[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

Do you know Den, I had absolutely no idea that worked on Windows XP!
:D
I knew it worked on 8.1 and 10, but assumed it was something that only came in with later versions of Windows, and I'd never bothered to actually try it on XP.
Thank you so much, much easier than taking a photo!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

12 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Changing the UI_Theme from "5" to "0" results in the Elan-style icon, as expected, and double clicking on it runs ETDAniConf, which is what we want, no spoofing file names needed!
Everything still seems to work, so surely that is much better?
:dubbio:

Here are the two registry files, saved immediately after a clean install, with no changes made to anything.

HKCUElantechCleanInstall.reg 34.43 kB · 0 downloads

HKLMElantechCleanInstall.reg 51.42 kB · 0 downloads

Yep, this is the best till now, I thought that with UI_Theme=0 the ETDmcpl.dll was needed, i.e. it forcibly opened the Mouse Control Panel thingy without the added Tab (which is provided by ETDmcpl).

What happens with other values of UI_Theme?

In theory the "right" setting for ETDAniconf should be 1, but try ,ore values you can go surely up to 7 or 9.

And try some other values of CustomerDefinition, too.

There should (might) be a setting that instead of the dialog:
200,Property of Touch-Pad
201,My Favorites Setting

*somehow* opens the dialog (possibly via an "intermediate" one):

112,Remove Icon
113,Your touchpad has been enabled
114,Your touchpad has been disabled
115,Your touchpad has been disabled because the touchpad driver has detected that another pointing device has been plugged into your computer.$0A
116,Touchpad Driver Notification
117,Close
118,Version Information
119,Mouse Properties

and/or:

1010,Disable Tapping
1011,Enable Tapping
1012,Disable Slow Motion Pointer
1013,Enable Slow Motion Pointer
1020,Scrolling(&S)
1021,None(&N)

though maybe they depend on some other setting in either OtherSettings or UiFunctionOption :unsure:

I'll have a look at the last .reg files you posted :).

About this:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\OtherSetting\DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse worked fine as it should do if it was set to "1" in the registry.
I had to stop and start ETDCtrl.exe for the change to take effect.
Unfortunately, just changing it back to "0" and stopping and starting ETDCtrl.exe again didn't return things to normal, and left me with a dead touchpad, whether the mouse was connected or not.
It seems that you have to enable the touchpad by unplugging the USB mouse with it set to "1", and then set it back to "0".
Then stopping and starting ETDCtrl.exe returns things to normal with both touchpad and mouse working.

I don't know, but probably the idea is that the setting is either set to 0 and then both touchpad and mouse work or it is set to 1 and then when the USB mouse is inserted the toughpad is disabled (and when the mouse is removed it is automatically re-enabled again) and when changing the setting a reboot is needed, or - if you prefer - that setting can obly be changed when there is no USB mouse connected. :unsure:

Try seeing what happens to other keys/settings (with Regmon) when you change that value), what I expect is the following (my guess):
1) you change the 
HKCU\Software\Elantech\OtherSetting\DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse to 1
2) as soon as you insert the USB mouse that action makes the ETDCtrl.exe look at the above value and if it is set to 1 then it changes some other value, that has to be found, possibly:

;TP Enable/Disable Status
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",TPStatus_Mode,%REG_DWORD%,1
3) when you detach the mouse (and DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse is still set to 1) the above is reverted

but

4) if you change the DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse to 0 while the mouse is still connected, then detach the mouse, nothing "triggers" the ETDCtrl.exe to re-enable the Touchpad.

And then these keys:

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",ForceEnableStatusWhenResume,%REG_DWORD%,0            ; Force enable after resume
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",ForceEnableStatusWhenSuspend,%REG_DWORD%,0            ; Force enable when suspend
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",ForceEnableStatusWhenFUS,%REG_DWORD%,0                ; Force enable when FUS
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",ForceEnableStatusWhenLogOff,%REG_DWORD%,0            ; Force enable when logoff
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",ForceEnableStatusWhenShutdown,%REG_DWORD%,0            ; Force enable when shutdown
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",TemporaryEnableStatusAtLoginScreen,%REG_DWORD%,1        ; Temporary enable at login screen

may also come into play.

jaclaz

jaclaz

As expected the HKCU Smartpad key contains the SAME values as the HKLM one, though it misses a few that probably are "transplanted" to HKCU by the ETDCtrl,exe (or by some of the settings utilities) only when some option is activated.

In other words the 

Tap_One_Finger_Enable=dword:00000001

is in BOTH the Registry files.

Now, the test is if you delete that value in BOTH HKCU and HKLM, it shouldn't change anything and - no matter what you do with ETDAniconf.exe it will never be recreated, not in HKCU and certainly not in HKLM.

Still there should be a difference, in ETDAniconf.exe you can only manage the 

Tap_Enable=dword:00000001

value, and that disables *all* tapping (One/Two/Three Finger tapping) , whilst, at least in theory, flipping the Tap_One_Finger_Enable you should be able (but only if UI_Theme=5, which, as we have seen, will imply renaming the ETDAniconf.exe to Asus_UI.exe) to disable only one finger tapping but keep the Two and Three finger tapping possible.

It is not your case, since you want all tapping disabled, and thus you can do with *any* UI_Option that is not 5, but it may represent an option for another user.

jaclaz

I tried all the different settings for UI_Theme with the following results -

0 - Elan-style icon, double click launches ETDAniconf.exe, no Mouse Properties tab, icon identifies when hovered over as "Elan Pointing Device", right click options "My Favorites Setting", "Property of Touch-Pad" (launches Mouse properties).

1 - Elan-style icon, double click launches ETDAniconf.exe, no Mouse Properties tab, icon identifies when hovered over as "Elan Pointing Device", right click options "My Favorites Setting", "Property of Touch-Pad" (launches Mouse properties). All seems to be the same as setting "0".

2 - Elan-style icon, double click launches Mouse Properties. no Mouse Properties tab, icon identifies when hovered over as "Dell Touchpad", right click options "Touchpad properties" (launches ETDAniconf.exe), "About" (launches a driver information window) and "Remove Icon" (there seems to be no way of returning it!)
In fact it doesn't come back if you revert the UI_Theme setting either, the only way to return the icon is apparently to set HKCU\Software\Elantech\OtherSetting\IconType manually to "0", where it have ben set to "2", which is presumably the "no icon" setting.

3 - "Dual Mode" icon, double click pops up the options "Touchpad Settings" (containing "Enable Tapping" and "Enable Slow-Motion Pointer"), "Disable Touchpad", TrackPoint Settings", "Disable TrackPoint" (both irrelevant with this hardware), and "Advanced Settings" (which launches Mouse Properties). Right clicking gives "Remove UltraNav icon from the system tray". No Mouse Properties tab. Icon identifies when hovered over as "Touchpad = Pointer, TrackPoint = Pointer".

4 - Elan-style icon, double click launches Mouse Properties, no Mouse Properties tab, icon identifies when hovered over as "Samsung Pointing Device", right click option "Property of TouchPad", which launches Mouse Properties.

5 - Asus-style icon, double click launches Mouse Properties, no Mouse Properties tab, icon identifies when hovered over as "Asus Smart Gesture", no right click options.

6 - Elan-style icon, double click launches Mouse Properties, no Mouse Properties tab, icon identifies when hovered over as "Elan Pointing Device", right click options "My Favorites Setting", "Property of Touch-Pad" (launches Mouse properties).

So, unless we're going to re-introduce ETDMcpl.dll we need to use setting "0" or "1", as they are the only way of getting anything useful when double clicking the icon.
Reintroducing ETDMcpl.dll would presumably get the Mouse Properties tab back though, which will regain access to the function to disable the touchpad when a mouse is active, and to change the style of the icon or remove it, with a way to put it back again!

Yep, you can try that simply adding manually the ETDmcpl.dll to the \Programs\Elantech folder, in the latest .inf, whilst I removed the actual copy of the ETDmcpl.dll file, I left the related Registry settings, so it should work as soon as the file is found.

Try the above , then there should be a difference between UI_Theme 0 and 1.

This seems the most interesting:
3 - "Dual Mode" icon, double click pops up the options "Touchpad Settings" (containing "Enable Tapping" and "Enable Slow-Motion Pointer"), "Disable Touchpad", TrackPoint Settings", "Disable TrackPoint" (both irrelevant with this hardware), and "Advanced Settings" (which launches Mouse Properties). Right clicking gives "Remove UltraNav icon from the system tray". No Mouse Properties tab. Icon identifies when hovered over as "Touchpad = Pointer, TrackPoint = Pointer".

With that does the Enable Tapping (and hopefully the Disable Tapping) actually work?

Too bad that it is for a laptop that also has a trackpoint, if you add the ETDmcpl.dll with UI_Option=3 the Mouse added tab will have as well provisions for the non-existing trackpoint. :(

jaclaz

Yes, in mode 3 the option to enable and disable the touchpad from the icon did work.
That function is also in the extra Mouse Properties tab when present.
"Enable Slow-Motion Pointer" didn't seem to do anything though as far as I could see.

Re-introducing the ETDmcpl.dll file has re-enabled the extra tab, as expected.
This gives access to the USB mouse detection and icon choices again.

I still can't identify any obvious difference in behaviour between UI_Style=0 and UI_Style=1.

52 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, in mode 3 the option to enable and disable the touchpad from the icon did work.
That function is also in the extra Mouse Properties tab when present.
"Enable Slow-Motion Pointer" didn't seem to do anything though as far as I could see.

Re-introducing the ETDmcpl.dll file has re-enabled the extra tab, as expected.
This gives access to the USB mouse detection and icon choices again.

I still can't identify any obvious difference in behaviour between UI_Style=0 and UI_Style=1.

When the added Elan tab in the mouse is present (i.e. ETDmcpl.dll is present in \Programs\Elantech) , clicking on Options in the added tab:

if UI_theme is 1 it opens the ETDAniconf.exe settings (multi-tab, One Finger, Multifinger, Additional, if the smartpad_ShowItem0x1.reg and smartpaddisplay0x1.reg are imported, that means 8 items in One finger, 12 items in Multifinger,  9 items in Additional, total 29 ).

if UI_theme is 0 it opens the ETDmcpl.dll settings (a list of 14 settings (15 if you count "Copyright) in a single column on the left, )

The behaviour is sometimes "queer", cannot say exactly why, If you have ETDAniconf.exe and UI_theme=1 it opens ETDAniconf.exe but when you have already run it and change the UI_theme=0 sometimes the new setting isn't taken and it opens as well ETDAniconf.exe.

If you rename ETDAniconf.exe to (say) ETDAniconf.exe_no and try again, it opens the ETDmcpl.dll fine and then you can rename back the  ETDAniconf.exe and the option button will still bring up the ETDmcpl.dll.

And here comes the interesting part:

With UI_Theme=0 and Options in the added Elan tab brings up the ETDmcpl, with it open, if you try double clicking on the added Elan Touchpad item in Control Panel, nothing will happen (or the already opened ETDmcpl will get focus.

But if you first double click the Elan Touchpad Item in Control Panel (and thus open the ETDAniconf.exe) and then click on options in the added Elan tab, the ETDmcpl is opened, so you can have both side by side and compare options in the one and in the other.

Btw, if the ETDmcpl is open, even if you double click directly on the ETDAniconf.exe in \Programs\Elantech it won't run.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

10 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Maybe the Elan devs tried to prevent running multiple different config panels, because they conflict with each other?

Naah, they don't have real conflicts (between them).

Every config panel reads the current settings from HKCU and/or from HKLM only when they are started.

Then the behaviour changes, ETDAniconf.exe (and only it) changes (still in HKCU) only the setting that is changed, whilst all the other at each single change run a burst of all settings writing them all in HKCU.

If you prefer, if you open two of them and change a setting in one, the change is not reflected on the other one until it is restarted.

The conflict (if any) is probably with ETDCtrl.exe which is running (or in my half-@§§ed install only half running) in the background and periodically checks keys (in my case also changing some of them that it doesn't "like").

Actual config panels "conflicts" seem like being only "visual overlays", one I found is that:
\SmartPadDisplay\TwoFinger_Double_Tap_ShowItem

overrides

\SmartPadDisplay\Tap_Two_Finger_ShowItem

so that in ETDAniconf.exe, if the first is set to 1 it takes the place of the second in the "Touch" settings panel (but in ETDmcpl.dll the first is never shown).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Ok, these:
[ETD_UIFunctionOption.AddReg]
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",InVisible_DisableExternUSB,%REG_DWORD%,0< Makes in Elan Tab the Disable when USB mouse checkbox visible/invisible
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",InVisible_DeviceListStatus,%REG_DWORD%,0< Not found what it does
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",InVisible_DisableEnableButton,%REG_DWORD%,0<Makes in Elan Tab the Activate button greyed out
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",Visible_Animation,%REG_DWORD%,0< Makes with 0 in ETDAniconf.exe the avi to NOT show, with 1 they are visible 
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",DisableExclusive,%REG_DWORD%,0< Not found what it does
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",UI_Theme,%REG_DWORD%,5<UI mode, OK

jaclaz

As you probably gathered, I completely overlooked what happened with the Mouse Properties "Options" tab when UI_Theme was changed between "0" and "1"!
D'oh! :blushing:
As you say, with "0" it launches the control panel from ETDmcpl.dll, and with "1" it launches ETDAniconf.exe as double clicking the icon does.
The latter is presumably the better option then, as we surely don't want different control panels launching depending on where they're launched from!

So, summing it up the "best" settings are:

UI_Theme=1

both:
ETDAniconf.exe

ETDmcpl.dll

present in \Programs\Elantech\ folder.

So the ETDAniconf.exe remains the "only" settings tool available and accessible both from double clicking the tray icon and from the Options button in the added Elan Mouse tab.

At this point, possibly it makes little sense to have the added item in Control Panel "Elan Touchpad" that as is it is only a third way to call ETDAniconf.exe. :dubbio:

jaclaz

Yes, although I don't see any harm in keeping access to ETDAniconf.exe from the Windows Control Panel.
It's no trouble to do, and doesn't involve adding any extra files.
Personally when I install a driver for a something like a touchpad, the Windows Control Panel is the first place I look to find the settings options.
The latest versions of Asus Smart Gesture all add an icon in the Windows Control Panel as well as the settings being accessible my double clicking the tray icon.

I put the CustomerDefinition setting to "1" to match the "UI_Theme" setting.
It doesn't seems to have changed anything, but I guess it should be the same.

I wonder if it might be possible to suppress the "My Favorites Setting" option on the icon right click?
I've never been able to actually get it to do anything meaningful.
It seems to default to having notepad.exe listed, but pressing "modify" just brings up the Windows folder in Explorer.
I'm not sure quite what it's intended to do, although I'm guessing that you should be able to have different touchpad settings for different programs.
There were a lot of what I assume were preset settings for a lot of programs in the original INF file if you remember, which have now been removed.
Personally I think we can do without the whole option, I bet hardly anyone actually used it!

That should be an "Open" dialog initially pointed to the Windows folder.

If you select - say - Regedit.exe (still in the Windows folder) or navigate to another directory and select a .exe files it will be added to the list.

I believe that those are Favorites that you need to "activate" somewhere in the settings panel.

Check (or set) in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartpadDisplay

ThreeFingerPress_Display to 1

TabUI_1F_Display to 1

TabUI_MultiFinger_Display to 1

and in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad

You should have in Multifinger tab a "Press with three fingers" or something like that with the same settings.

Those come from (and are written to):
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\Favorite

It remains to be seen, if you enable that if anything actually happens when you press with three fingers.

jaclaz