VLC media player 3.0.11 UI

Win10-Hater

On 12/13/2020 at 7:37 PM, TECHGEEK said:

You know why I can't rollback to earlier versions, scroll back. Also, btw, I DO understand English well but I have a god-awful 1366 by 768 TN panel on my main laptop.

I don't use custom dark themes and also Dixel's customisations make it super hard to see the difference. I strained my eyes very much trying to see it. I thought you saw what @UCyborg said about the same. 

My issue is resolved now so let's stop arguing. 

P.S. Dear @TECHGEEK , I'm terribly sorry you took it the wrong way , I have zero intensions arguing with anyone , that's why I suggested , perhaps it's your LCD who is to blame. I just want to find the real cause of this.

Edited by D.Draker
fixed user's name

24 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Our dear mentor @win32 , please come and tell us , do you see what I see and @Dixel is right again ?  I mean the patching doesn't restore the aero buttons to it's earlier beautiful style , despite what @TECHGEOK says.

Yes, I confirm that the VLC developers did change the buttons between 2.x and 3.x.

There is indeed a difference between VLC versions due to what kind of icons developers chose to put on the buttons. But this topic was started as a discussion for the solution about the technical problem that happens under specific circumstances and causes the application to render GUI in the old fashion, like how it was always done before Microsoft added visual style functionality in Windows XP.

The topic was also initially placed in Vista sub-forum, which I think was appropriate, considering it is related to Vista specific issue. The workaround ensures theming works for the application so the buttons and other GUI elements get background texture from Microsoft's Aero theme. That's all there is to it.

It doesn't seem like this discussion is going anywhere, so I believe that unless there is an interest in fixing the issue at the OS level, we can just call it a day.

BTW, I have tested the following code snippet:

SetDefaultDllDirectories(LOAD_LIBRARY_SEARCH_SYSTEM32);
HMODULE hUxThemeLib = LoadLibraryExW(L"C:\Windows\System32\UxTheme.dll", NULL, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH);

It works as expected on Vista. So if the code that loads UxTheme.dll used the absolute path, there wouldn't be a problem. It's also done like that on Win7.

Edited by UCyborg

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

P.S. Dear @TECHGOEK , I'm terribly sorry you took it the wrong way , I have zero intensions arguing with anyone , that's why I suggested , perhaps it's your LCD who is to blame. I just want to find the real cause of this.

Yeah, now I understand. My LCD is the culprit

5 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Yeah, now I understand. My LCD is the culprit

I agree with @UCyborg , there is nothing to discuss any further , now we know who's to blame . So maybe you will write to the devs then , like @Dixel suggested . Someone has to show them that we don't appreciate this ugly style. 

Edited by D.Draker
forgot to mention UCyborg

33 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

I agree with @UCyborg , there is nothing to discuss any further , now we know who's to blame . So maybe you will write to the devs then , like @Dixel suggested . Someone has to show them that we don't appreciate this ugly style. 

I've started writing to them now. I'll have finished by the next 10 minutes

EDIT: Done!

Edited by TECHGEEK

8 hours ago, D.Draker said:

P.S. Dear @TECHGOEK , I'm terribly sorry you took it the wrong way , I have zero intensions arguing with anyone , that's why I suggested , perhaps it's your LCD who is to blame. I just want to find the real cause of this.

BTW, you're misspelling my name

14 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

BTW, you're misspelling my name

It seems I'm not the only , it's hard to remember , sorry , fixed . I'm actually typing on the fly , not doing any copy/paste , so. It's just that last word  , which is giving me my own associations . 

12 hours ago, UCyborg said:

The problematic code is in one of the core Vista's system components, not VLC...

I have the same result on Win 7 N SP1 (European version , for those who are wondering) . And this is on a clean install without patches and with kb3125574-v4 installed , the result is the same , I'm sorry , I can't make that high quality pictures , like @Dixel made . I'm maybe mistaken , but you wrote that too about Win 7.

12 hours ago, UCyborg said:

The problematic code is in one of the core Vista's system components, not VLC...

I'm very sorry to bother you again , but what it has to do with our favourite Vista ? And how do you explain that previous versions worked just fine ? I thought we already confirmed and agreed that it's the devs' fault . Our mentor win32 confirmed that too , he said "Yes, I confirm that the VLC developers did change the buttons between 2.x and 3.x." I'll take his word . 

18 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I have the same result on Win 7 N SP1 (European version , for those who are wondering) . And this is on a clean install without patches and with kb3125574-v4 installed , the result is the same , I'm sorry , I can't make that high quality pictures , like @Dixel made . I'm maybe mistaken , but you wrote that too about Win 7.

That's not happening on my Win7 SP1 (Pro, non-N) test VM, but that's maybe due to having a different edition.

7 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

That's not happening on my Win7 SP1 (Pro, non-N) test VM, but that's maybe due to having a different edition.

Yeah , I agree this cheaper N version maybe the culprit , it doesn't even have mfplat files. But VM is a different story though. Do you have a normal version to test on real hardware and upload the pictures here ? It's no hurry , of course . Thanks .

9 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Yeah , I agree this cheaper N version maybe the culprit , it doesn't even have mfplat files. But VM is a different story though. Do you have a normal version to test on real hardware and upload the pictures here ? It's no hurry , of course . Thanks .

No, VM, though I can share pictures.

Btw, I'm away from my computer now, so it will take some time to upload