On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

7 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

I've put a lot of effort into replacing the wuaueng.dll file and adding the regitry entries. Lo and behold, it works. :cheerleader: It doesn't actually make much sense to get updates in Vista via the website, but I really wanted to try it.:buehehe:

cxojwvh.png

But it probably is faster. Windows Vista and 7 are notorious for having really slow update searching through the Windows Update App. There isn't yet a patch to restore Windows Update on Vista RTM and SP1 other than the WSUS method. SP2 you can install the Server 2008 SHA-2 update and follow @abbodi1406's instructions in the MDL forum.  

11 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

I've put a lot of effort into replacing the wuaueng.dll file and adding the regitry entries. Lo and behold, it works. :cheerleader: It doesn't actually make much sense to get updates in Vista via the website, but I really wanted to try it.:buehehe:

cxojwvh.png

@xpandvistafan That would be the solution for Rtm and Sp1. :thumbup

4 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

With the Windows Update app, it takes at least 5-20 minutes on Windows 7.

Ok, too bad the site doesn't work in Win 7. I have tried everything to fix error 0x80070002. The error also occurs in Vista when Service Pack 2 is installed. Something strange.

1 hour ago, maile3241 said:

@Dave-H I read at Mdl that this update should fix the certificate error: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3072630

Thanks, but that appears to be an update for the Windows MSI Installer.
I'm not sure what that would have to do with Windows Update.
I already have it installed anyway.
:dubbio:

1 hour ago, maile3241 said:

@Dave-H I read at Mdl that this update should fix the certificate error: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3072630

Where did you read in MDL that KB3072630 should fix "the certificate error"? And which certificate error do you mean? The only post I could find mentioning the update KB3072630 is:

Oct 19, 2020

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020

KB3072630 must be installed before Server 2003 or XP x64 uses the patch. In addition, it may be necessary to update Root Certificates.
Now confirm that the patch is very effective.

But it's referring to Server 2003 or XP x64 and KB3072630 is an older update related to MSI Installer of 2015. The last update of the files msi.dll, msiexec.exe and msihnd.dll was in 2019. Therefore I wonder what this old MSI Installer update should do to fix @Dave-H's Windows Update error code 0x80072f8f. :dubbio:

8 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Do you know why the Windows Update website is not working on Vista SP2 and Windows 7? It is strange that it works on SP1 and RTM but not on SP2 and Windows 7.

What is your current error code? Is it 0x80070002?