[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

Open the registry to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartpadDisplay

set all values to 0x1

Run ETDmcpl.dll and Aniconf.exe.

Both will have several added settings (but not entirely the same ones).

Run ETDSimpleUI.

You should have an added Four Fingers settings. (the ETDsimpleUI also accesses Click2F_Display, but it doesn't seem like an added item is shown anywhere)

The three tools access different set of keys in SmartPadDisplay.

jaclaz

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Ok, a fun experiment, i doubt it can work, but you never know.

Try setting manually the:

Tap_Three_Finger_ShowItem to 1

So that you have in ETDmcpl.dll under touch:

Active

one finger Click/Select

two finger Nothing (or No action)

three finger Nothing (or No action)

(as you might understand, I am seeing the text in Italian and I am translating it back to English, so it might be different)

Now, set:

Active Checked

One finger (is fixed to) Click/Select
Two Finger (set it to the second item, Menu or Context Menu)
Three Finger (set it to the 15th item, Start Menu)

Verify that the smartpad does those actions with one/two/three fingers taps.

Now manually edit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Enable

set it to 0x7

Now maybe-just-maybe, the two and three figer taps still work but the one finger tap does nothing. :dubbio:

jaclaz

The second item on two finger tapping on ETDmcpl.dll is "Middle Button", not Context Menu. "Pop-up Menu" is the first item.
One finger and three finger taps work as intended, but two finger tapping doesn't seem to do anything, regardless of what it's set to.
Strange, because I thought two finger tapping was working from ETDmcpl.dll yesterday!
Now, it works only if enabled in ETDSimpleUI, which is very odd.
That UI only gives the option of "Pop-up Menu" or "Middle Button", but once it's enabled there, the other options in ETDmcpl.dll then work!

Setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_Enable to "7" doesn't seem to change the behaviour at all, single tap is still active, even after a reboot, in fact after a reboot the setting has reverted back to "1" again.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Open the registry to:

set all values to 0x1

Run ETDmcpl.dll and Aniconf.exe.

Both will have several added settings (but not entirely the same ones).

Run ETDSimpleUI.

You should have an added Four Fingers settings. (the ETDsimpleUI also accesses Click2F_Display, but it doesn't seem like an added item is shown anywhere)

The three tools access different set of keys in SmartPadDisplay.

jaclaz

Yes, there are certainly additional setting in ETDmcpl.dll.
I tried one of them, the magnifier, but it didn't seem to work.
There are no additional settings in ETDSimpleUI as far as I can see, certainly no four finger options.
Again after a reboot all the settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartpadDisplay have reverted to what they were before.
:dubbio:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I tried one of them, the magnifier, but it didn't seem to work.

Very likely you need the ETDMag.exe (from -say - Z11521) in the Programs\Elantech folder. :unsure:

In Aniconf.exe setting it makes  HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_Enable     0x1    

And there are other keys involved:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_Enable    0x1    
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_Kind 0x2 <- this is misterious   

In ETDmcpl.dll:
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_P 0x0=2x 0x1=3x 0x2=6x   0x3=7x 0x4=9x

But in Aniconf.exe:
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_P 0x0=2x 0x1=3x 0x2=4x   0x3=5x 0x4=6x 0x5=7x 0x6=8x 0x7=9x 0x8=10x 0x9=12x 0xA=14X 0xB=16x

And in Aniconf.exe BUT NOT in ETDmcpl.cpl:

HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_X 0x1=96 0x2=128  0x3=256 etc.  
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_Y as above

The ETDmag.exe does access keys:
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_X   
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_Y    
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Mag_P   

and through them you can set magnification level and size of the magnifier window. (actually if you set it very thin and very wide, it may even be useful at 2x or 3x )

Still it is well possible that making it visible in SmartPadDisplay is only part of the story and another key *somewhere* is needed.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

There are no additional settings in ETDSimpleUI as far as I can see, certainly no four finger options.

Try changing to 0x1 only 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartpadDisplay\FourFinger_Display

ETDSimpleUI.exe shows an additional "Four-Finger" Swipe option.

Checking the checkbnox keys:
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\FourFingerMoveUp_Enable
HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\FourFingerMoveDown_Enable

are set to 0x1

setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartpadDisplay\FourFinger_Display back to 0x0 the option disappears.

jaclaz

P.S.: unless I am mistaken the ETDAniconf.exe that works here (it is the version 10.0.0.20 from Z10590) seems to me like being far better in capabilities than the ETDmcpl.dll and than the ETDSimpleUI.exe, and even if it actually tries to access the .avi files, it works just fine without them.

Edited by jaclaz

I suspect that the reason that the extra settings now revealed in ETDmcpl.dll, like the magnifier, were hidden originally was by design as the necessary files, like ETDMag.exe, were not included in the version of the driver that we're basing our custom driver on.

Those keys do indeed do what you say with ETDSimpleUI, but I can't see what the "four finger swipe" actually does!
More worrying is that I'm starting to get .NET error messages when I run ETDSimpleUI now.

20200604_161829.thumb.jpg.53d9b1f8db69fdaf1a8a20177613d48d.jpg

Some news.

I finally understood why I had issues with both ETDmcpl and ETDAniconf, for *some reasons* the ETDCtrl.exe (on my half-@§§ed "fake" install) periodically accesses the:

and sets each and every value in it to 0x0.

The net effect is that with those values set to 0 both the ETDmcpl and the ETDAniconf panes become completely blank.

So, re-importing in the Registry the whole set of values (set to 0x1) makes not only both settings panel functional, but makes visible a number of options never seen before.

Moreover, as expected, there are differences in Aniconf.exe, the version that I tested till now (10.0.0.20) that I had tested till now, for *some reasons* when using the "set as default button" wrote "absurd" values in the Registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\Smartpad

values and this is at least part of the reason why the two based on (stupid) .Net tools Asus_UI.exe and ETDSimpleUI.exe throw errors.

Some errors in ETDSimpleUI may remain, just set the defailts from it (and then change back to your settings and they shoudl disappear. 

I can now run the most recent ETDAniconf.exe (version 11.59.0.0) coming from the 11.5.20.3 driver) and not only it has more sane "default" values, it has also a number of added settings/features, again here for *some reasons* periodically Aniconf.exe itself disables some settings making them invisible, possibly they are someting that is/was experimental.

Also the ETDmcpl.dll from the "Medion" driver (11.5.2.1) which is version 11.20.0.0 is probably "better".

It is very possible that some functions are mutually exclusive (or not suitable for the specific SmartPad at hand) but surely there are quite a few very interesting possibilities (if they work on your smartpad).

To see them:
1) get the Aniconf.exe 11.59.0.0 from 11.5.20.3 or (IMHO better) the 11.20.0.0 from the "Medion" driver
2) import the two attached .reg files
3) Set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\UIFunctionOption
UI_Theme=1
Visible_Animaton=1 <- the effect of this one is not clear, but it is the default driver setting in the "Medion" driver
3) run the Aniconf.exe by double clicking it OR from the Elan tab on the mouse control panel
4) explore the several new possibilities. 

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

ETDSimpleUI is now working properly again after I reset all the settings thanks.

Interesting all those extra settings in ETDAniconf (which is what I referred to in the past as the "simple Elan control panel"), although some of them (like the "Corner Tap Zone") don't seem to actually work. The animated graphic shows the corner taps, but nothing actually happens, whatever function is selected.

I'm not quite sure what the distinction is between "Clicking" and "Button".
As RainyShadow discovered some time ago, my cheap and nasty touchpad actually only has one physical "button" switch, and what it does depends on where your finger is on the touchpad when it's "pushed". I suspect those functions are more for touchpads with two actual physical buttons.

The "Options" button on the Mouse Properties tab still seems to bring up the ETDmcpl control panel BTW, not the ETDAniconf control panel.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

The "Options" button on the Mouse Properties tab still seems to bring up the ETDmcpl control panel BTW, not the ETDAniconf control panel.

UI_Theme needs to be 1 here to have the Aniconf start from the mouse Properties.

I also have Visible_Animation=1 and CustomerDefinition set to 5 but these seems not being relevant.

Probably you need to stop ETDctrl.exe to sense the change?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Stopping and starting ETDctrl.exe didn't fix it, nor did a reboot.
All the registry settings are as you specified.
Still getting the "full" Elan control panel ETDmcpl on the Mouse Properties "Option" button.
Incidentally, this probably has nothing to do with this, but the machine is now hanging for a very long time on "Loading your personal settings" when it's started up.
It loads eventually, but it's taking far longer than it used to, and I've not knowingly changed anything recently that's not part of this investigation.

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

I don't know.

I originally imported "your" HKCU and HKLM settings.

Then (when something didn't work anymore) re-imported your HKCU settings only.

Then the smartpaddisplay0x1.reg.

Then the smartpad_ShowItem0x1.reg.

Then experimented with the various keys.

About the "Corner Tap Zone", for *some reason* the ETDAniconf sets all four corners Width and Height to 0x00, with the net effect that there are no corners to tap on.

And even the graphical representation (inside ETDAniconf.exe) always shows 0 sized corners.

The only tool that seems to deal with it properly is the "Toshiba.exe" (possibly also the "Lenovo.exe" but right now I cannot verify) that - even if it throws an error from time to time about the ETD_DLL.dll (so we actually found what this .dll is used for) and has other limitations, it seemingly sets corner just fine.

It's madness, however try setting manually the relevant keys to a "sound" value (0x30), i.e. try importing the attached .reg and see if corner tapping does anything.

Functions are:

TL Start Menu
TR Zoom+
BL Back to Desktop
BR Zoom -

jaclaz

smartpad_corner_tap.zip

9 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I imported that registry file and the "corner tapping" function has now disappeared!

Hmmm. :dubbio:

Reimport the two .regs in the attached, (the previous one I posted I deleted as there was a mistake in it), and then reimport the smartpad_corner_tap.reg.

Then WITHOUT opening the ETDAniconf.exe or the ETDmcpl.dll try if when tapping on the corners of the touchpaf anything happens.

jaclaz

ResetRegs.zip

No, nothing happens.

When I run ETDAniconf I do now have the "Corner Tap Zone" option again.
It shows tiny corner icons on the graphic which can be dragged to make them larger.
They still don't seem to do anything though.

20200607_201548.thumb.jpg.8d8fe3b1456a28032424428e892a8299.jpg

Edited by Dave-H
Correction