One billion people using Windows 10 ...

jaclaz

One in every seven people on the planet are planning, creating, ideating [sic], executing, moving, shaking and doing great things with Windows 10.

Reading facebook messages about where to get your fix of toilet paper is not covered by any of the above buzzwords. I think that consists of 60% of Windows 10 usage, whilst 8% is for real productivity, and 32% is being hampered by OS bugs or forced updates.

Freedom of choice has always mattered to us—because we know it matters to you. Windows 10 is the only operating system at the heart of over 80,000 models and configurations of different laptops and 2-in-1s from over 1,000 different manufacturers.

What a contradictory statement. There is an illusion of choice of 80 000 models, but:

-the only difference between laptop models may be the colour of the lid

-or the only difference between models could be that one is intended for Walmart (model ID is suffixed "wm") whilst one is intended for Lidl (suffixed "ld")

et cetera.

Overall, there are probably no more than a few hundred hardware configurations at a few price points and certainly little choice in OS. NVIDIA mobile graphics drivers for RTX don't even support Windows 7 so you can forget it on the newest of those so-called 80 000 models. Why do mobile graphics have less legacy support than their desktop counterparts?

So people are always being forced to run Windows 10, even if it's not automatically downloaded to 7 and 8.1 machines anymore.

From 1.0 to 10 and beyond

There were a few steps in between 1.0 and 10 that went wayyyy above 10, but never mind.

They are counting "Fortune 500" companies in with this 1 billion number. This is revealing because a large company like that would not be having active computers running on Microsoft accounts. They would be running on AD. What is the adoption rate of Azure AD? Is it 50% or less? This 1 billion number must be including systems that run local accounts... unless it is a smokescreen and perhaps this 1 billion is how many MS accounts have ever been signed into an OS, active or not. As with previous marketing numbers like this, I still wonder whether or not it includes sales figures and would include SKUs outside of the typical OS people know such as the IoT products.

In any case, this is a "look at us, we are the best" type of article that is aimed at... who exactly? What competitors do they have? Windows 10's #1 competition is actually Windows 7. We know MS doesn't make phones anymore, so Google and Apple competitors don't count.

for them, i don't care
but what i saw few days ago on TV about my millitary using "sophisticated software" and cameras to track immigrant wave thru balkan routes
and then the software ran on winblows 10 ... i was just "oh my f-ing god" :D

• 4 weeks later...

Yep I'm one of those billion but with no problems whatsoever but after 40+ years working I also run a good enough system. Usually run Noels script since he got it going and it was still working although I modify it a bit but this time around trying the Decrapifier. Don't care if MS is spying on what? I care more about china or other hackers trying to get into my system and use it for whatever so I focus on that.

I might be 1 or 3 or 5 or 7 or 100. What am I counting, what are they counting? Am I just me, or does my IoT notebook count, do my multiple MS accounts count? I have installed it hundreds of times and activated it tens of times.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:28 PM, maxXPsoft said:

Don't care if MS is spying on what? I care more about china or other hackers trying to get into my system and use it for whatever so I focus on that.

except MS already admited (it was in some now outdated article), they can see what is on your hard drive and what files do you access.

On 4/18/2020 at 8:04 PM, vinifera said:

except MS already admited (it was in some now outdated article), they can see what is on your hard drive and what files do you access.

Well I have nothing to hide and out of a billion I'm probably not worth looking at. I've experimented quite a bit with many of their OS and hacked on them. If anyone that afraid of MS seeing what they have then why are they not running Linux? I run those scripts to remove the stuff for 1 main reason, speed the PC up. I run doze cause that's what we use at work and I stay on top of my game cause I'm a maintenance electronic tech who work's on PC also.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:18 PM, HarryTri said:

1 billion people spied by Microsoft...

That's the reason I refuse to go back to Microsoft and use Windows 10. Unfortunately for gaming reasons I need to do an install, but rest assured that I will try to remove as much as possible of their spyware/bloatware sh** before doing anything on it.

I'm a mac user now (since 2010), and the last operating system I used was Windows 7, before that I used Windows 2000 for a very long period. Not even the 7 was able to captivate me. I run VMs of Win 3.x and 9.x just for nostalgic purposes and because I believe they were the best I have ever used.

Now, Apple is also showing signs of bad decisions (well, that was expected, after Jobs death) and seems to be taking a quite bad route with the rumours of ARM based Macs and iOS/macOS convergence. That said, I also have a elementaryOS linux VM running, preparing myself to leave another ship to jump into other OS.

But we always go back to Windows because of the games. Frankly, these games are not cheap, neither is a Windows 10 license; since linux is free, these lazy developers should also do a linux version of their games!!! That would bring some real pricing competition to Windows. But this will never happen.

To be honest, I'm more scared of Google spying us than Microsoft. Hence why I avoid Google Chrome and all of their other products (I still own a Gmail account, but I am moving to another account this year)

• 4 weeks later...

@Bruninho, @HarryTri, et al, suffice it to say that pretty much all the major tech companies are out to get our info one way or another.  That seems to just be a part of doing business for them nowadays, unfortunately.  And even more disturbingly, most people don't give it a second thought anymore (we're at the point, it seems, where the current generation doesn't know what it was like before privacy was routinely ignored, so they don't question the practice as much as those of generations past do).

I would say Apple is among the least malevolent, to their credit, but I won't go as far as to say that they're completely innocent (the "Walled Garden" they've developed the iOS ecosystem within is okay for what it is, but rather limiting if one doesn't wish to conform 100%).  Their software doesn't track one's every move without permission, and Apple appears to care more sincerely about their users' privacy.  And w/rt the "ARM Mac", it concerns me because it means the Mac is going to become little more than an overgrown iPad, and I'm hoping they don't lock down the platform down as the iOS one has been since the beginning, because if they do, I may finally make the switch to Linux when my current crop of software becomes too old to be useful (I continually dabble with various Linux distros in case of such an event).

Google, Facebook and MS seem to be the polar opposite.  I actually bought and installed a Windows 10 Pro for Workstations license on my main PC so I can say I have it for real, and not in a VM, but I still find myself using mostly macOS, Windows 7, XP and 2000, with a bit of MS-DOS and Windows 9x as seasoning, primarily because I simply like those OSes better.

I've managed to mostly whip my install of 10 into submission pretty well, and it looks and behaves more or less like Windows 7 and 8.x, which is good enough for me, but no matter what, I just can't seem to actually like it, mostly because of some of MS' boneheaded design decisions, such as, for example, that weird, mutant Start Menu,;  while it is somewhat similar to the menus of Yore, it's still no substitute for the Start Menus of older systems (my favorite is the classic menu, but the "new" XP menu, and those of Vista and 7 are okay too).

c

7 hours ago, cc333 said:

where the current generation doesn't know what it was like before privacy was routinely ignored, so they don't question the practice as much as those of generations past do

I wonder what sparked the change in vernacular from "Private Messaging" to "Direct Messaging", as most young people refer to DMs instead of PMs. Probably as an admission by whoever pushed it that once-private messages are no longer private.

7 hours ago, cc333 said:

Facebook and MS

A person I know has recently had their Facebook account compromised. They vehemently claim that no phishing took place and that the password was dissimilar to other passwords and somewhat complex. But they had previously used several of the games based on the site. Since these applications have been known to access plenty of user information, I wonder if some may have fallen into disrepute and sold to unsavoury characters who are now exploiting the user data, or perhaps Facebook itself has other vulnerabilities that have yet to be disclosed.

Dealing with MS isn't terribly difficult nowadays if many of the diagnostic services are disabled and an external (as in not part of Windows) firewall is used to block the OS from communicating to MS. But it still irks me that there are services that cannot be disabled, at least through the service UI, many of which are not needed to run the OS (maybe Server 2019 would be better in that respect?).

If only they had given the option to show the start menu like the classic one (but with the modern fluent design, of course) then it wouldnt be that bad. They could even compete with the Classic/Open Shell add-on. Same goes for the file explorer - needs more customization to give the users a 9x feel on newer design. This way they can cater for the whole audience. The file explorer is so bad that I had even thought about using the old WinFile they did for Windows 10 on GitHub.

But no, they do not listen us...

Edited by Bruninho