Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

The other message here might be...  although you CAN buy little stickers to fit a socket lga771 xeon into a socket 775, and hack the BIOS for support...its doable, but.

Maybe running a top shelf X5470 is a little too hard on the VRMs.. even if it was a 3rd Gen 8 Phase Asus.. :o , ran for a year before it blew.

Back to a spare E8200 and a replacement motherboard. (I sold my prized Q6600 for some daft reason).

The new board locks up at login with the xeon... it took some bios tweaks last time I can't seem to replicate. C-States or Load Line Cal...

Lesson learned.. but the media center has the same mod and runs 20hrs a day... Borrowed time perhaps :whistle: (And where the spare cpu came from- they were upgraded almost at the same time).

Sigh.

Maybe trash everything and get a super duper dual E7 Xeon workstation motherboard, populate it with monster resources, then run everything else in virtual machines?  Kind of a quality not quantity thing...  Good on whatever perpetually-licensed OS you put on it well into the future...

Just thinking out loud...

-Noel

Hi ralcool :yes:

I agree with NoelC on this one...

This is sort of what I was getting at earlier....there are solutions to the problem as long as one is prepared to look outside of the box...

You can continue to run products for as long as the virtual software supports them...

There is no shortage of decent motherboards, processors, psu's, memory. graphics cards that are up to the task...

Of course no one wants to have to run everything in virtual software - but these days it has proved its worth over and over again

I fell in love with the Adobe CS series and was ****** angry when they adopted the cloud based solutions and not give the customer the right to buy their products as before.

I do have a CS6 and even if the newer cloud based ones offer add-ons that I would like to use....I will just continue running CS6 for as long as it is viable for the work I want to do and most of that can be achieved in Virtual Software if needed...

Maybe trash everything and get a super duper dual E7 Xeon workstation motherboard, populate it with monster resources, then run everything else in virtual machines?  Kind of a quality not quantity thing...  Good on whatever perpetually-licensed OS you put on it well into the future...

-Noel

I like the idea of this super duper dual E7 Xeon workstation motherboard as a next build for myself...yes they cost but the rewards are their and I could continue running my Windows 7 without the support for a long time to come.....

So, even if I would not be buying or upgrading to newer versions of Windows if they don't change their path...I will have a computer that can run the older versions for some time to come....

I already run most versions in vmware on one of my servers...

bookie32

I have come up with a solution to the Windows 10 problem! I am bringing back the Sneaker Net, no networks, floppy disk, cds/dvds, & no updates/call home just peace of mind.

-helpdesk98

Edited by helpdesk98

@NoelC

in theory as long as the hardware was in tacked and you had no need to run new software the system could run for a very long time. My 98 lasted for a long time in this state with no issues running the same old software (tbh I don't think I ever had it connected to the internet). A sneaker net is not a great solution for most people in my case my needs are low I run the same programs not much changes I do not do any online game play so updates for software is not critical to me. 

Edit:

I just realized my previous post makes no sense sorry for that I have a scatter brain lol.

Edited by helpdesk98

You may have been able to run an older OS forever, but that was then.

The New Microsoft is a whole new ballgame; past performance is no guarantee of future results.

They're BANKING on people assuming things will be like they were in the past...  But they've already proven they're not.  They're using up every bit of the entire reputation their company has built for immediate gain.

-Noel

My current thoughts about it are as follows: 2k to Vista remain safe to use indefinitely, and it may be feasible to port 7 drivers to Vista, when necessary. 8.0 is crap. 7 and 8.1 can be mantained indefinitely with good backups and perpetual vigilance. 10? Who wants that crap? 

And that's what I meant with "resistance is futile", some posts back: trying to resist may be possible but, AFAICS, not at 10 level. IMO, if you are on 10, you've been already assimilated. My 2¢ only, of course.

-Noel

Well yes but, while running the almost 'Premium' versions of the Penryn/Nehalem generation cpus with appropriate MBs + decent ssds, I feel future proofed for some time yet. Speed isn't my issue. I also pick between an old supercharged V6 or a small block V8 to drive daily.

Visualization gives back things like Win16 support using a licensed copy of XP, or that time I drank white wine and ran OSx on the HP laptop in hacked VMware. Its fun, but it also too much for something as simple as a serial or parallel connected contrivance that needs an OS as basic as DOS to run.

So DOS isn't dead. But that is the message.  The sheep in the paddock don't know it isn't still 1950.  Code is never obsolete.

An Atari ST is still usable today. You should see mine, things we did, upgrades we risked... that's a whole different forum. Now a retired project.

Hang on to real hardware.. M$ should release XP as open source, or make it essentially unsupported and free from activation.

All security is on the user IF the machine is connected to the internet... browsers and firewalls should be 3rd party.

Now image how right now, there are kiosks in India running simple windows for the kids.. this is where the waste technology filters down to occasionally..... an old Packard Bell 486 can connect a community. A solar panel and a cell phone for internet. Care to laugh?

bleh

A fellow small block V8 aficionado.  Cool!  Mine's been apart for far too long...  Got to go find some time to wrench on it soon.

I wasn't being critical, or even particularly philosophical.  Practically speaking, I do what I suggested and I find managing a smaller number of hardware systems easier than a larger number, even though the software systems inside the VMs do require attention - but of course none of us has the same needs or uses for our computer gear.  I do have a dedicated server separate from my workstation, so I also fully understand that there are real needs for hardware systems.

-Noel

Hi again!

Well, I must say it is sad when one goes out to ones customers with all the information regarding this crap from Microsoft - many still go out and buy or upgrade and ignore the consequences of that....

I am getting calls every day where customers have tried to update and it hasn't worked....!!!

I say we can fix most things but I recommend resetting to Windows 7 or 8.1...had a customer ring and ask me to reset the computer...."don't we need to back up my files before doing so" was the reply!!!

I am very good at giving my customers detailed information about what one should and shouldn't do before upgrading etc....shame that a lot of them don't seem to have ever learnt to read....???????????

My girlfriend says that I try too hard to save the customers money....just take it off them because they don't listen to what you are trying to tell them....

I almost agree with her on that score....

This fiasco with upgrading to Windows 10 is long from over and I am already fed up with resetting computers.....

Not unhappy about making money....of course :angel

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

It has to do with Microsoft having built up a reputation over an entire lifetime.  People cannot believe this is the same company.  That will continue until the new Microsoft has squeezed every drop of credibility out of their name.

People need to understand that the company is no longer being led by the same visionary who set the rules before.  People used to criticize Bill Gates, but a geek is still always better than any marketing person to lead a technical company.  That being said, I'm not sensing a lot of good things from Nadella.  I guess it just takes the right geek.

It seems to me this would be a good time for Apple to make available a licensable version of OSX that would run on every PC on the planet.  Then we could all figure out how to make the transition, maybe with the help of WINE et. al., to a Unix base so we can all continue to be productive into a Microsoft-irrelevant future.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I was always hoping for OSX to get "PC", even more so when they announced it will run on Intel

and I would gladly replace winblows with OSX even if I never used it

when I saw what Leopard/Snow Leo brings I was amaized

they literaly (or whatever its spelled) crushed and went ahead winblows by 10 years at that point

yes i know about iPC or whatever those hackable ports were, but they are unreliable

and driver support is way too limited