The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

Inside the Mediterranean sea’s ‘animal forests’: an encounter with the gorgonian corals

Gorgonians are an order of soft corals that belong to the large group of Cnidaria, which also includes hard corals, sea anemones, jellyfish and many other species. Gorgonians colonise the seabed all over the world, from shallow coastal areas to deep sea canyons, temperate and tropical areas to polar zones.

Gorgonians’ skeleton can be soft or rigid, horny or calcareous. These organisms can form dense communities that structure the seabed, constituting “animal forests” offering a refuge to a myriad of marine species.

One of the most beautiful underwater landscapes in the Mediterranean

In the Mediterranean, a total of five main species of gorgonians can be found living up to 100 metres below the surface. One of them, Paramuricea clavata, forms remarkable populations both by its red colours and the size of its colonies, which can exceed 1 metre in height.

It is one of the most beautiful underwater landscapes in the western Mediterranean, popular among both amateur divers and underwater photographers. The colonies are either male or female and all originate from the planula, a free-swimming or crawling larva type common among Cnidaria. Egg-shaped, the planula uses hairlike projections called cilia to propel itself through the water. It grows slowly (2 to 3 cm/year at most) and can live several decades.

file-20220328-19-2271qa.JPG?ixlib=rb-1.1

The large purple gorgonian (Paramuricea clavata) is a typical species from the circalittoral rocky bottoms and coralligenous bottoms in the Mediterranean. Dorian Guillemain, CC BY-NC-ND

MORE: https://theconversation.com/inside-the-mediterranean-seas-animal-forests-an-encounter-with-the-gorgonian-corals-180194

43 minutes ago, msfntor said:

Inside the Mediterranean sea’s ‘animal forests’: an encounter with the gorgonian corals

Gorgonians are an order of soft corals that belong to the large group of Cnidaria, which also includes hard corals, sea anemones, jellyfish and many other species. Gorgonians colonise the seabed all over the world, from shallow coastal areas to deep sea canyons, temperate and tropical areas to polar zones.

Gorgonians’ skeleton can be soft or rigid, horny or calcareous. These organisms can form dense communities that structure the seabed, constituting “animal forests” offering a refuge to a myriad of marine species.

One of the most beautiful underwater landscapes in the Mediterranean

In the Mediterranean, a total of five main species of gorgonians can be found living up to 100 metres below the surface. One of them, Paramuricea clavata, forms remarkable populations both by its red colours and the size of its colonies, which can exceed 1 metre in height.

It is one of the most beautiful underwater landscapes in the western Mediterranean, popular among both amateur divers and underwater photographers. The colonies are either male or female and all originate from the planula, a free-swimming or crawling larva type common among Cnidaria. Egg-shaped, the planula uses hairlike projections called cilia to propel itself through the water. It grows slowly (2 to 3 cm/year at most) and can live several decades.

file-20220328-19-2271qa.JPG?ixlib=rb-1.1

The large purple gorgonian (Paramuricea clavata) is a typical species from the circalittoral rocky bottoms and coralligenous bottoms in the Mediterranean. Dorian Guillemain, CC BY-NC-ND

MORE: https://theconversation.com/inside-the-mediterranean-seas-animal-forests-an-encounter-with-the-gorgonian-corals-180194

really cool photos @msfntor! the correl looks beautifull

Hummingbirds See Colors Humans Can Only Imagine

by MessageToEaglemessagetoeaglebestnews.jpg

hummingbirdvision.jpg

Don Wood – MessageToEagle.com – Humans are color-blind compared to birds and many other animals. As an example, we can mention hummingbirds that can see colors humans can only imagine.

To find food, dazzle mates, escape predators, and navigate diverse terrain, birds rely on their excellent color vision.

While humans have three color cones in the retina sensitive to red, green and blue light, birds have a fourth color cone that can detect ultraviolet light. A research team led by Princeton’s Mary Caswell Stoddard trained wild hummingbirds, like this male broad-tailed hummingbird, to perform a series of experiments that revealed that the tiny birds also see combination colors like ultraviolet+green and ultraviolet+red. The male’s magenta throat feathers are likely perceived by birds as an ultraviolet+purple combination color. Photo by David Inouye, Department of Biology, University of Maryland-College Park

Humans have three types of color-sensitive cones in their eyes – attuned to red, green and blue light,  but birds have a fourth type, sensitive to ultraviolet light.

“Not only does having a fourth color cone type extend the range of bird-visible colors into the UV, it potentially allows birds to perceive combination colors like ultraviolet+green and ultraviolet+red, but this has been hard to test,” said Mary Caswell Stoddard, an assistant professor in the Princeton University Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology....

More: https://www.messagetoeagle.com/hummingbirds-see-colors-humans-can-only-imagine/

Edited by msfntor

Fascinating Virtual Avatar Of Mysterious Egtved Girl Created – What Is Her Story?

AncientPages.com | December 19, 2022

egtvedgirlavatar.jpgCredit: National Museum in Copenhagen

Jan Bartek - AncientPages.com - Found in 1921 near the village of Egtved, the remains of a girl who lived around 1370 B.C. are one of the best-known and intriguing Danish Bronze Age finds. The Egtved girl is still an archaeological mystery.

Some years ago, scientists conducted strontium isotope analyses of the girl’s hair, teeth and nails, show that she was born and raised hundreds of miles from Egtved, most probably in the Black Forest area in Southern Germany, and that she arrived in Egtved shortly before she died. Today scientists have little doubt the Egtved girl came from far away, but how and why did she end up in Denmark?

That the Egtved Girl in all probability came from the Black Forest region in Germany comes as no surprise to professor Kristian Kristiansen from the University of Gothenburg; the archaeological finds confirm that there were close relations between Denmark and Southern Germany in the Bronze Age....

More: https://www.ancientpages.com/2022/12/19/fascinating-virtual-avatar-of-mysterious-egtved-girl-created-what-is-her-story/

Mysterious Rock Inscription Found In Brittany Baffles Experts – Reward If You Can Decipher It

by AncientPages.com 

frenchinscription.jpg

Conny Waters - AncientPages.comFrench experts are baffled by an ancient rock inscription found in Brittany. A reward of 2000 Euros ( $2,248) is now being offered to anyone who can solve what has become officially known as "The Champollion Mystery at Plougastel-Daoulas", honoring Jean-François Champollion, the linguist who deciphered the Rosetta Stone's ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics in the 19th Century.

French experts are baffled by this mystery inscription on a rock in Brittany. Credit: AFP

The 230-year-old inscription was found near the Brittany village of Plougastel. The message consists of 20 lines of writing. Some of the French letters are reversed or upside-down and there are also a few Scandinavian-style Ø letters.

Several historians and archaeologists have tired to decipher the message, but with no luck so far.

The years, 1786 and 1787 suggest the inscription was made some years before the French Revolution.

As BBC reports, “There is also the image of a ship with sails and rudder, and a sacred heart - a heart surmounted by a cross.

But the writing has defied all attempts at interpretation by local academics. Some think it may be in old Breton or Basque, and that the person who wrote it may only have been semi-literate....

More: https://www.ancientpages.com/2019/05/15/mysterious-rock-inscription-found-in-brittany-baffles-experts-reward-if-you-can-decipher-it/

A Christmas Moment

By Joseph J. Mazzella • December 14, 2022

u0ta0-santa.jpg

It was a rainy, December day 30 years ago. A cold hung in the air that chilled you to the bones. I was even wishing the temperature would drop a few more degrees so at least it would snow. My wife and I were standing in a line at a volunteer fire department building with our two year old daughter, Beth. It was going to be her first time meeting Santa and my wife had brought her camera along to catch the moment.

When Santa finally appeared with his bag of gifts most of the other younger children backed away in fear at this strange man with a big white beard and red suit. My daughter didn’t, however. She wasn’t scared at all. I think it was because one of her grandpas had a beard even bushier than Santa’s. Instead she literally jumped up and down with joy in a little circle almost coming out of her snow boots in the process. Seeing her happiness Santa approached her first. “Ho Ho Ho! What do you want for Christmas little girl,” he asked. Beth didn’t say anything. She just reached up and gave Santa the biggest hug in the world. My wife laughed and I smiled seeing this beautiful moment of Christmas love. And all of the sudden that cold, damp firehouse seemed warm and bright. Or perhaps it was just all of us being filled with the spirit of Christmas by watching my little girl share her love and delight.

These days my little girl is 32 but I still enjoy every warm, loving, hug she gives me and I still carry that Christmas moment in my heart and mind to warm me any time this world seems too cold or bleak. It keeps my soul on the big picture. It keeps my heart on Love.

Margot Silk Forrest wrote, “The big picture is nothing more than a million moments all strung together.”

May all of your moments then be full of the spirit of Christmas. May all of your moments be full of Love. And may God live through you in them all.

Here: https://www.sunnyskyz.com/feel-good-story/3943/A-Christmas-Moment

23 minutes ago, msfntor said:

A Christmas Moment

By Joseph J. Mazzella • December 14, 2022

u0ta0-santa.jpg

It was a rainy, December day 30 years ago. A cold hung in the air that chilled you to the bones. I was even wishing the temperature would drop a few more degrees so at least it would snow. My wife and I were standing in a line at a volunteer fire department building with our two year old daughter, Beth. It was going to be her first time meeting Santa and my wife had brought her camera along to catch the moment.

When Santa finally appeared with his bag of gifts most of the other younger children backed away in fear at this strange man with a big white beard and red suit. My daughter didn’t, however. She wasn’t scared at all. I think it was because one of her grandpas had a beard even bushier than Santa’s. Instead she literally jumped up and down with joy in a little circle almost coming out of her snow boots in the process. Seeing her happiness Santa approached her first. “Ho Ho Ho! What do you want for Christmas little girl,” he asked. Beth didn’t say anything. She just reached up and gave Santa the biggest hug in the world. My wife laughed and I smiled seeing this beautiful moment of Christmas love. And all of the sudden that cold, damp firehouse seemed warm and bright. Or perhaps it was just all of us being filled with the spirit of Christmas by watching my little girl share her love and delight.

These days my little girl is 32 but I still enjoy every warm, loving, hug she gives me and I still carry that Christmas moment in my heart and mind to warm me any time this world seems too cold or bleak. It keeps my soul on the big picture. It keeps my heart on Love.

Margot Silk Forrest wrote, “The big picture is nothing more than a million moments all strung together.”

May all of your moments then be full of the spirit of Christmas. May all of your moments be full of Love. And may God live through you in them all.

Here: https://www.sunnyskyz.com/feel-good-story/3943/A-Christmas-Moment

was this your family @msfntor? just wondering😉

Edited by legacyfan

HERE: 50 Christmas traditionshttps://daringtolivefully.com/christmas-traditions

It’s Christmas time! Here are 50 glorious Christmas traditions to get your Holidays off to a great start (for kids from 1 to 92).

1. Make a list of your ten favorite holiday songs, find a great version of these songs on YouTube, and look for the lyrics online.  Play them over and over again and sing along. Here are my favorites:

“O Holy Night” by Celtic Woman

“Believe” – by Josh Groban

“The Christmas Song”sung by Nat King Cole.

“All I Want For Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey

“It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams

So This is Christmas by Celine Dion

Do You Hear What I Hear? by Carrie Underwood

Carol of the Bells by Pentatonix

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Frank Sinatra

Let It Snow by Dean Martin

As Buddy from the 2003 movie “Elf” explains, the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.

2. Go to the tree farm to pick the perfect tree.

3. Pile into the car at night and drive around looking at all of the Holiday lights and decorations.

4. Since 1989, every resident on the 700 block of Baltimore’s 34th street has put up Christmas lights. This is known as “The Miracle on 34th Street.” Follow suit: get your neighbors together and start a tradition of being the most Christmassy street in your city.

5. Look for a Coca Cola Christmas truck. Then, watch these Coca Cola holiday commercials on YouTube:

Snow Globes Coca Cola 2010 Christmas

Coca Cola Christmas Song

6. Have some hot cocoa, Elf Judy style: “Not too hot. Extra chocolate. Shaken, not stirred.” (Elf Judy is one of Santa’s elves in the movie “The Santa Clause”.  It took her 1200 years to perfect her hot cocoa recipe.)

7. Set up a Nativity Scene. Better yet, get creative: make a Lego Nativity Scene or make one of these.

8. Put a Santa Sack under the Christmas tree and have each of your kids place any toys that they no longer play with–but that are still in good condition–in the sack. On Christmas Eve, Santa Claus takes the old toys and replaces them with new ones. The old toys are then donated.

9. Start the tradition of having a special breakfast on Christmas Day. For example, have Eggnog French Toast  or eggnog pancakes.

10. Help your kids write a letter to Santa (here are some templates you can use).

11. Write a letter from Santa addressed to each of your kids letting them know they’ve been added to the top of the “nice list”.  You can also highlight any special accomplishments they’ve had that year in the letter, so that they know how proud Santa is of them.

12. Start a tradition of having Santa bring each of your kids three gifts, one for each of the wise men. Have the gifts be something to read, something to wear, and something they really want.

13. Make photocopies of your children’s letters to Santa each year and keep them. They can read them years from now and remember back to when what they wanted most in the world was an Elmo doll.

14.  Watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas”. Charlie Brown complains to Lucy about the overwhelming materialism that he sees everywhere during the Christmas season, and how the holiday has become completely commercial. Lucy tells him that he can get into the holiday spirit by directing the school Christmas pageant. Charlie Brown accepts.

The pageant turns out to be a frustrating struggle. Charlie Brown attempts to restore the proper spirit with a forlorn little fir Christmas tree, but he just seems to make thing worse. Luckily, Linus explains what the real meaning of Christmas is and the joy of the season is restored...

... ...

22.  Watch your favorite Holiday movies. You can even host a Holiday-movie marathon. Here are some of my favorite Christmas movies:

“It’s a Wonderful Life”

“How The Grinch Stole Christmas”

“A Christmas Story”

“The Santa Clause”

“Miracle on 34th Street”

santa-at-his-desk.jpg

Read more on this very nice website, please!..:cheerleader: