[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

That's much better!
:thumbup
In fact it seems as if your reg files are not needed, as I can switch the tap to click function off and on with the control panel just fine.
Is that unexpected?
The only section still not functional is the "Button" section, but as I said a while ago, that could be because it will only work with a touchpad which has two physical buttons, which mine apparently does not have.
:dubbio:

12 hours ago, Dave-H said:

That's much better!
:thumbup
In fact it seems as if your reg files are not needed, as I can switch the tap to click function off and on with the control panel just fine.
Is that unexpected?
The only section still not functional is the "Button" section, but as I said a while ago, that could be because it will only work with a touchpad which has two physical buttons, which mine apparently does not have.

Well, it is largely unexpected, as previously the setting that is flipped, "Tap_Enable" was not "taken" by the driver when "UI_theme=5" (ASUS) that used the "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" instead, but it is entirely possible that *somehow* the driver, if it finds not the latter, uses the first.

Maybe previously, when the Asus control panel was used, it created the "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" key that somehow was "overriding" the "Tap_Enable" :unsure:

If you start from a "clean" install, you have only a very limited numbe of choices in the Touchpad control panel.

Then you import the two .reg files smartpaddisplay0x1.reg and  smartpad_ShowItem0x1.reg and the control panel is populated by *all* possible settings.

But if you check the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad and keep a Regmon session open on it, you will see how the list of values is initially small and it is increased by the settings you select, i.e. the control panel creates, when an option is "flipped" or "selected" the corresponding value, it is very probable that the ASUS_UI.exe behaves the same, so our previous results with "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" were "distorted" by having used the Asus_UI.exe.

So, in theory, now if you run Asus_UI.exe, flip on and off the touch/tab, the tap function of ETDAniconf.exe should not be taken anymore until you manually delete the 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable

value. :dubbio:

Now the only thing that remains to be checked is the values to be set as "base" in the .inf for the \SmartPad\*_ShowItem values and for the \SmartPadDisplay\ values.

I.e. if the "Button" panel (example) does not work, it makes sense to put it not in the .inf, whilst (say) the Slow Motion works, it makes sense to add it to the .inf, so that it is available after install, getting rid of the smartpaddisplay0x1.reg and  smartpad_ShowItem0x1.reg.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Interesting. The "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" entry is certainly there, and it's set to "1", but "Tap_Enable" is set to "0" and that seems to be the "live" parameter.
This is all looking very promising, but there are a couple of things perhaps worth mentioning.
Firstly double clicking the system tray icon still launches the Mouse Properties, which is now pointless as there is no access to the settings through it.
Also, we seem to have lost the setting to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged it.
That is there in some of the control panels, but not the one we're using at the moment.
It was also available on the Mouse Properties tab, along with the icon style selection, which we've now lost.
It's not something that I would ever enable, but it would be nice to have it back if it's possible.
:)

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Interesting. The "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" entry is certainly there, and it's set to "1", but "Tap_Enable" is set to "0" and that seems to be the "live" parameter.

Well, this is the complete opposite of what you reported earlier. so what was till now "unexpected" has become "impossible".

I think :unsure: you may be mixing together the keys in HKLM and those in HKCU.

The ones that the various control panels access and change are in HKCU.

The ones in HKLM are copied to HKCU (but I believe which keys depend on the control panel used) only when you choose in the control panel to "set default" (either all settings or per tab settings).

Check if the key 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable

exists immediately after the driver is fresh installed

Then, open the ETDAniconf.exe and set all the default, then check again if the key exists in HKCU.

Until you run Asus_UI.exe that value should not exist in HKCU.

(though it exists, thanks to the current .inf, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\SmartPad )

We can later amend the .inf.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Firstly double clicking the system tray icon still launches the Mouse Properties, which is now pointless as there is no access to the settings through it.

If I remember correctly the behaviour with UI_Theme=5 was to launch from the tray icon directly Asus_UI.exe.

Try making a copy of ETDAniconf.exe in \programs\Elantech folder and rename it to Asus_UI.exe. :dubbio:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Also, we seem to have lost the setting to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged it.
That is there in some of the control panels, but not the one we're using at the moment.
It was also available on the Mouse Properties tab, along with the icon style selection, which we've now lost.
It's not something that I would ever enable, but it would be nice to have it back if it's possible.

Yep, that should be :unsure:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\OtherSetting\DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse

try flipping it manually, if it works we can later make a .reg, .inf or batch to flip it.

Otherwise you need to manually add to \Programs\Elantech folder the ETDmcpl.dll and set UI_Theme=1

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Yes sorry, I was only looking in HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad, in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\SmartPad "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" is not present, only "Tap_Enable".
This is set to "1", even though the function is not actually enabled at the moment.
HKCU\Software\Elantech\OtherSetting\DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse worked fine as it should do if it was set to "1" in the registry.
I had to stop and start ETDCtrl.exe for the change to take effect.
Unfortunately, just changing it back to "0" and stopping and starting ETDCtrl.exe again didn't return things to normal, and left me with a dead touchpad, whether the mouse was connected or not.
It seems that you have to enable the touchpad by unplugging the USB mouse with it set to "1", and then set it back to "0".
Then stopping and starting ETDCtrl.exe returns things to normal with both touchpad and mouse working.

The file re-naming trick works, as it did before, and double clicking the system tray icon now runs ETDAniconf.
:yes:
Whether that's a good answer I don't know!

I will try a complete uninstall again, making sure that all files and registry entries are completely removed, and then reinstall the driver, and without changing any settings, I will export the two main HKLM and HKCU registry keys for you to have a look at, so you can check that their starting points are as you expect them to be.

33 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes sorry, I was only looking in HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad, in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\SmartPad "Tap_One_Finger_Enable" is not present, only "Tap_Enable".
This is set to "1", even though the function is not actually enabled at the moment.

No, it should be the exact opposite of that,

The Tap_One_Finger_Enable exists in HKLM (because the .inf writes that at install):

; Tap
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_T1_Time,%REG_DWORD%,200
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Activate_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_One_Finger_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Two_Finger_ShowItem,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Two_Finger_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Two_Finger,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Two_Finger_Ex,%REG_SZ%,
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Two_Finger_Path,%REG_SZ%,
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Three_Finger_ShowItem,%REG_DWORD%,0
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Three_Finger_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Three_Finger,%REG_DWORD%,%NONE%
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Three_Finger_Ex,%REG_SZ%,
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Three_Finger_Path,%REG_SZ%,
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Four_Finger_ShowItem,%REG_DWORD%,0
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Four_Finger_Enable,%REG_DWORD%,0
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Four_Finger,%REG_DWORD%,%NONE%
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Four_Finger_Ex,%REG_SZ%,
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap_Four_Finger_Path,%REG_SZ%,
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\SmartPad",Tap2FunStaticText,%REG_DWORD%,

and does NOT exist in HKCU until *something* writes it there.

jaclaz

Also, the *whatever* that runs the tray Icon should be ETDCtrl.exe.

Having a look at the .exe it looks likes it has some options available by right-clicking on it.

What happens when you right click on the tray icon?

Try with different settings of UI_Theme in Registry, I see strings *like*:

112,Remove Icon
113,Your touchpad has been enabled
114,Your touchpad has been disabled
115,Your touchpad has been disabled because the touchpad driver has detected that another pointing device has been plugged into your computer.$0A
116,Touchpad Driver Notification
117,Close
118,Version Information
119,Mouse Properties

1000,TouchPad Settings
1001,Disable TouchPad
1002,Enable TouchPad
1003,TrackPoint Settings
1004,Disable TrackPoint
1005,Enable TrackPoint
1006,Advanced Settings...

1010,Disable Tapping
1011,Enable Tapping
1012,Disable Slow Motion Pointer
1013,Enable Slow Motion Pointer
1020,Scrolling(&S)
1021,None(&N)

1060,TrackPoint = Disable
1061,TrackPoint = Pointer
1062,Property of ASUS Touch-Pad
1063,ASUS Smart Detector

It is possible that some other values in UIFunctionOption affect this behaviour.

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; UI Function Option Section
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ETD_UIFunctionOption.AddReg]
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",InVisible_DisableExternUSB,%REG_DWORD%,0        ; Activate DisableWhenUSBPlugIn function
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",InVisible_DeviceListStatus,%REG_DWORD%,0
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",InVisible_DisableEnableButton,%REG_DWORD%,0
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",Visible_Animation,%REG_DWORD%,0
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",DisableExclusive,%REG_DWORD%,0
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",UI_Theme,%REG_DWORD%,5                ; 0 = Mcpl UI, 1 = Animation UI, 2 = Dell UI, 3 = Dual Mode, 4 = Simple UI, 5 = ASUS UI

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

No, it should be the exact opposite of that,

Well, all I can say is that's what it is!

I will do a clean install and let you have the reg files so you can see what it is before any settings are changed.

Right clicking on the system tray icon does nothing, and never has with the Asus-style ones, only the Elan-style ones do anything when right clicked, and it's a "favourites" function IIRC.

16 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Right clicking on the system tray icon does nothing, and never has with the Asus-style ones, only the Elan-style ones do anything when right clicked, and it's a "favourites" function IIRC.

There is no such thing as Asus Style, the thingy is always the same (should be ETDCtrl.exe) and changes behaviour when the UI Option keys are changed. at least the UI_theme does that, those strings I found may well be remnants of functionalities that are long gone before the current version of ETDCtrl.exe, of course.

There is also a "Favorite" set of strings:

200,Property of Touch-Pad
201,My Favorites Setting

is that what you see with other values of UI_theme (but 5)?

It is also well possible that the behaviour is changed by other values in OtherSetting.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

This is what I call the Asus-style icon.

AsusIcon.thumb.jpg.168206a431778249203cf3412b45f9ab.jpg

And this is what I call the Elan-style icon.

ElanIcon.thumb.jpg.75f7f21d77c0ec05279c4fcbe3b4ca9f.jpg

As you can see, they look quite different.

Changing the UI_Theme from "5" to "0" results in the Elan-style icon, as expected, and double clicking on it runs ETDAniConf, which is what we want, no spoofing file names needed!
Everything still seems to work, so surely that is much better?

Here are the two registry files, saved immediately after a clean install, with no changes made to anything.

HKCUElantechCleanInstall.reg

HKLMElantechCleanInstall.reg

With the Elan-style icon, right clicking gives the option of this (sorry about the reflection of the light!)

Favourites.thumb.jpg.43c1ea8cc869a415fe5b5e8eb5c0f74f.jpg

Clicking "Property of Touch-Pad" brings up the Mouse Properties (which still has no extra tab incidentally).

This actually all looks rather good to me!
:yes:

If that's for a screen grab then no, I haven't got anything installed on the XP side of the netbook capable of doing that.
A photo is quite good enough for this purpose though!