[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

9 hours ago, win32 said:

The processor driver is primarily for power management

Yes, absolutely ! I ran Vista without this driver and without any issues, but the "bug" you're talking about was still there. 

The CPU ran at its maximum clock without the intel CPU driver. I want to ask, on Hawell x64 Vista always says the "logon procedure failure",

so maybe need to search for the problem in its "logon procedures" ?

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

The CPU ran at its maximum clock without the intel CPU driver. I want to ask, on Hawell x64 Vista always says the "logon procedure failure",

so maybe need to search for the problem in its "logon procedures" ?

The error code that produces the message associated with the logon procedure failure can come from a wide variety of functions; when I was using a Kaby Lake laptop I tried to debug it. But debuggers would fail to run! So I would have to return to the laptop, change every reference to the error code in ntdll/kernel32 (and a few other lower level DLLs) so each one returns a unique error code (so one function would return a message associated with error code 85, the next would return one associated with 86) to identify what exactly is failing in there.

Unfortunately the build quality of the laptop is very poor so it cannot be moved easily, as it can't be closed without risking the screen snapping off (and thus it's not where I actually live).

2 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Yeah, @win32 with @Mov AX, 0xDEADand @George King must make the patch for both those builds

You can't dictate what any user can or cannot do.  The latter two are focused on Windows XP anyway and there is no telling how successful the HAL wrapper will be. But if it is, it will give me more flexibility in modernizing parts of the kernel.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

The latter two are focused on Windows XP anyway and there is no telling how successful the HAL wrapper will be. But if it is, it will give me more flexibility in modernizing parts of the kernel.

I don't mean for how successful the HAL wrapper will be. But just for the missing needed functions only, if someday you need to backport that kernel-mode files from newer OS. The rest is your business.

Edited by Brickedandroid

15 hours ago, win32 said:

The error code that produces the message associated with the logon procedure failure can come from a wide variety of functions; when I was using a Kaby Lake laptop I tried to debug it. But debuggers would fail to run! So I would have to return to the laptop, change every reference to the error code in ntdll/kernel32 (and a few other lower level DLLs) so each one returns a unique error code (so one function would return a message associated with error code 85, the next would return one associated with 86) to identify what exactly is failing in there.

Unfortunately the build quality of the laptop is very poor so it cannot be moved easily, as it can't be closed without risking the screen snapping off (and thus it's not where I actually live).

Randomized ?! Well, looks like it has something to do with anti hacker protection. I remember this "Logon black screen of death" got way worse with SP1 , where they introduced a tougher anti-crack protection. That being said, I had (and have) a legit Vista sold with my PC, but it didn't have service packs at all, and when I tried to install SP1 in 2008 , I also had the crappy error with my new Core Quad, so I decided to stay on Vista without SP and the error went away. With SP1 it also had the same black screen , but only hard black screen without *some* of the services failed to start.

The message was the same "logon bla bla bla". If I install x64 Vista ZERO SP on a haswell, it's still more stable, apart from the limited VRAM problem with my 12GB card, of course. It only allows 4 or so.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Randomized ?! Well, looks like it has something to do with anti hacker protection. I remember this "Logon black screen of death" got way worse with SP1 , where they introduced a tougher anti-crack protection. That being said, I had (and have) a legit Vista sold with my PC, but it didn't have service packs at all, and when I tried to install SP1 in 2008 , I also had the crappy error with my new Core Quad, so I decided to stay on Vista without SP and the error went away. With SP1 it also had the same black screen , but only hard black screen without *some* of the services failed to start.

The message was the same "logon bla bla bla". If I install x64 Vista ZERO SP on a haswell, it's still more stable, apart from the limited VRAM problem with my 12GB card, of course. It only allows 4 or so.

And the TSC fix was introduced since 2007. But why Micros*ft didn't implement that s*** in SP1???

11 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

And the TSC fix was introduced since 2007. But why Micros*ft didn't implement that s*** in SP1???

Again, when you writesomething, please elaborate. Meaning write down the KB number, provide with links, etc.

Articles are also very useful, even if old. And swearing is not necessary, especially in win32's section.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new here. I'm using Vista Kernel Extend october 2022. The equipment in question is a 2007 notebook that came with Windows Vista Home Premium. Now I installed Ultimate. I wanted to know what I need to do to run Microsoft Edge on it. I also wanted to know if there's a way to install Opera GX. Thanks!

deskver.jpg

14 hours ago, lieggio said:

Hello, I'm new here. I'm using Vista Kernel Extend october 2022. The equipment in question is a 2007 notebook that came with Windows Vista Home Premium. Now I installed Ultimate. I wanted to know what I need to do to run Microsoft Edge on it. I also wanted to know if there's a way to install Opera GX. Thanks!

deskver.jpg

Install Edge on a Windows 7 computer and then copy the files from Program Files to the Program Files on Vista. Be warned, it is buggy. It will most likely start on the first try, but subsequent tries may not be successful.

@win32 Try backporting the windows 7's d3d9.dll to Windows Vista Extended Kernel. Because finally I have found myself that the exact culprit of the newer version of Intel HD 4000 driver aero problem is the d3d9.dll file located in System32 and SysWOW64 folder.

Edited by Brickedandroid

On 12/26/2022 at 1:16 AM, Jakob99 said:

Install Edge on a Windows 7 computer and then copy the files from Program Files to the Program Files on Vista. Be warned, it is buggy. It will most likely start on the first try, but subsequent tries may not be successful.

So if I install edge on Windows 7, copy everything from it and put it on vista, it should work? Would the same be true for Opera GX? I will test it too. Many thanks for the reply.