Trying Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Trisquel and Linux Lite

alacran

I have been testing some Linux distributions as: Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Trisquel and Linux Lite. They can be run from an Iso on a partition on your HDD or from a USB stick, See my post here: http://reboot.pro/topic/20739-trying-ubuntu-xubuntu-trisquel-and-linux-lite/

After try all of them I found Linux Lite the one I like better, this OS is very compact and fast but has LibreOffice 5.0.1.2 and some other good applications preinstaled as Safety Copies and Lite Tricks, and some other you can download from it's own site and also from Ubutu too.  It's menu looks like a Windows start menu.

You can download PlayOnLinux (GUI front end for Wine) to let you install and run many programs and games that only run in Windows.

Just to let you know I didn't have a single problem with drivers in two machines used to test this OS's installed on logical partitions of HDD's:

MB Asus B75M-A, i3-3225 3.3 GHZ, 4 GB RAM DDR3 1333 MHZ &

MB Biostar G41D3C v7.0, Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.66 GHZ, 4GB RAM DD3 1333 MHZ

Actually both machines have Win 7 as main OS but I decided to give Linux OS's a new try, previous try was Mandrake Linux very long time ago, drivers problems was the cause of the failure then, obviously this PC's are not the same, but drivers is not a problem anymore.

For all of those like me that do not like Windows 10 privacy nightmare, it is time to start looking for alternatives just in case.

Best Regards

alacran

Edited by alacran

The only one I tried so far after a long time is Linux Mint 17.2 (Rafaela) Cinnamon Edition.

I found a few good things but too many bad. I've also written some sort of installation/setup log, but it definitely cannot be posted publicly.

It would be funny if it weren't sad: Linux is trying hard to emulate Windows (in aspect), while Windows has already become a Linux (in behavior). To me it looks like none of them is now a worthy choice and I really wish there would be a (more than) decent, viable alternative to them.

I'm still trying hard to find a Linux (or any other OS type, for that matter) that:

- has all the components I need built-in (I don't want to waste my bandwidth downloading gigabytes of an ISO only to find out I need an Internet connection to install each and every system/driver/application package/update)

- has full networking capabilities (that is, connect to a local network out-of-the-box, act as DHCP server, be able to serve Internet to the LAN <<share the GPRS modem locally>>, be able to quickly and easily share folders/drives with read-write permissions, see and be seen by any other OS types/versions - from Win95 to Win10 if I ever were to allow such thing on my network)

- never asks me for a password for anything once I'm logged in (it's aggravating to have thoughts and workflow disrupted by the thing popping the password box on everything!)

- has ability to install and tweak visual themes and appearance similarly to Win9x with Revolutions Pack (everybody seems to hate the Fuchsia color so I have to build my own theme from scratch or edit a similar one)

- has an optimal media player that actually inhibits the screensaver/monitor stand-by while playing a movie (Banshee can't), is able to load and display subtitles on the overlay surface when viewing wide movies on 4:3/5:4 monitors (VLC was never able to do that), has all the possible codecs built-in (not somewhere on a server) and actually closes when clicking the darn [x] in the corner

- has all the necessary system tweaks available through the GUI (how retarded is not to be able to change Workgroup name in the Network panel, for example!?)

- can install and/or run (live) on a 133MHz Pentium with 32MB RAM as well as on latest multicore dozens-of-gigabytes-of-RAM bla-bla machine

And there may be other things I need in an operating system that were left out in the list above but I have a feeling the above is already too much, especially the last two bits.

If anyone knows for sure of such operating system, please speak up.

In the mean time I'm downloading (through my 15kB/s connection) for future testing: Q4OS, blackPantherOS, ChaletOS, Simplicity, SparkyLinux, Lubuntu, Manjaro, antiX, alpine, wattOS, SalentOS, LinHES. They are all reviewed at DistroWatch.com.

Linux Lite requirements, downloaded Iso for 32 or 64 bits is 780 MB each one:

REQUIREMENTS MINIMUM RECOMMENDED SPECIFICATIONS:

CPU: 700MHz processor

RAM: 512mb ram

RESOLUTION: VGA screen 1024x768 resolution

MEDIA: DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image

PREFERRED SPECIFICATIONS:

CPU: 1.5GHz processor

RAM: 1024mb ram

RESOLUTION: VGA, DVI or HDMI screen 1366x768

MEDIA: DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image

alacran

Edited by alacran

There used to be a certain Ylmf OS chinese project which appears to have been deleted. I have a v3 and a v4 ISO images dated back in 2011 and 2012. Never tried them, probably wouldn't understand anything. Requirements as they appear on the saved HTML page:

系统需求

最小配置
300 MHz x86 处理器
128 MB 内存/不少于4 GB 硬盘空间
兼容 640x480 的显卡

推荐配置
700 MHz x86 处理器
兼容 1024x768 分辨率的显卡
512 MB 内存/8 GB 硬盘空间/声卡

The forum may still be alive but it rejects my connection. Homepage yields 404.

It's not hard to copy an icon set, a taskbar design and other visual gimmicks, but what matters is the actual underlying code. There are dozens, hundreds of different distros, but looking closely they all reveal having common grounds with the very few major distros and many of them share the same bugs and (lack of) features as well as repositories.

Best thing would be for everyone to start from scratch (there actually is the Linux From Scratch project) and add only what they want/need. Problem is, not all packages are compatible with the base codes and there may just not be a perfect match for one's needs. And unfortunately extremely few people can afford what it takes to tweak and build (compile) everything for their own perfect system.

And while we're here: does anyone know how to recover or change a forgotten password on a system that can still log on automatically? Yes, only a few hours ago I was complaining about Mint asking for the password for every nonsense and... I forgot it. Don't wanna give up all the tweaks and extra installed packages, especially with my crawling Internet connection, due to a reinstall. :(

P.S. Linux Lite wouldn't even fit my old Win98SE machine (667MHz CPU, 512MB PC133 RAM, AGP2x SOYO motherboard, GeForce4Ti4200 128MB video).

Edited by Drugwash

I've been using debian lately and love it!  It can be set-up as lean or as fat as you like.  Out of the box it does everything a daily workhorse should do.  It took me a little bit of time to learn a new OS, but changing from winxp to win7 also took a bit of time.  I've tested other distros too. The 'buntus were a bit bloated and the software seemed buggy.  Mint had a great feel to it and was very polished but the software repositories also seemed to have buggy software.  I have not found buggy software in the "stable" debian distro & repositories.  Overall debian isn't hard to use.  The wife uses debian like a champ and she is far from computer literate!!  One thing I've learned about installing debian - I've had better luck using the unofficial netinstall wtih the firmware drivers.  To each their own though. 

Good news: I remembered the Mint password, it's all fine now. :)

Also, while snooping around I found out that the former Ylmf OS project is now called StartOS. Development stalled sometime in 2013 but still there are two versions available: 5.1 advertised from the homepage and 6.0 beta which can be reached by slightly manipulating the download URL. ;)

The 6.0 beta appears to be x64-compatible (or only?) - it will take me two-three days to download one distro, and there's two available: GNOME-based and KDE-based. I'd like to hear from others in the mean time, if possible. My test machine is quite weak for nowadays' standards and VirtualBox 5.0.4 doesn't quite make it easy for me either: I've started installation of the 4.0 version four hours ago and it's merely at 42%. :(

Here's a review of the older 3.0 version at Dedoimedo: link

A few details on its history can be found at Wikipedia, but its links are outdated: link

More useful details on the included packages (in v3.0 only) are found at DistroWatch: link

Dunno why I locked on to this particular distro but after lame failures with Q4OS, blackPanther, Simplicity and the heavy ChaletOS I think I may just go asian, for a change.