[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Your install INF for ETDSimpleUI works fine.
The uninstall INF works fine apart from leaving the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266} key behind, which results in a dead blank icon in the Windows Control Panel.

I'm sure you're right about those four video files not being used by ETDSimpleUI, I seem to remember that I found that as well.

Unfortunately if you install the ETDSimpleUI, its settings are not used by the driver!
It's back to the same problem we had with the Asus UI and the Elan UI before, where the Asus UI actually changed the settings, but the Elan one didn't, although it appeared to.
Now the Elan UI changes the settings, and the ETDSimpleUI doesn't, although it appears to.
I guess they're changing different things in the registry again!
:dubbio:

Maybe there needs to be "more" keys in HKCU :unsure:, anyway I think that a possible way out at this point will be to make two different "monolithic" ETD.inf's, both to be installed (the one or the other) via Setup.exe.

The first, the current one, without the ETDSimpleUI nor any .avi files. [1]
The second including the ETDSimpleUI and the .avi files. [2]

It is possible that the "key" is again in the two Registry settings:

CustomerDefinition=4
UI_ThemeOption=4

(those that are in the Samsung driver, from which the ETDSimpleUI comes from).

Try changing those two keys and try again (probably you will need a reboot).

If this works, these can be added to the ETDSimpleUI.inf and keep it "self-standing".

Change in the ETDsimpleUI_remove.inf this line:

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},,0x00000000,"Elan Control panel"

to:

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}

(my bad).

Do also this test:
copy manually the ETDsimpleUI_remove.inf to the \Program Files\Elantech\ folder
uninstall the driver via the ETD_uninst.exe

Is the \Program Files\Elantech\ folder deleted anyway AND is the Control Panel icon/etc. also removed?

jaclaz

[1] and with the two keys set to 0
[2] and with the two keys set to 4

Edited by jaclaz

Changing the keys to

CustomerDefinition=4
UI_ThemeOption=4

Has changed the tab in the Mouse Properties to "Touchpad" instead of "Elan", and it's now Samsung branded.
The Options button now brings up ETDSimpleUI.

Also the icon in the Windows control panel is now labelled "Touchpad" instead of "Elan Touchpad".

ETDSimpleUI still isn't changing the settings though, even after a reboot.

I've made the correction to the uninstallation INF.

:)

So, the only way out - maybe - is to make the two alternative ETD.inf's, it might mean that for *some* reasons the ETDUIsimple.exe needs to be installed by the Setup.exe, but this makes NOT any sense :(, as earlier in tests you had not any ETDUIsimple.exe in the ETD.inf and you plainly copied it manually to the \Program Files\Elantech\ folder, there must have been something that you did that made it work. :dubbio:

Or maybe the two Registry settings:
CustomerDefinition=4
UI_ThemeOption=4

need to be set at 5 at install time and can only be changed later.

Another possibility is that for *some* reason the ETDSimpleUI.exe needs a number of keys pre-made and these keys are actually created NOT by the ETD.inf, but rather by the Asus_UI.exe. :unsure:

I think the only way to understand that you need to trace the ETDSimpleUI.exe as it is now (not saving settings) and then uninstall everything, re-install with the "original" method (first install the 11.5.20.3 and then replace manually files) and see (if now the ETDSimpleUI.exe works, saving settings).

jaclaz

Well the secret seems to be to change the registry values to "5" as they were for the AsusUI.
If you do that and reboot, you lose the extra tab on the Mouse Properties, but the ETDSimpleUI then does correctly change the settings!
The disadvantage is that double clicking the taskbar icon (which is now the Asus version) then still runs the Mouse Properties, but there's no access through that now to the control panel, you can only access it through your Windows Control Panel icon.

What was happening before was that the Elan control panel was changing (say) "HKLM\Software\Elantech\Smartpad\Tap_Enable" and the ETDSimpleUI was changing "HKLM\Software\Elantech\Smartpad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable". The former was changing the actual behaviour, the latter wasn't, which is the other way around to the way it was when we were using AsusUI (and ETDSimpleUI also worked).
Changing the registry values to "5" seems to have restored that behaviour again, so  "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" is now the "live" setting again, but this is at the expense of completely losing access to the Elan control panel.

Good, ;)

Now try the other two possibilities.

I.e.:
CustomerDefinition=0
UI_ThemeOption=5

or:

CustomerDefinition=5
Ui_ThemeOption=0

That "switch" between "HKLM\Software\Elantech\Smartpad\Tap_Enable" and "HKLM\Software\Elantech\Smartpad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable" is likely due to only one of the two setttings set to 5.

Hopefully one setting affects the key used, and the other the behaviour of the doubleclicking on the tray icon, and - if this is the case, then there are also to try:
CustomerDefinition=4
UI_ThemeOption=5

CustomerDefinition=5
UI_ThemeOption=4

Anyway, this confirms (and at the end of the day it is also the simpler approach :yes:) that the "final" version is better made out of two alternative, monolithic ETD.inf's, one for the "plain" 11.4.14.1 "Lenovo only" driver with ETDmcpl.dll as setting panel and one for the same but running the added ETDSimpleUI from "Samsung".

@RainyShadow

Please do check the actual source of that stuff, before suggesting its use, though there can be exceptions, I tend to reject hearsay :whistle:.

ZaPbuzz is talking about a (btw enterprise/top of the range)  proprietary, commercial program not available since several years (and BTW largely obsolete):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wise_Solutions

as at a certain point it was acquired (and duly killed) by Symantec, and - if I recall correctly - had a list price of several hundreds US$, something like 700-800.

jaclaz

@jaclaz

Sorry. Previously i thought this thing needs manual scripting, but judging by what ZaPbuzz describes it could be used for installer monitoring as well. I never used it before.

Add the fact, that first google result for "wise installmaster" leads to

Wise InstallMaster 9.x

Wise InstallMaster is a tool for creating Windows setup programs.

This is the last release of Wise Installation System based on the traditional Wise Script technologies. Also it's still capable of making Win16 installer package. Later releases are only capable of making Windows Installer installation packages, and only included the WiseScript editor which is stripped down from this version.

Installation instructions

Runs on Win9x and NT

So, can this be considered abandonware, what do you think?

[EDIT]

Also, can [redacted] be linked to freely on msfn, or it falls under "warez sites"?

11 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

So, can this be considered abandonware, what do you think?

Let's say that IF abandonware existed, that site would be the central repository for it.

I understand how you are trying to help :) (and you actually did help more than once on this thread :yes:), but, as said, hearsay is normally not admissible:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearsay

and even when it supposedly provides an operative fact:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operative_fact

the fact itself needs to be checked/verified.

Let's say, that - since I don't trust my Opel Vectra to start tomorrow morning:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1181878

I procured myself an Aston Martin DB5 (possibly with licence plate BMT-216A ;))

jaclaz

17 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Let's say, that - since I don't trust my Opel Vectra to start tomorrow morning:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1181878

I procured myself an Aston Martin DB5 (possibly with licence plate BMT-216A ;))

This doesn't mean much to me.

I can't tell Opel and Aston apart. My brother drives an Opel - sometimes when i forget, i confuse it for a WV. I drive a 40y.o. VAZ and a 30y.o. Audi.

On the streets i can't tell the brand of most cars until i see the logo, LOL...

Aston Martin was the "Bond  car", right?

OK, point taken. No linking to that site ;)

39 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Aston Martin was the "Bond  car", right?

Yep :), the Aston Martin DB5 actually was "The" Bond car ;):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_DB5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_DB5#James_Bond's_DB5

Later models had not the same iconic relevance, in later movies Bond drove *anything* including BMW's and Land Rovers, besides new models of Aston Martin. but none remained "memorable".

jaclaz

Sorry, I was away from home for a lot of yesterday!
Here's the results with the other suggested registry setting combinations, all after a reboot.

CustomerDefinition=0
UI_ThemeOption=5

Taskbar icon style - Asus
Double clicking taskbar icon - Mouse Properties
Mouse Properties tab - not present
Options Button on tab - N/A
ETDSimpleUI run from Windows Control Panel - saving its settings but not changing touchpad behaviour

CustomerDefinition=5
Ui_ThemeOption=0

Taskbar icon style - Elan
Mouse Properties tab - "Elan"
Options Button on tab - Elan control panel, saving settings and changing touchpad behaviour
ETDSimpleUI run from Windows Control Panel - saving settings but not changing touchpad behaviour

CustomerDefinition=4
UI_ThemeOption=5

Taskbar icon style - Asus
Mouse Properties tab - not present
Options Button on tab - N/A
ETDSimpleUI run from Windows Control Panel - saving settings but not changing touchpad behaviour

CustomerDefinition=5
UI_ThemeOption=4

Taskbar icon style - Elan
Double clicking taskbar icon - ETDSimpleUI
Mouse Properties tab - "Touchpad"
Options Button on tab - ETDSimpleUI

This behaviour is the same regardless of how the ETDSimpleUI is invoked.

Anyway, this confirms (and at the end of the day it is also the simpler approach ) that the "final" version is better made out of two alternative, monolithic ETD.inf's, one for the "plain" 11.4.14.1 "Lenovo only" driver with ETDmcpl.dll as setting panel and one for the same but running the added ETDSimpleUI from "Samsung".

Yes, I think you're right!
I'm finding it hard to see what changing the "CustomerDefinition" setting actually does.
One thing that seems certain is that it's not going to be possible to have both the normal Elan control panel and ETDSimpleUI working at the same time.
How strange to have two different settings in the registry to active or deactivate exactly the same touchpad function though, depending on which control panel is in use.
Talk about making things unnecessarily complicated!

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

At the end of the day, so:

1) ETD.inf using ETDmcpl.dll:

CustomerDefinition=0
UI_ThemeOption=0

NO additional Control Panel Item <- that is unless we find a way to run the ETDmcpl.dll :dubbio:

2) ETD.inf using ETDSimpleUI.exe:

CustomerDefinition=5
UI_ThemeOption=5

additional Control Panel Item calling ETDSimpleUI.exe

(in this - in order to avoid the double clicking on the tray icon to open the mouse control panel without any "Elan" or "Touchpad" tab) it would maybe possible to disable the tray Icon, you will have to try if this works (it is in the Samsung driver .inf):
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",IconType,%REG_DWORD%,2 ; 0 = Dynamic Trayicon, 1 = Static Trayicon, 2 = Do Not Display Trayicon

OR:

3) (the workaround you used earlier, to be confirmed if it is still working):

CustomerDefinition=5
UI_ThemeOption=5

ETDSimpleUI.exe renamed to Asus_UI.exe <- not correct, but in love, war and stupid Elan drivers .... ;)

optionally additional Control Panel Item calling ETDSimpleUI.exe Asus_UI.exe :unsure:

As a side note, I have made in the meantime a comparison between the various "OtherSetting" and "SmartPad" registry settings in the two "reference" .inf's, the Samsung one against the one we are using (derived from 11.5.20.3) and whilst I could find nothing that can apparently change the behaviour you just documented, there are a couple that seem like worth an experiment (only to see if changing them changes anything in the behaviour of the trackpad):
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",EnableASUSNotifyFunction,%REG_DWORD%,1 <- this is 0 on the Samsung

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\DriverOption",DualModePSTModuleType,%REG_DWORD%,3 <- this is 1 on the Samsung, description is ; 1 = NXP, 2 = STek, 3 = ELAN3003

All the rest look like (minor) tweaks to the functions and responsiveness of the Touchpad, these are however interesting:

Samsung:

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",DisableWhenType_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",DisableWhenType_DelayTime_Tap,%REG_DWORD%,300

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",DisableWhenType_DelayTime_Move,%REG_DWORD%,300

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",DisableWhenType_DelayTime_Gesture,%REG_DWORD%,300

Asus:

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",DisableWhenType_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,0

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",DisableWhenType_DelayTime_Tap,%REG_DWORD%,750

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",DisableWhenType_DelayTime_Move,%REG_DWORD%,750

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",DisableWhenType_DelayTime_Gesture,%REG_DWORD%,750

At face value the first seems to disable the touchpad when typing and doing so much faster (maybe it is also a setting in one of the control panels, but I thought it worth to mention)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

1) ETD.inf using ETDmcpl.dll:

CustomerDefinition=0
UI_ThemeOption=0

NO additional Control Panel Item <- that is unless we find a way to run the ETDmcpl.dll

What do you think of the workaround I found earlier, of using ETDUI.cpl?
That certainly enables the launching of an Elan control panel from a Windows Control Panel icon.
It's probably not the same Elan control panel that is launched from the Mouse Properties tab "Options" button, but does that matter if both versions work?

5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

What do you think of the workaround I found earlier, of using ETDUI.cpl?
That certainly enables the launching of an Elan control panel from a Windows Control Panel icon.
It's probably not the same Elan control panel that is launched from the Mouse Properties tab "Options" button, but does that matter if both versions work?

The problem with that is that the "poor" user will need to get also the Z11542 (in addition to the "Lenovo" tp118w7) only to run (maybe) the same settings panel that he/she can already access via double click on tray -> Mouse Control Panel -> Elan tab -> Options ->Settings panel. 

OR:
Control Panel -> Mouse Control Panel -> Elan tab -> Options ->Settings panel

VS.

Control Panel -> Added Elan Touchpad item -> Settings panel

(one click saved in the latter)

The idea (mine at least) was that "simple" people will need to download only the tp118w7 in order to have a working driver and settings panel.

Those looking for more "bells and whistles" can download the Samsung driver (in all its bloat) but at least will be rewarded by the "nicer" ETDSimpleUI and its .avi files.

jaclaz