On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Sorry for everyone who replied to me hasn't seen me online. :( My network was down, and I wasn't able to access some sites, such as MSFN, and I wasn't able to be online on MSFN for almost 2 days because of that. :realmad:
I am back again nonetheless. :yes:
Anyways, first things first...

@LonghornXP I have no knowledge/experience about CFF Explorer, so I didn't use it (I know you said it's optional). If I had, I would've used that.
@maile3241 That update you suggested me to install was already included in Restore_WU_XP.7z, and installed after opening Install.cmd.
@AstroSkipper Of course yes, I did restart my VM after patching.
Here are some replies to some of your posts I missed:

On 3/19/2022 at 2:54 AM, AstroSkipper said:

@mina7601 Now I am online again. Are you still there? Any success? :) Ok, maybe too late today. We will see tomorrow. So long. :boring:

Sorry, I accidentally screwed my VM up when following your guide again, so I reset it entirely. :(
Actually I had a snapshot to revert to (that snapshot was showing a clean installation of my XP SP3 VM [no updates, no patches installed, no modifications...]), so, I didn't reinstall my XP VM entirely if that's what you thought I meant by "reset it entirely". :)

<OT>

On 3/19/2022 at 6:36 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I assume it is caused definitely by VM (Microsoft!). I have seen these connections in @mina7601's screenshots some posts above too.

Well, VMs are my only choice to run legacy OSes. If I had XP (or any other legacy OS) on real hardware, I wouldn't have thought of VMs. (Actually I would, but I would run vms of older version than what OS version my real hardware runs)

On 3/19/2022 at 6:36 PM, AstroSkipper said:

She lets XP running in a VM either.

I am male not female lol.

PS: Don't be angry or sad. Again, I was trying to access MSFN many times, but couldn't because of my network being down. Went offline from MSFN for almost 2 days because of that.
</OT>

Anyways, back on-topic again!

On 3/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, AstroSkipper said:

PS: I have updated the content of my "Complete guide for restoring Microsoft Update in IE". So if you still have problems, read the whole guide again and perform all steps once more by keeping the order of them! :hello:

On 3/20/2022 at 1:56 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Hi to all, to avoid unnecessary questions and problems while trying to restore access to MU web site, I have modified and updated the content of my guide "Complete guide for restoring Microsoft Update in IE". Now all steps have been fully numbered for better reference and the order has been corrected to avoid problems when completing all steps. Any assistance should be much easier now! Furthermore I think this will increase the probability of success for all people trying to follow the guide.
Any opinions or suggestions for improvement are always welcome. :yes:
Here is the link once again: 

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :D

Thanks for updating the guide, @AstroSkipper! I will try again!
PS: your guide has a typo: KB94228-V3. It should be KB942288-V3 instead, because I tried searching KB94228 in Microsoft Update Catalog, but it said no updates are found.
And finally...
OK, so, in conclusion, I will try again with this updated guide on my clean installed XP SP3 VM, I promise to be careful this time... :cool:

Best regards,
Mina

Edited by mina7601
Long post I know, just wanted to reply...

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks for clarifying. It's very sad but we must make a mark, no matter how small. :yes:

Indeed!  Mr. P's actions are inexcusable and he must be stopped!

I do have a DropBox account, therefore it is an option, of course. As I already mentioned above there has to be a possibility for me to delete old and add new versions of this guide.

OK.  What I'm thinking is maybe I'll just send you the file I made, and from there you can do with it what you will.

What tool do you use to generate a html version of my guide?

A text editor.  I handwrote it in HTML 4 and very minor CSS, so it should be viewable using virtually any browser, and it should be fairly easy to maintain.

c

14 minutes ago, cc333 said:

A text editor.  I handwrote it in HTML 4 and very minor CSS, so it should be viewable using virtually any browser, and it should be fairly easy to maintain.

What is this text editor named? Notepad++ (or the built-in Windows Notepad or Wordpad)? Microsoft Office Frontpage 2003? Please clarify!

2 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

What is this text editor named? Notepad++ (or the built-in Windows Notepad or Wordpad)? Microsoft Office Frontpage 2003? Please clarify!

I used a Mac program called TextWrangler, which is roughly equivalent to Notepad++.

c

24 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Sorry for everyone who replied to me hasn't seen me online. :( My network was down, and I wasn't able to access some sites, such as MSFN, and I wasn't able to be online on MSFN for almost 2 days because of that. :realmad:
I am back again nonetheless. :yes:
Anyways, first things first...

@LonghornXP I have no knowledge/experience about CFF Explorer, so I didn't use it (I know you said it's optional). If I had, I would've used that.
@maile3241 That update you suggested me to install was already included in Restore_WU_XP.7z, and installed after opening Install.cmd.
@AstroSkipper Of course yes, I did restart my VM after patching.
Here are some replies to some of your posts I missed:

Sorry, I accidentally screwed my VM up when following your guide again, so I reset it entirely. :(
Actually I had a snapshot to revert to (that snapshot was showing a clean installation of my XP SP3 VM [no updates, no patches installed, no modifications...]), so, I didn't reinstall my XP VM entirely if that's what you thought I meant by "reset it entirely". :)

<OT>

Well, VMs are my only choice to run legacy OSes. If I had XP (or any other legacy OS) on real hardware, I wouldn't have thought of VMs. (Actually I would, but I would run vms of older version than what OS version my real hardware runs)

PS: Don't be angry or sad. Again, I was trying to access MSFN many times, but couldn't because of my network being down. Went offline from MSFN for almost 2 days because of that.
</OT>

Anyways, back on-topic again!

Thanks for updating the guide, @AstroSkipper! I will try again!
PS: your guide has a typo: KB94228-V3. It should be KB942288-V3 instead, because I tried searching KB94228 in Microsoft Update Catalog, but it said no updates are found.
And finally...
OK, so, in conclusion, I will try again with this updated guide on my clean installed XP SP3 VM, I promise to be careful this time... :cool:

Best regards,
Mina

Yes that's right. It must read KB942288-V3 NOT KB9428-V3. Have you already checked if Tls 1.2 is present in the internet options?

Just now, maile3241 said:

Have you already checked if Tls 1.2 is present in the internet options?

Of course. It was present and checked. I had IE8 installed.
Now, I am trying again the guide.

2 minutes ago, cc333 said:

I used a Mac program called TextWrangler, which is roughly equivalent to Notepad++.

Interesting.

@mina7601Yes!  It's an older relative of BBEdit (same developers), so I suppose one could find a Windows-based equivalent if they wanted (TextWrangler is only 32-bit apparently, so it won't run on new Macs anymore, so I think I'll look into upgrading to the latest BBEdit, which is fully 64-bit).

c

24 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I am so sorry! Truth to be told I really thought you are female because of your name Mina (read in forum "Introduce Yourself!") meaning "heaven". Once again, I have to apologize to you! :yes: Do not be angry! Appearently I am not a Sherlock Holmes. :buehehe:

37 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Wow! You are the only one who has found my easter egg! :cheerleader: That means you have really read my guide carefully! Thanks for reporting! 

43 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Good luck! Hope it will work this time! Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

A small update.
I won't try the guide again until I get an answer to this question (it seems important to me in my opinion :yes:):

51 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

@xpandvistafan I actually wonder if there's any difference in the latest version (1.2.1) of your Restore_WU_XP.7z package from version 1.2.

Edited by mina7601

2 hours ago, mina7601 said:

A small update.
I won't try the guide again until I get an answer to this question (it seems important to me in my opinion):

3 hours ago, mina7601 said:

@xpandvistafan I actually wonder if there's any difference in the latest version (1.2.1) of your Restore_WU_XP.7z package from version 1.2.

As I wrote in my guide, everything can be done manually. That's how I did it. By doing things manually you have full control of what you do and verifying is much more easier. Here is the changelog to AIO Update version 1.2.1: 
"Version 1.2.1 3/6/22: Updated cacert.pem to the latest version. This improves compatibility with most websites including Windows Update."
This is a quotation taken from MDL.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

3 hours ago, cc333 said:

OK.  What I'm thinking is maybe I'll just send you the file I made, and from there you can do with it what you will.

That would be great! In the case of publishing I will mention you for html creation, of course. 

3 hours ago, cc333 said:

I have a lot of respect for people doing things manually especially using programming languages like HTML4 and CSS. Once again, my honest respect! Nowadays I am more a batch programmer, more often a person modifying and fixing files, although I did more smaller projects in the past when I was much younger. Especially mathematical ones. But for now, kindest regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

23 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

That would be great! In the case of publishing I will mention you for html creation, of course. 

OK, sounds good!  I mentioned myself in a comment near the top as well, including the date in which I finished most of the work (from my perspective in the US, anyway;  for you, it might be the day before or the day after).

23 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have a lot of respect for people doing things manually especially using programming languages like HTML4 and CSS. Once again, my honest respect!

Thank you!  I was having trouble finding the guide after several dozen new responses were since posted in the thread, pushing the guide back many pages, so I thought I'd separate it so that I can open it wherever.

c

6 minutes ago, LonghornXP said:

I’m use visual studio code

Oh, OK.  I like to keep things simple, so Visual Studio is a bit too heavy for my needs :)

And besides, this is how I learned HTML and CSS (by handwriting code in a text editor).

c

Edited by cc333