On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

I followed the guide of restoring WU to IE. It gets called up normally after starting it from start menu (or from Tools menu in IE) with ProxHTTPSProxyHII open, but it gives me an error code 0x80072F78 when checking for updates (Both Express and Custom).

If someone would help me solve this error, that'd be nice.

The version of heinoganda's ProxyHTTPSProxyMII I'm using is REV3e. All necessary updates for the guide are installed. Certificate is in Trusted Root Certification Authoritites. Roots and Revoked Certificates are updated to the latest.

spacer.png

If you need more information, ask. :)

18 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I followed the guide of restoring WU to IE. It gets called up normally after starting it from start menu (or from Tools menu in IE) with ProxHTTPSProxyHII open, but it gives me an error code 0x80072F78 when checking for updates (Both Express and Custom).

If someone would help me solve this error, that'd be nice.

The version of heinoganda's ProxyHTTPSProxyMII I'm using is REV3e. All necessary updates for the guide are installed. Certificate is in Trusted Root Certification Authoritites. Roots and Revoked Certificates are updated to the latest.

Hi, I will gladly help you to solve your problem. At first you can post your Windows Update log located in Windows system folder. Which guide did you follow? Is it this one "Complete guide for restoring Microsoft Update in IE"? Most of people here had this error code 0x80072F78 because one or more steps of my guide were missing or not performed properly.

Edited by AstroSkipper

24 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hi, I will gladly help you to solve your problem. At first you can post your Windows Update log located in Windows system folder.

By "Windows system folder", do you mean "C:\Windows\system\"? I don't see any Windows Update log there, unless it's there somewhere I don't know. :dubbio:

26 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Which guide did you follow? Is it this one "Complete guide for restoring Microsoft Update in IE"?

Yes.

27 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Most of people here had this error code 0x80072F78 because one or more steps of my guide were missing or not performed properly.

Most of the steps in your guide were done using Install.cmd in @xpandvistafan's Restore_WU_XP.7z package. The rest (Registry merge [tls 1.2.reg, posready.reg], ProxyHTTPSProxyMII configuring for WU site, etc..) were done by me.

I have double-checked that I followed all of your steps in your guide properly, but I'll check 1 more time just to be sure.

1 minute ago, mina7601 said:

By "Windows system folder", do you mean "C:\Windows\system\"? I don't see any Windows Update log there, unless it's there somewhere I don't know

No, I mean folder "C:\Windows\" and the file is called "WindowsUpdate.log".

4 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

By "Windows system folder", do you mean "C:\Windows\system\"? I don't see any Windows Update log there, unless it's there somewhere I don't know. :dubbio:

Yes.

Most of the steps in your guide were done using Install.cmd in @xpandvistafan's Restore_WU_XP.7z package. The rest (Registry merge [tls 1.2.reg, posready.reg], ProxyHTTPSProxyMII configuring for WU site, etc..) were done by me.

I have double-checked that I followed all of your steps in your guide properly, but I'll check 1 more time just to be sure.

What version of the package did you use? Latest one is 1.2.1 on MDL.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:15 AM, xpandvistafan said:

What version of the package did you use? Latest one is 1.2.1 on MDL.

I used the one linked here, version 1.2. I'm not a registered user at MDL.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:15 AM, AstroSkipper said:

No, I mean folder "C:\Windows\" and the file is called "WindowsUpdate.log".

Ok, here it is.

Edited by mina7601
Deleted attachment.

7 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I tried just now, but I am stuck through this page.

Clicking on "Check for Updates" does nothing.

Go to system panel, Automatic Updates and switch to "Automatic". Then try again and as an alternative this url: 
http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en&g_sconsumersite=1

Edited by AstroSkipper

13 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Done all of these.

Check if  the correct patched  version of "wuaueng.dll" exists in both folder system32 and system32\dllcache. In a lot of cases SFC (System File Protection) replaces the patched version by an original one. And what about config.ini of ProxyHTTPSProxyMII? Did you use my provided file?

Edited by AstroSkipper
Addition

On 3/19/2022 at 1:38 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Check if  the correct patched  version of "wuaueng.dll" exists in both folder system32 and system32\dllcache. In a lot of cases SFC replaces the patched version by an original one. And what about config.ini of ProxyHTTPSProxyMII? Did you use my provided file?

wuaueng.dll did not exist in dllcache folder, but I put it there too as well.

They are both version 7.6.7600.256.

As for config.ini, no, I didn't use yours.

Edited by mina7601

14 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

wuaueng.dll did not exist in dllcache folder, but I put it there too as well.

They are both version 7.6.7600.256.

You have to compare the file "wuaueng.dll" in folder system32 with the patched one from archive Restore_WU_XP.7z. The version number of unpatched and patched file are the same. So it can't be used for comparing. Therefore try a binary comparison! You have to be sure that the patched version of archive Restore_WU_XP.7z has been copied definitely to these folders. Or do it manually! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

3 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

You have to compare the file "wuaueng.dll" in folder system32 with the patched one from archive Restore_WU_XP.7z. 

Both are version 7.6.7600.256.

5 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Therefore try a binary comparison! :)

I should use HxD, right? Since I will be comparing hexes of both files.