[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

11 hours ago, Dave-H said:

No, nothing happens.

When I run ETDAniconf I do now have the "Corner Tap Zone" option again.
It shows tiny corner icons on the graphic which can be dragged to make them larger.
They still don't seem to do anything though.:)

Yep, what happens here if you run RegMon with Filter/Highlight:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPadDisplay;HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad;HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\

is that when you drag the corner icons the values are set to 0, whilst the .reg sets them to 0x30:

Values set by the .reg, read by Aniconf.exe:
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_Enable	SUCCESS	0x1
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TL_Func	SUCCESS	0xF
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TL_Path	SUCCESS	
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TL_Width	SUCCESS	0x30
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TL_Height	SUCCESS	0x30
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TR_Func	SUCCESS	0x11
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TR_Path	SUCCESS	
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TR_Width	SUCCESS	0x30
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TR_Height	SUCCESS	0x30
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BL_Func	SUCCESS	0x13
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BL_Path	SUCCESS	
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BL_Width	SUCCESS	0x30
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BL_Height	SUCCESS	0x30
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BR_Func	SUCCESS	0x10
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BR_Path	SUCCESS	
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BR_Width	SUCCESS	0x30
QueryValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BR_Height	SUCCESS	0x30

Disable from Aniconf.exe:
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_Enable	SUCCESS	0x0

Enable from Aniconf.exe:
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_Enable	SUCCESS	0x1

Dragging one of the corners to enlarge it:
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TL_Width	SUCCESS	0x0
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TL_Height	SUCCESS	0x0
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TR_Width	SUCCESS	0x0
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_TR_Height	SUCCESS	0x0
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BL_Width	SUCCESS	0x0
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BL_Height	SUCCESS	0x0
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BR_Width	SUCCESS	0x0
SetValue	HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Corner_Tap_BR_Height	SUCCESS	0x0

it may well be a quirk in my installation but - say - the Toshiba.exe sets their size correctly. (the actions to be perfomed are saved correctly both in Aniconf.exe and Toshiba.exe)

But, if you run the .reg they are set correctly, then it has to be seen if the feature applies to the specific smartpad model and/or to the specific driver.

There is also the possibility that the setting/feature is contrasting with some other one, and the othr one is prevailing :dubbio:

Maybe you need to set one finger Tap on or *whatever*.

If it doesn't work, it makes no sense to have it in the control panel, so you can edit  smartpadisplay.reg corresponding line:

"CornerTap_Display"=dword:00000000

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

ETDSimpluUI was crashing again when I tried to use the Two-finger Tapping option.
It came good again when the settings were reset, but importing your registry files seems to be causing this.
:dubbio:

18 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

ETDSimpluUI was crashing again when I tried to use the Two-finger Tapping option.
It came good again when the settings were reset, but importing your registry files seems to be causing this.

Sure, and the error is:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException

Found it :)

it is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Two_Finger

If it is set to 0 ETDSimpleUI crashes
If it is set to 1 ETDSimpleUI is fine AND drop down item is "Pop-up Menu"
If it is set to 2 ETDSimpleUI is fine AND drop down item is "Middle Button"

The funny (actually tragical) thing is that it if you run Aniconf.exe and set all to default, it sets the above key to 0.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

The funny (actually tragical) thing is that it if you run Aniconf.exe and set all to default, it sets the above key to 0.

About this and the TapZones reseting to 0 - try testing on a driver with minimal modifications (no removing unwanted stuff!).

You mean completely uninstall it and reinstall it again, just using 11.4.31.1 with your modified INF and the bare bones setup.ini?
That won't show the tap zones at all without some modification surely?

Well, you can enable the options after installing, right?

I just thought some setting/file that is required for the proper functioning was removed with all the modifications, and that's what causes these issues.

Or, you can just ignore this and continue whatever you two were doing :P

Ok the "defaults" (possibly not all over, but in spots) come from the HKLM "Smartpad" key.

So, change the:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\SmartPad

Tap_Two_Finger

Setting it to 1 (Pop-up Menu)

now, if you run Aniconf.exe or ETDmcpl.dll, and decide to set the defaults (for everything or just for the "Touch" panel) the corresponding key in HKCU will become 1 (instead of 0) and ETDsimpleUI-exe will not produce that error. 

jaclaz

22 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

About this and the TapZones reseting to 0 - try testing on a driver with minimal modifications (no removing unwanted stuff!).

21 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Well, you can enable the options after installing, right?

I just thought some setting/file that is required for the proper functioning was removed with all the modifications, and that's what causes these issues.

Or, you can just ignore this and continue whatever you two were doing :P

OK, I completely uninstalled everything again, and did a new install directly from the unmodified 11.4.14.1 driver, only substituting the modified INF file and the bare bones setup.ini.
Of course the modified INF intrinsically doesn't install items we found weren't needed, but reverting to the original INF the driver won't work at all of course.

That was fine, and I then merged in jaclaz's three registry files.
Running ETDAniConf.exe (from outside the Elantech folder) produced the "Corner Tap Zone" option as before.

This time the corners were a reasonable size to start with and didn't have to be dragged out (they appeared straight away as in the picture).

As you can see, the graphic does respond if I tap the corners of the touchpad, but still nothing happens, the options are not triggered. I know that "Start Menu" for instance, can work as it does work if it's set as a right click option say.

20200609_160337.thumb.jpg.c8e179ef9e434ed2f2ff80488afab735.jpg

:)

44 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Of course the modified INF intrinsically doesn't install items we found weren't needed, but reverting to the original INF the driver won't work at all of course.

So, you (both) did actually remove too much, lol.

Ok, a suggestion for the final package (if you ever reach that point :P) - provide one .inf with the minimum required modifications and another trimmed to your liking.

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

So, you (both) did actually remove too much, lol.

No, we did NOT remove "too much", what we are doing is to attempt "componentizing" the driver, the .inf and the settings tools.

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

Ok, a suggestion for the final package (if you ever reach that point :P) - provide one .inf with the minimum required modifications and another trimmed to your liking.

Good morning, Mr. de La Palice :). 

This is actually what we are working on lately, the original issue Dave-H had has been solved since a long time.

jaclaz

I suppose now would be a good time to review where we're heading with this now.
We now have a driver which works absolutely fine for all the basic touchpad functions, which is more than I ever dreamed we would have when we started out.
I fact if you remember I was all for giving up on this on several occasions, thank goodness I didn't!
I guess what we have to decide now is just how much of the driver's possible additional functionality we want to explore and try to implement.
The drivers for these touchpads have been so customised (I would say butchered around!) by the various computer manufacturers who have used them, that it's become as far as I can see almost impossible to tell what functions will work with what driver versions and hardware versions, and the plethora of different customised control panels is no help with this of course!
We don't know that functions like corner tapping will ever work with the driver we've got, the fact that it wasn't implemented by default in the 11.4.14.1 driver that we're using as our base would seem to imply to me that it never was intended to work in that driver, otherwise surely it would have been included?
That doesn't mean that it can't be got to work of course, and the same goes for things like the magnifier, but just how far should we go before declaring that enough is enough?

@Dave-H

Well, imagine that your parents gave you as a kid one of these:

https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Handyman/p/1.3773

BUT you were only allowed to use the toothpick, the tweezers and the corkscrew ...

What if I told you ...

... that different versions of Aniconf.exe show different possible settings?

jaclaz

Point taken as always, but how long do we keep on exploring every single possible driver function and see if it can be made to work in the driver we've got?
That could take months! :o
I still think in principle that only the functions included by default in driver version 11.4.14.1 should be guaranteed to work, as long as the hardware is capable, as we are using it with hardware it wasn't designed for of course. Others like the magnifier function (which actually does work as a standalone program, and it's very good) were not included in that driver, so maybe the control panel bundled with that driver doesn't support it, or surely as I said about the tap corners, it would have been included in the first place.
We've seen that on some control panels functions can be shown or hidden depending on registry settings, which is fascinating of course, but unless they work straight away, experimenting to see if they can be made to work either by more registry tweaks of file additions/substitutions, or both, could be a very lengthy process, and if there are a lot of them will take a very long time indeed, with no guarantee of success with any of them.
I know I'm sounding as if I've had enough of this and want to call it a day, but I do fear that we are getting near to the point of diminishing returns, if we aren't there already.

I almost don't dare to say this, but having had success beyond my wildest dreams with the touchpad driver, I'm itching a bit to have another go with the graphics driver!
Of course this will be a much bigger task, which seriously may be impossible, because as far as I know there were never any XP compatible drivers for that generation of graphics hardware, unlike the touchpad where there were plenty of XP Elan drivers in the past, and touchpad hardware almost certainly doesn't vary nearly as much as graphics hardware.

What do you think jaclaz?
Time now for another different challenge?