VLC media player 3.0.11 UI

Win10-Hater

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Why the aero looks so strange , more like windows 7 ?

That's because 7 is based on Vista entirely. The Aero, the interface, the navigation, everything in Windows Vista was a foundation for how 7 looked like.

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

VLC 3.0.11 without modifications:

bZMJ7Fj.png

6YJSieo.png

VLC 3.0.11 with modded vlc.exe that doesn't call SetDefaultDllDirectories(LOAD_LIBRARY_SEARCH_SYSTEM32) - API was added with KB2533623 update

quMDpEP.png

P950kgt.png

I don't have the KB2533623 update installed, still, I have those flat buttons. How to mod the vlc.exe and what tools should I use? 

Very sorry if I'm asking too many questions

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by TECHGEEK

9 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

I don't have the KB2533623 update installed, still, I have those flat buttons. How to mod the vlc.exe and what tools should I use? 

Very sorry if I'm asking too many questions

Thanks in advance :)

Btw, this issue occured even when using a 100% clean Vista SP2 with no updates at all.

I haven't researched regarding whether that API existed before that update, just the documentation says that it does. I described the workaround how to modify the vlc.exe in one of my previous posts. Any hex editor, such as HxD will do.

48 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

I haven't researched regarding whether that API existed before that update, just the documentation says that it does. I described the workaround how to modify the vlc.exe in one of my previous posts. Any hex editor, such as HxD will do.

What characters to modify exactly? I tried removing one letter from the text string SetDefaultDllDirectories but then I am greeted with the "This program is not a valid Win32 application" error. Should I modify hex values of string values?

Again, I am very sorry for too many questions as I know almost nothing about hex editing, dll customisation and stuff like that. 

You shouldn't remove any byte as that will make the entire binary file useless. Just put the text cursor in front of "S" of SetDefaultDllDirectories (the hex value of 53 will get highlighted so you'll see what to change), then put the cursor in front of highlighted 53 and make it 00. Before you type it, make sure the program is in Overwrite mode, it's indicated in the status bar and can be changed by pressing Insert key. Overwrite mode is default though and the program warns you when you make any action that changes the size of the file.

Edited by UCyborg

9 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

You shouldn't remove any byte as that will make the entire binary file useless. Just put the text cursor in front of "S" of SetDefaultDllDirectories (the hex value of 53 will get highlighted so you'll see what to change), then put the cursor in front of highlighted 53 and make it 00. Before you type it, make sure the program is in Overwrite mode, it's indicated in the status bar and can be changed by pressing Insert key. Overwrite mode is default though and the program warns you when you make any action that changes the size of the file.

Thanks a lot! It works!

13 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

That's because 7 is based on Vista entirely. The Aero, the interface, the navigation, everything in Windows Vista was a foundation for how 7 looked like.

Thanks cap. , I know . You misunderstood me , compare it to the picture published by Dixel , his aero shape is much more pleasant and looks like Vista should look . And these are like windows 7 , aero , but flat.

On 12/10/2020 at 12:10 AM, UCyborg said:

A workaround equivalent to downgrading to older version of VLC as far as control styling and DLL hijacking exploits are concerned would be to to search vlc.exe with a hex editor for "SetDefaultDllDirectories" and replace a single letter in that word with something else, just don't insert or delete anything, only replace.

At least that works if program doesn't check itself for integrity, I've yet to try it with VLC specifically, though I guess there are good chances that it works.

Hello , that's a very fine research ! I can confirm it also works with MPC-HC (a very similar player , also free) . By any chance , do you know how to force DTS HD with MPC-HC  ? It's quite OK in terms of picture quality , but it's sound defaults to simple DTS (compressed core or even PCM stereo) , if any HD track is selected in options. VLC plays DTS HD with receiver just fine . But with MPC-HC , not . Thanks.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:11 PM, D.Draker said:

Those aren't 'retro' , those are FLAT , 'modern' type , Win10  style . 

Yes, I see what VideoLan did to VLC. Those Win10 buttons look very boring, don't you think :puke:? I hate those square, bland buttons.

This pic is from a Windows 10 VM that I have for testing

1939684410_vlcnew.thumb.jpg.8e4d994d8ffb5951d73f0575ba491978.jpg

However, VLC on Windows 7 looks like how it is supposed to look on Vista also with proper, curved buttons, somewhat matching with Aero design (without modifications to vlc.exe).  Peculiar.

Edited by TECHGEEK

49 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

Yes, I see what VideoLan did to VLC. Those Win10 buttons look very boring, don't you think :puke:? I hate those square, bland buttons.

They didn't do anything, it uses buttons provided by the operating system by default.

54 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

However, VLC on Windows 7 looks like how it is supposed to look on Vista also with proper, curved buttons, somewhat matching with Aero design (without modifications to vlc.exe).  Peculiar.

Because Win7+ doesn't have the bug that Vista has.