On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

17 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Too less information and posting of one sentence comment again! The next one I will ignore! I looked into your log. You had and have a lot of problems relating to your Windows Update client. Do carefully following steps of my guide again: 9, 10 and 11. Steps 14 and 15 only if necessary as described in my guide. And I'm serious, no more one sentence comments with nonsufficient information! "here is the log" is nothing! The next one I will ignore definitely! A complete screenshot of ProxHTTPSProxy's log window while accessing MU only (no other connections to whereever) plus information about your system and what you have done so far, are missing too. 

I think I should use WSUS server instead the site...

Edited by LonghornXP

15 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I am so sorry! Truth to be told I really thought you are female because of your name Mina (read in forum "Introduce Yourself!") meaning "heaven". Once again, I have to apologize to you! :yes: Do not be angry! Appearently I am not a Sherlock Holmes. :buehehe:

It's ok.
And I am not being angry, I just wanted to point it out if you don't mind. I'm a peaceful user nonetheless. :angel

Wow! You are the only one who has found my easter egg! :cheerleader: That means you have really read my guide carefully! Thanks for reporting! 

You're welcome. And yes, I read your guide carefully to ensure no errors are there. I guess you did this easter egg on purpose, or maybe you were writing very quickly and didn't notice. :P
Now that I see you corrected it, I see it became another typo: KB94288-V3 (while it should be KB942288-V3).

Good luck! Hope it will work this time! Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Thanks, I hope the same.

As I wrote in my guide, everything can be done manually. That's how I did it. By doing things manually you have full control of what you do and verifying is much more easier. Here is the changelog to AIO Update version 1.2.1: 
"Version 1.2.1 3/6/22: Updated cacert.pem to the latest version. This improves compatibility with most websites including Windows Update."
This is a quotation taken from MDL.

Just this change? I thought that ProxyHTTPSProxyHII REV3e was included in place of REV3d, and that your fixed cacert_Updater.exe is also included in REV3e in Restore_WU_XP.7z 1.2.1.
The change, which the changelog has mentioned, seems minor to me in my opinion.
Also, I know that doing things manually is easier, since I have full control of what I do.

Edited by mina7601

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

You're welcome. And yes, I read your guide carefully to ensure no errors are there. I guess you did this easter egg on purpose, or maybe you were writing very quickly and didn't notice. :P
Now that I see you corrected it, I see it became another typo: KB94288-V3 (while it should be KB942288-V3).

No new Easter egg from me! Either I've been just a bit too careless while writing and correcting or it is due to a kind of senility! :whistle: Thanks for reporting again! I'll correct that immediately, of course!

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Just this change? I thought that ProxyHTTPSProxyHII REV3e was included in place of REV3d, and that your fixed cacert_Updater.exe is also included in REV3e in Restore_WU_XP.7z 1.2.1.
The change, which the changelog has mentioned, seems minor to me in my opinion.
Also, I know that doing things manually is easier, since I have full control of what I do.

No, the fixed version of cacert Updater can be downloaded from first post in my thread in section Downloads:

The changes are minor indeed and can be done simply by applying cacert Updater Fixed. BTW the AIO package has been created by @Windows7fan from MDL. Therefore maintaining of it isn't my job. And I totally agree, if actions are performed manually, users get full control because one knows what has been done and what has to be performed next. Very important if verifying of each step is necessary. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

No new Easter egg from me! Either I've been just a bit too careless while writing and correcting or it is due to a kind of senility! :whistle: Thanks for reporting again! I'll correct that immediately, of course!

No, the fixed version of cacert Updater can be downloaded from first post in my thread in section Downloads:

The changes are minor indeed and can be done simply by applying cacert Updater Fixed. And I totally agree, if actions are performed manually, users get full control because one knows what has been done and what has to be performed next. Very important if verifying of each step is necessary. :yes:

In your description you have the original download link from ProxhttpsProxy v1.3. But this does not work immediately.
I've provided a version I edited here that works out of the box with WU: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ftq6dnsccuq54p4/ProxHTTPSProxyMII_1.3a.zip/file Cr. of course to @whenever on Tuopf.

If you want, you can replace the link with mine.:)

Edited by maile3241

1 hour ago, maile3241 said:

In your description you have the original download link from ProxhttpsProxy v1.3. But this does not work immediately.
I've provided a version I edited here that works out of the box with WU: https://download.ru/files/d4uaSsgD Cr. of course to @whenever on Tuopf.

If you want, you can replace the link with mine.:)

Thanks, but I will not provide download-links to Russian servers anymore. Sorry, it's very sad but we must make a mark, no matter how small it is! Besides, the changes are minor and can be done by users themselves according to their needs. Generally I try to provide download-links pointing to locations of original sources. But anyway, thanks for your offer! :)

BTW, a modified and updated version of ProxHTTPSProxyMII 1.3a (20150527) for old computers which haven't got a CPU with SSE2 instruction set, will be soon released by me when test phase has been successfully completed. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

38 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks, but I will not provide download-links to Russian servers anymore. Sorry, it's very sad but we must make a mark, no matter how small it is! Besides, the changes are minor and can be done by users themselves according to their needs. Generally I try to provide download-links pointing to locations of original sources. But anyway, thanks for your offer! :)

I can understand it. It's really sad what just happens.:(
But back to the topic. I edited my post and uploaded the file somewhere else. The problem with the original version is that in the config.ini the line "RearPort" says 8080 and not 8081. That's why it didn't work.

1 minute ago, maile3241 said:

I can understand it. It's really sad what just happens.:(
But back to the topic. I edited my post and uploaded the file somewhere else. The problem with the original version is that in the config.ini the line "RearPort" says 8080 and not 8081. That's why it didn't work.

Well done! :thumbup We have to do what we are able to. On my old test computer I have already edited the config.ini to my needs. You know I try to do things my way. But anyway, thanks for the hint! Very nice of you! :yes:

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks for correcting that! The guide looks much clearer now.
I also sometimes make mistakes while writing, so it's not just you.

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The changes are minor indeed and can be done simply by applying cacert Updater Fixed. BTW the AIO package has been created by @Windows7fan from MDL. Therefore maintaining of it isn't my job. And I totally agree, if actions are performed manually, users get full control because one knows what has been done and what has to be performed next. Very important if verifying of each step is necessary. :yes:

I know, I was just saying that I thought the changes of version 1.2.1 of Restore_WU_XP.7z were these:

6 hours ago, mina7601 said:

ProxyHTTPSProxyHII REV3e was included in place of REV3d, and that your fixed cacert_Updater.exe is also included in REV3e in Restore_WU_XP.7z 1.2.1

Nothing else. :)

Also, I understand you.

@AstroSkipper I tried your guide again, but unfortunately I still get error code 0x80072F78 when clicking Custom or Express. And yes, I did follow every step in your guide in the right order. I did not change the order or missed a step.

spacer.png

I have TL2 1.2 enabled, inserted ProxHTTPSProxy's CA.crt to Trusted Root Certificates Authorities, configured Trusted Sites and added the 3 necessary sites (and of course set the security level to High!), wuauend.dll didn't get replaced by SFC, also configured config.ini correctly. And of course PosReady.reg merged before installing PosReady updates, root certificates are updated.

If you want more information than that, don't hesitate to ask. I can provide you more information.

Edited by mina7601

7 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I tried your guide again, but unfortunately I still get error code 0x80072F78 when clicking Custom or Express. And yes, I did follow every step in your guide in the right order. I did not change the order or missed a step.

spacer.png

I have TL2 1.2 enabled, inserted ProxHTTPSProxy's CA.crt to Trusted Root Certificates Authorities, configured Trusted Sites and added the 3 necessary sites (and of course set the security level to High!), wuauend.dll didn't get replaced by SFC, also configured config.ini correctly. And of course PosReady.reg merged before installing PosReady updates, root certificates are updated.

If you want more information than that, don't hesitate to ask. I can provide you more information.

Deactivate the proxy in the internet options and go to this page and send a screenshot: https://clienttest.ssllabs.com:8443/ssltest/viewMyClient.html