Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

More interesting are the weekly figures, shown as a line graph (so you can see trends).

StatCounter-os-ww-weekly-201529-201547.p

The graph shows Win 10 usage rising steadily, just about linearly.  That there was a spurt right when it was released shows that it is not meeting expectations, but you can't deny that usage is rising.  I feel this is because Microsoft is being so aggressive in pushing it through Windows Update, and frankly most of the folks in the world aren't savvy enough to know how to stop Microsoft from doing it to them.  I even know someone quite technical who feels strongly that an "upgrade" is inevitable.

Windows XP, 7, and 8.0 usage numbers are dropping steadily, which is mildly interesting when you consider that there are some companies still rolling out 7.

One thing I find particularly poignant is that the usage of Win 8.1 has virtually leveled off over the past 6 weeks at about 13%.  8.1 is my own current choice.

Since most of the lines on the graph are now pretty straight, one could be forgiven for trying to predict...

• Win 10 usage will probably hit 12% around the start of 2016.
  • Win 10 usage may surpass Win 8.1 usage at about 13% by about February 2016.
  • Win 10 usage could catch up to Win 7 at around 35% by about mid 2017.

There will be some unexpected turns in the numbers, no doubt, for example when Microsoft starts making older systems work much worse, technically, via Windows Updates (you can do terrible things in the name of "security"), and also (in the other direction) when they report numbers that show how they're missing their marks and thus underperforming on Wall Street.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I will hang on to my W7/8 no updates as long as possible. I guess for me its good news that my systems are relatively static and don't change often.

I did that long ago, reinstalling Windows 7 without SP1 and no updates option. I've had no problems at all until today. Hope this will work as is for as long as possible.

Maybe Microsoft reconsiders his position and turns towards helping Windows 7 users instead of using their SP1 and its updates as a trick to forcing upgrades when they feel that many individual and corporate users turn towards free improved versions of Linux to avoid the danger of being slaves of Windows 10, also saving a lot of money.

Edited by cannie

I will hang on to my W7/8 no updates as long as possible. I guess for me its good news that my systems are relatively static and don't change often.

Likewise.  And for me my older systems are perfectly stable (note the uptimes).

My Win 8.1 system at the moment:

UptimeWin81_11-24-2015.png

My Win 7 system:

UptimeWin7_11-24-2015.png

-Noel

There will be some unexpected turns in the numbers, no doubt, for example when Microsoft starts making older systems work much worse, technically, via Windows Updates (you can do terrible things in the name of "security"), and also (in the other direction) when they report numbers that show how they're missing their marks and thus underperforming on Wall Street.

If you listen their reasons they are always "improving your security". Fear is used as an instrument to manage us.

I've never downloaded a single update since I went back to Windows 7 without SP1 and will never do it after my previous experiences. No problem at all: there are a lot of third party utilities to replace Internet Explorer and many other elements of the OS, including the security features.

In the good old times they worked for us users. But Microsoft now is no more the old Gates company, I'm afraid.

Hope they change their minds and offer us something really good instead of using updates to make older systems work worse to improve sales.

... Fear is used as an instrument to manage us ...

Nowadays "security" is like a Moloch on whose altar liberties must be sacrificed one after another.

... Hope they change their minds and offer us something really good instead of using updates to make older systems work worse to improve sales ...

We can always hope but being realistic come to this point the chance of that happening tends to zero. If Dante could test X, he'd tell us: "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here".

oblivion+tet2.jpg

All that there is left is enjoy Se7en while it lasts (watchfully protecting it from filicidal sabotage), then look elsewhere.

Hello, I've been reading this forum a lot very recently because I also feel that previous iterations of Microsoft Windows were better then what has been going on since Windows 10 was released. I've followed what others have done as I also run Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Core) and I have disabled Windows Update and only installed updates up to around July 2015 and updated my copy Office 2007, disabled some services, stopped task scheduler tasks getting information (telementary data).Though from all the reading of what all of you all said its starting to make me reconsider what I will run in the near future.

Edited by Bakuchris

One new thing that worries me is that Windows 7 may be made obsolete even before it officially reaches EOS. This is already happening with Vista -- I reported in the Deeper Impressions thread that one AV vendor is using the shift from SHA-1 to SHA-2 as a reason (excuse) not to support Vista in the newest version of their software... and this is a year-and-a-half before Vista reaches EOS in 2017. Moreover, they are ending support for current versions of the software and will stop sending out definitions files for them next spring.

This has become possible because, reportedly, Microsoft has no plans to issue updates to Vista that will enable it to accept certificates for the new SHA-2 standard. Who knows how many other software vendors will follow suit and leave Vista users stranded on old unsupported versions of software. So the question becomes: what other developments (if any) are there on the horizon, that would give Microsoft an opportunity to make Win7 obsolete well before its time? And what are the chances that they would in fact take advantage of such an opportunity to leave Win7 users in the lurch?

Windows 7 users could need to decide what to replace it with, years before they plan to.

--JorgeA

Nowadays we are in their hands: we old professionals have only used Windows since long ago and that's our world. But new generations mean new ways of thinking: nowadays they learn Linux instead as main OS at schools and mostly use Android cheaper mobiles as main tool all along the day. 

As a result, ie, all Windows forums today have far fewer visits than in the previous decade had.

I will continue using Microsoft products if they react in an intelligent and honest way to keep their current and not silly corporate and home customers. If not, IMHO It is only a matter of time before Asian hardware manufacturers begin to deploy new and cheaper computers for Android-based networks or any new enhanced Linux for corporate users, and this would mean "the final countdown" for Microsoft.

Another perspective:  In the past year, the only time the production system went down was when a storm came through and the power went out.  No UPS.  Granted this is my home system but it runs both Apple and Microsoft software.  Bought a maxed out iMac 4 years ago and the hardware is still beyond the PCs being sold today in stores.  I can choose to install updates or not.  OS X updates have been free with no time restraint.  The iMac and the iPhone play well together.  The Apple store is friendly.  Even with Steve gone, the company seems to be run well.

I have the feeling that Microsoft hired a lot of laid off Honeywell mainframe programmers.  Win 10 seems to be as unstable as some of the Honeywell mainframe OS deliveries.  As now, mainframe users found and stayed on a particular release and refused to update to the new crap.  History repeats itself.

Linux Mint and VirtualBox will continue to become more important as the Windows 10 experiment unfolds.  Second childhood is much more fun than first childhood.  Much better toys to put smiles on our faces.  Windows 10 continues to amaze.  As an old farmboy, I must be used to crap.  Just basic fertilizer.