Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
Tripredacus

Hard Disk reliability leaderboard

Just a fun topic, if anyone wants to see what kind of life their old hard disks have.

After my recent panic of experiencing a disk failure that contained critical data at the office, I had realised that I had never had done a backup at home. So I had gone out and bought an external hard disk with some backup software. Before doing so, I decided to check out the Power On Hours of three of the four HDDs in the system, to see how long I had really gone dodging a data loss bullet. These disks are all in my "daily driver" Windows 7 32bit PC which I had posted about in the Windows 7 Uptime thread.

First up is a SATA disk Western Digital 80 GB WD800AAJS-00B4A0 with Power On Hours of 90701 (3779 days, 10.3 years)
sYGF81a.jpg

But then there is this IDE data drive, Maxtor 80 GB 6L080L4 with Power On Hours of 139645 (5818 days, 15.9 years)
85OkkU3.jpg

And this other IDE HDD, Maxtor 20 GB 6L020J1 with Power On Hours of 139783 (5824 days, 15.9 years)
voOcCM0.jpg

The two IDE HDDs were from my Windows XP computer. I even remember buying that 20 GB disk at CompUSA for $100.

Power on count is more interesting... You never restart it except updates and power outages, right? :P