The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

To Make Sense of the Present, Brains May Predict the Future | Quanta Magazine
https://www.quantamagazine.org/to-make-sense-of-the-present-brains-may-predict-the-future-20180710/

Neuroscientists have long suspected that a similar mechanism drives how the brain works. (Indeed, those speculations are part of what inspired the GQN team to pursue this approach.) According to this “predictive coding” theory, at each level of a cognitive process, the brain generates models, or beliefs, about what information it should be receiving from the level below it. These beliefs get translated into predictions about what should be experienced in a given situation, providing the best explanation of what’s out there so that the experience will make sense. The predictions then get sent down as feedback to lower-level sensory regions of the brain. The brain compares its predictions with the actual sensory input it receives, “explaining away” whatever differences, or prediction errors, it can by using its internal models to determine likely causes for the discrepancies. (For instance, we might have an internal model of a table as a flat surface supported by four legs, but we can still identify an object as a table even if something else blocks half of it from view.)

In other words, you create you own destiny. <--- I wrote this, but coppied that article. 

Edited by XPerceniol

Only humans, not computers, can learn or predict | TechCrunch
https://techcrunch.com/2016/05/05/only-humans-not-computers-can-learn-or-predict/

While this argument, in theory, sounds plausible, computers are not “creative,” do not “learn” and cannot “predict.” Computers can only be tasked with making inductive predictions based on past experiences. They can then seek complex correlations in the databases in order to present them as “Actionable Insights.”

No matter which side of the debate one falls on, DeepMind’s achievement requires us to reexamine in a more accurate way what learning and prediction actually mean.

There are two main obstacles that prevent machines from learning and predicting in the way humans do: Firstly, as mentioned above, because computers can only be tasked with making “inductive” predictions based on past experiences, the future they predict will always be a continuation of the past behavior of the actors whose behavior they are examining and trying to predict.

Here are the top Christmas movies of all time, in my eminently correct opinion. You're welcome.

Harris Rigby

··Dec 23, 2022 · NottheBee.com

"I know that everyone who reads Not the Bee always looks forward to our lists that give you the definitive non-opinion-based rankings of things like music, movies, and food.

So in the spirit of the holidays, I want to give you a definitive list of all the Christmas movies worth watching.

I won't rank them in any particular order (although there is one movie that is THE best) but just know, if it's on my list it's a keeper.

And if it's not on my list, well, there are better uses of your time.

Without further adieu, the best Christmas movies of all time.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Okay, after this they are in no particular order. But there is no doubt in my mind that the funniest, most enjoyable, and best Christmas movie of all time is from the rowdy bunch at the Griswold house.

Here's a small sample, my favorite moment of the movie:

If you can only watch one Christmas movie, make it this one.

If you have time for more, there are lots of good ones...."

HERE: https://notthebee.com/article/the-top-christmas-movies-of-all-time

On 12/22/2022 at 9:09 PM, msfntor said:

Lidl customer can't believe the amount for a "small purchase" - "Almost cried when I was out"

12/22/2022

By: Armin T. Linder

After her purchase, a Lidl customer is downright shocked at the amount she was supposed to pay at the discount store.

She almost cried.

Ludwigshafen – The rising prices in supermarkets are causing problems for many people.

Some simply accept them without complaint and shop as usual.

Others are quietly limiting themselves and are more likely to use their own brands or remove one or the other product from the shopping list.

On the other hand, those who have to turn over every cent twice have an even harder time dealing with inflation – and thus sometimes dare to go public: A poor woman recently complained about the price of three simple products at Rewe.

The tweet from a woman who claims to be a single mother of two children from the Palatinate goes in a similar direction.

She has already tweeted several times under the hashtag #ichbinarmutsaffected and has now also spoken out after visiting the supermarket.

According to the Lidl customer, she pays 82 euros for a “small purchase”

The user posted a photo of her almost complete purchase.

For this she was, as the own brands show, at the discounter Lidl....

MORE: https://newsrnd.com/life/2022-12-22-lidl-customer-can-t-believe-the-amount-for-a-"small-purchase"---"almost-cried-when-i-was-out".rJZneiTbFj.html

That's a bit sad.

Edited by mina7601

Christmas Vacation: Hap Hap Happiest Christmas!

Mavis Staples | Christmas Vacation 🎄 (HQ)

Christmas oldies

"I am 66, and grew up with these songs in my heart, and now they bring tears of joy to my eyes. Thank you."

Of course ... I hope everybody will be celebrating a traditional style holiday like we see on TV, but I'll be here tomorrow throughout parts of the day and please feel free to write if you feel alone. You are not alone. Be your own best friend and love yourself. Remember, the holidays cards with snow and everybody sitting around the fireplace with family is not always realistic, and setting such expectations only adds to sadness when its very unnecessary.

I love you.    

-Salvatore

15 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Of course ... I hope everybody will be celebrating a traditional style holiday like we see on TV, but I'll be here tomorrow throughout parts of the day and please feel free to write if you feel alone. You are not alone. Be your own best friend and love yourself. Remember, the holidays cards with snow and everybody sitting around the fireplace with family is not always realistic, and setting such expectations only adds to sadness when its very unnecessary.

I love you.    

-Salvatore

Salvatore you are so nice, too bad you don't live closer... of course you are very nice, we all love you!:cheerleader:

It's the family that came to us, very happy to see them all and to spend pleasant moments, second day already!:cheerleader:

Edited by msfntor