On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

3 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@maile3241 Once more. I wonder why in @sunsetsansyy's log window green connections exist to urls outlook.live.com and login.live.com. Is that due to the fact that Windows XP is running in a VM? I do not have these connections, I have a real installation of XP. You are running VMs too. So why these connections?

If desired I can try the exact same thing on a real machine with the same steps

10 minutes ago, sunsetsansyy said:

If desired I can try the exact same thing on a real machine with the same steps

No, thanks a lot. I'm just thinking about your connections coloured green in ProxHTTPSProxy's log window. I assume it is caused by running XP in a VM but I need a confirmation of someone using VMs too. And the winner is @maile3241 :buehehe: :crazy:

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

10 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

No, thanks a lot. I'm just thinking about your connections coloured green in ProxHTTPSProxy's log window. I assume it is caused by running XP in a VM but I need a confirmation of someone using VMs too. And the winner is @maile3241 :buehehe: :crazy:

Well, for me, I also get these connections in a VM and I don't know why. I am using Virtualbox 5.2.4.4 in MacOS, and using an original MSDN SP3 iso for XP.

6 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Well, for me, I also get these connections in a VM and I don't know why. I am using Virtualbox 5.2.4.4 in MacOS, and using an original MSDN SP3 iso for XP.

Thanks a lot for replying! Therefore the winner is @xpandvistafan ! Ok, just a joke. I assume it is caused definitely by VM (Microsoft!). I have seen these connections in @mina7601's screenshots some posts above too. She lets XP running in a VM either.

Edited by AstroSkipper

Hi @maile3241! You know my installation of XP is a very old one. So in the past there was no need to install XP freshly or to reinstall and therefore no chance for me to confirm your solution relating to automatic ActiveX download. But that's what I usually do before posting. Anyway I have updated my guide and linked your solution with reference to you. As we have seen some posts above it works and that's what matters. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

36 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hi @maile3241! You know my installation of XP is a very old one. So in the past there was no need to install XP freshly or to reinstall and therefore no chance for me to confirm your solution relating to automatic ActiveX download. But that's what I usually do before posting. Anyway I have updated my guide and linked your solution with reference to you. As we have seen some posts above it works and that's what matters. :thumbup

Thank you! :worship:

17 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Thank you! :worship:

What shall I say? You're welcome! Of course! BTW I assume the button "Check for Updates" worked for me in the past because automatic ActiveX download was present at that time. What do you think? I did not have such problems which have been reported here. :no:

9 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

What shall I say? You're welcome! Of course! BTW I assume the button "Check for Updates" worked for me in the past because automatic ActiveX download was present at that time. What do you think? I did not have such problems which have been reported here. :no:

That always worked before. I remember very well before Microsoft shut down the original website. If the page http://update.microsoft.com is not in the trusted sites, the button works, but then you get the message "The page cannot be displayed". The MU link in the start menu doesn't work either. That is, if the button "Check for updates" doesn't work, close the page and open MU from the Start menu and MU will load.

Edited by maile3241