[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

53 minutes ago, lieggio said:

So if I install edge on Windows 7, copy everything from it and put it on vista, it should work? Would the same be true for Opera GX? I will test it too. Many thanks for the reply.

Yeah. Should also work for Opera GX too, although don't expect miracles with that one. Be warned, if your Edge experience is anything like mine, it will open on the first try, but then subsequent times will most likely be unsuccessful.

14 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Yeah. Should also work for Opera GX too, although don't expect miracles with that one. Be warned, if your Edge experience is anything like mine, it will open on the first try, but then subsequent times will most likely be unsuccessful.

OK. Worth the experience.

Taking advantage of this, I don't remember how or why it got like this, but the first time I installed the kernel extend in Windows Vista on this notebook from 2007, Windows 10 kept appearing in the compatibility tab. I will post here.

I had removed Vista from this notebook to test Windows 11, which ran on it quite well. I had to disable a bunch of stuff, but it ran. But at the time it was with SSD. I went to help someone and sold the SSD to him. Then I put mechanical HD again. So I took the opportunity to install the new Vista Kernel (October 2022). And it's running great.

Here I am running:

Photoshop CC
Office 2010
Firefox 102
sony vegas 17
Camtasia Studio 8.0.0

It works well because it is an AMD Turion 64 x2 processor (2 cores and 2 threads), with 4Gb of DDR2 RAM and a Radeon 2400 GPU.

It has some CPU peaks, but in general it has very low consumption.

Wanted to try running Opera GX on it. If it works out, it'll be great. However, not even downloading the Windows 7 version does it install itself.

Edge, on the other hand, is just curiosity. Since I don't even use it on Windows 11. I prefer Opera GX or Seamonkey (which I customized to be a modern version of Netscape).

Maybe I'll use Netscape (Seamonkey) on it.

I'll keep doing tests.

Thank you for the tips.

2 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Any news about the next version of extended kernel? And any progress on 32-bit application support?

image.png

image.png

Standard 32 bit Chromium works as well, including extensions. But Steam and Discord do not work properly yet. Steam can connect to the Internet again, but the Chromium parts of it don't display anything and logs are not very helpful at this time.

They are continuing to add functions to Chromium 111, and I was able to run that with --no-sandbox, but not with sandbox yet.

2 hours ago, win32 said:

image.png

image.png

Standard 32 bit Chromium works as well, including extensions. But Steam and Discord do not work properly yet. Steam can connect to the Internet again, but the Chromium parts of it don't display anything and logs are not very helpful at this time.

They are continuing to add functions to Chromium 111, and I was able to run that with --no-sandbox, but not with sandbox yet.

Please also backport the Windows 7's d3d9.dll for Windows Vista to solve the newer Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version problem

1 hour ago, Brickedandroid said:

Please also backport the Windows 7's d3d9.dll for Windows Vista to solve the newer Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version problem

Based on my experience with Vulkan on Vista-compatible NVIDIA drivers, I would not be so quick to pin the issues on user-mode components. I'm not sure if there were any major changes to D3D9 since Vista brought in D3D9Ex. I would have to do a binary diff of the Vista SP2 and 7 SP1 D3D9 binaries...

38 minutes ago, win32 said:

Based on my experience with Vulkan on Vista-compatible NVIDIA drivers, I would not be so quick to pin the issues on user-mode components. I'm not sure if there were any major changes to D3D9 since Vista brought in D3D9Ex. I would have to do a binary diff of the Vista SP2 and 7 SP1 D3D9 binaries...

It has been changed since Windows 7 build 6936. I tried replacing the d3d9.dll file with build 6910's and it still behaves like Vista's d3d9.dll (BEX64 crash code c0000005), but build 6936's works perfectly just like normal. I tested it myself on Windows 7 build 7000. Driver version: 10.18.10.4885 (December 2017 build), using George King's NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender

Edited by Brickedandroid

5 minutes ago, Brickedandroid said:

It has been changed since build 6936. I tried replacing the d3d9.dll file with build 6910's and it still behaves like Vista's d3d9.dll (BEX64 crash code c0000005), but build 6936's works perfectly just like normal. I tested it myself on Windows 7 build 7000. Driver version: 10.18.10.4885 (December 2017 build)

Interesting result. But I won't be able to get the 7601 d3d9.dll easily, as all the dependencies are effectively in win32k or the DirectX graphics kernel, much like with the Vulkan support in the NVIDIA drivers. The 6936 or 7000 versions may be easier, but they are not final so I would risk introducing further instability.

6 minutes ago, win32 said:

Interesting result. But I won't be able to get the 7601 d3d9.dll easily, as all the dependencies are effectively in win32k or the DirectX graphics kernel, much like with the Vulkan support in the NVIDIA drivers. The 6936 or 7000 versions may be easier, but they are not final so I would risk introducing further instability.

Use the 7601.17514 d3d9.dll, don't use the updated version such as extracted from the platform update.

24 minutes ago, win32 said:

Or try with build 7600

3 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Or try with build 7600

3 hours ago, win32 said:

With that file it wouldn't be Vista then ! DX in Windows 7 is blurry. Though, I totally understand someone with 720p monitor wouldn't even notice. I don't know what that win-7 DX file does and why it is blurry, maybe it applies some sort of filters ? But in the end, it's blurry and has a bluish tint. Especially noticable on 10 or 12-bit TV/Monitor.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

With that file it wouldn't be Vista then ! DX in Windows 7 is blurry. Though, I totally understand someone with 720p monitor wouldn't even notice. I don't know what that win-7 DX file does and why it is blurry, maybe it applies some sort of filters ? But in the end, it's blurry and has a bluish tint. Especially noticable on 10 or 12-bit TV/Monitor.

No, but Windows Vista's Direct3D 9 runtime has some conflicts with newer Intel HD 4000 drivers!

I just want to backport or mod the DirectX 9 runtime file from Windows 7 only. DirectX 10, 11, and OpenGL are remain UNCHANGED!

Edited by Brickedandroid

3 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

No, but Windows Vista's Direct3D 9 runtime has some conflicts with newer Intel HD 4000 drivers!

I just want to backport or mod the DirectX 9 runtime file from Windows 7 only. DirectX 10, 11, and OpenGL are remain UNCHANGED!

I understand that, you may do whatever you want for yourself, but for the public release and for the public who wants to use Vista (not win7 or its files) it wouldn't be wise. 

10 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I understand that, you may do whatever you want for yourself, but for the public release and for the public who wants to use Vista (not win7 or its files) it wouldn't be wise. 

This patch is also for Intel iGPU users, especially Intel UHD and Iris.

So, just create this and wrap up it into the separate 7z file.

The involved files are just d3d9.dll, gdi32.dll, user32.dll, and API-MS-WIN dlls only.

Edited by Brickedandroid

16 hours ago, win32 said:

Steam can connect to the Internet again, but the Chromium parts of it don't display anything

So, logging in to Steam is possible, but Steam itself is unusable? Am I understanding that correctly?

Edited by mina7601