On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

3 minutes ago, sunsetsansyy said:

Yes, I am facing a new error as shown in my previous screenshot i just posted

Now you've got error code 0x80244004 which means you "failed connecting to server". Please upload your WindowsUpdate.log now!

Just now, AstroSkipper said:

Now you've got error code 0x80244004 which means you "failed connecting to server". Please upload your WindowsUpdate.log now!

So! I have done my own investigation and it seems the wuaueng file got replaced, its trying to connect to the old server as shown in the ProxHTTPSProxy window. Mitigation should be easy as just replacing it with the patched version, BUT how would I go by doing this? I don't know how to replace the file as it is in use.

1 minute ago, sunsetsansyy said:

So! I have done my own investigation and it seems the wuaueng file got replaced, its trying to connect to the old server as shown in the ProxHTTPSProxy window. Mitigation should be easy as just replacing it with the patched version, BUT how would I go by doing this? I don't know how to replace the file as it is in use.

Type in cmd net stop wuauserv then the service will be stopped.

There are different ways to do that:
Disable SFC by patching a system file. Or stop the service wuauserv and try to replace file. Finally you can try replacing from outside of  your installation.

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

There are different ways to do that:
Disable SFC by patching a system file. Or stop the service wuauserv and try to replace file. Finally you can try replacing from outside of  your installation.

Success! I have successfully replaced the file and now the Proxy is being spammed with post requests to the correct server, this is great news I hope.

Success! I have successfully replaced the file and now the Proxy is being spammed with post requests to the correct server, this is great news I hope.

And are you now able to access MU successfully?

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

And are you now able to access MU successfully?

No, MU keeps asking about ActiveX then doesn't give me any notification about it. Windows Update is working flawlessly finding 251 updates!

5 minutes ago, sunsetsansyy said:

No, MU keeps asking about ActiveX then doesn't give me any notification about it. Windows Update is working flawlessly finding 251 updates!

Check your settings relating to ActiveX in IE Options, tab Security, Internet Zone. Verify whether ActiveX is enabled or set it to low..

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

9 minutes ago, sunsetsansyy said:

If you have reinstalled Xp, MU must be installed manually as the Activex control can no longer be downloaded automatically.

Here's a guide I've put together:

34 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I wonder why in your log window green connections exist to urls outlook.live.com and login.live.com. :dubbio:

Is that due to the fact that Windows XP is running in a VM? I do not have these connections, I have a real installation of XP.

1 minute ago, maile3241 said:

If you have reinstalled Xp, MU must be installed manually as the Activex control can no longer be downloaded automatically.

Here's a guide I've put together:

Thank you I will follow this guide hopefully to success