Detect Samsung Galaxy S5 phone on Win XP?

we3fan

Hi guys :), I want to ask you for an advice about my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.

I have a Win 7 PC and it detects my phone automatically when I connect it with the cable.

I also have an old Win XP PC with no internet connection that I use only for some old games, my XP PC can't detect my phone automatically when I connect it with the cable, it probably doesn't have the drivers needed.
I tried:
SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones
SAMSUNG Android USB Device Driver
MTP Porting Kit
SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device Driver
SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface Driver
- but nothing worked.

From my limited tests the only way my XP PC to detect my phone is to install Windows Media Player 11, maybe there is some other better or more simple method but I don't know about it yet.
I like the default Windows Media Player 9 and I don't like Windows Media Player 11, so I was wondering if there is some way to use or register the Windows Media Player 11 files and drivers without actually installing Windows Media Player 11, and hoping that it would detect my phone.

Is there some way my XP PC to detect my Galaxy S5 phone without installing Windows Media Player 11?

Thanks for your time.

Open up the WMP 11 installer in 7zip and extract two exes that are titled something like umdf.exe and wmf11.exe and run just those. You will get the advanced MTP drivers that will allow you to access your S5 and keep your WMP 9.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

You can enable your phone to appear as a flash drive and use on any PC that supports 48-bit LBA, NTFS, and USB ;) (Any computer after 2005 should work fine)

I don't think 48bit LBA support would be necessary if the phone's storage is <128 GB. Or is it for some weird reason? So in that case, it would be any PC after 1996/97 with an OS with USB mass storage support.

Why did we even need MTP anyway? All it does lock out OSes older than XP. And MTP device access is much slower in Windows 7/8.1/10 than in XP and 2000 in my experience. :thumbdown

Edited by win32

13 hours ago, win32 said:

Open up the WMP 11 installer in 7zip and extract two exes that are titled something like umdf.exe and wmf11.exe and run just those. You will get the advanced MTP drivers that will allow you to access your S5 and keep your WMP 9.

This. And if you want to be able to connect your phone while debugging is enabled (for some reasons, I do) keep Samsung Android drivers installed.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it, I think all of them are great advices worth trying, I have a feeling that win32's method would work best but I want to try all of them 1 by 1.

I will first check if RainyShadow's advice is possible, this "USB storage" option - does it show only when I connect the phone to the PC or I can find it in my phone Settings?

My phone model is: Samsung Galaxy S5, SM-G900V, Android 6.0.1, 5.1" 1920x1080 screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM.

3 hours ago, we3fan said:

I will first check if RainyShadow's advice is possible, this "USB storage" option - does it show only when I connect the phone to the PC or I can find it in my phone Settings?

It would appear when the phone is connected to the PC (change between USB, MTP, PTP and charging). But I also have a Galaxy S5 with Android 6.0.1 and USB mass storage is not available. :(

On 4/26/2020 at 4:01 PM, win32 said:

I don't think 48bit LBA support would be necessary if the phone's storage is <128 GB. Or is it for some weird reason? So in that case, it would be any PC after 1996/97 with an OS with USB mass storage support.

Why did we even need MTP anyway? All it does lock out OSes older than XP. And MTP device access is much slower in Windows 7/8.1/10 than in XP and 2000 in my experience. :thumbdown

You may need it. My Windows ME laptop would not read my NTFS 128gb flash drive unless I updated the 48-bit LBA. It would read in FAT32 mode though.

I do not recommend using "mass storage mode" since it can only access to SD card - at least it did on 2 or 3 different phones I've tried to connect - the MTP method should just work fine if you need to access to the internal storage.

The 5 options it shows when I connect the phone to both PCs are: Charging, File Transfer, Photo Transfer, Software installation and MIDI. I don't see "USB mass storage" option so I guess it's not available for my phone, I think my phone is not rooted so that could be the reason why I don't see this "USB mass storage" option.

I will try the MTP method now, are both umdf.exe and wmf...11.exe necessary or only 1 of them is enough? And does it matter which one is installed first or no?

1 hour ago, we3fan said:

I will try the MTP method now, are both umdf.exe and wmf...11.exe necessary or only 1 of them is enough? And does it matter which one is installed first or no?

I believe both are needed. Install UMDF (User-Mode Driver Framework) first.

Thanks again, I will see what I can do.

A bit off-topic:
I tried to make 'File Transfer' option to show as default when I connect the phone to the PC, I did this: Developer options > USB configuration > MTP
(Media Transfer Protocol), and it seems to work but only the first time, if I disconnect and connect the phone again it is set to 'Charging' again.
With 'USB debugging' enabled it behaves the same.

Is this normal or it's a bug? Is it possible to make 'File Transfer' option to show every time I connect the phone to the PC?

On 4/30/2020 at 11:22 AM, we3fan said:

Is this normal or it's a bug? Is it possible to make 'File Transfer' option to show every time I connect the phone to the PC?

Seems like a bug or some kind of security feature - though it's possible just to not expose anything via MTP if phone is locked without disabling it entirely. Same on my LineageOS 14.1 based on Android 7.1.2. On Sony's stock OS based on Android 4.4.4, it was also possible to use MTP and USB tethering simultaneously if I remember correctly. Here, the options in USB configuration indicate to be able to use either one or another, so it was done intentionally.

Edited by UCyborg