's blessings shower upon you and bestow upon each of you a bright, healthy and peaceful new year.

- Rev. Marcy Sheremetta

Edited by legacyfan

One of my parents passed away this year and that person's death opened a whole can of worms. That person had another kid with another person long time ago and that kid is a real piece of work. The kid went crying to the lawyer and attacked us about heritage, despite already getting a very valuable possession long ago from the deceased parent. On top of that, the kid didn't give the damn about the sick parent, whose sickness eventually lead to demise and who couldn't take take care of oneself on its own in the last months of their life.

So it's gonna cut into savings, it already has, lawyers are expensive, but will try to salvage as much as possible. I'm not too hopeful as the laws in this stinkhole are retarded. Who cares if you were actually there for the person, but someone who didn't lift the finger can get money just like that.

And we're talking of someone driven by nothing but greed. We didn't really have any connections with those people, my parent split with that person and started again. I could tell from once in a bluemoon visits from the "other side" they can wipe their asses with money.

My parents were a strange couple TBH. The deceased one considered it all agreed upon (regarding that s*** that's happening now). But they didn't think of such possibility.

I didn't choose to have to deal with this crap. My remaining parent got ill for over the week from the shock after receiving the letter from the lawyer from the "other side". Imagine the dread of taking care of someone that was completely helpless, then that person dying and then receiving such letter. This is not how grieving process should like and it's not something I can ignore, it fell upon me to do something.

I didn't choose to come into the world ruled by greed and corruption (or being born in general). But here I am and quitting ain't easy. So I improvise. Day by day. I try to forget about this thing, but got reminded with a recent mail from our lawyer letting us know what "they" were snooping at.

19 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

...But here I am and quitting ain't easy. So I improvise. Day by day...

Yes, yes, and yes ... day-by-day is how I take life now. Each new year, its behind you and don't look too far ahead.

Edited by XPerceniol

2 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Not always the case, to be honest. 2021 was, in fact, better than 2020.

The personal perspectives will differ. I'm not prone to optimism bias.

Either way, 1h into new year here. It's peaceful again, the banging has stopped.