WinXP Drivers for GTX 9xx and 10xx video cards

Mike100

57 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I see . Gaming without fans ramping up is comfortable , I agree. TITAN X doesn't have 16x and 32x CSAA , as far as I know. How do you live with that ? I still have the original TITAN from 2013 and it has 32x AA, pretty nice for gaming.

None of the Maxwell cards support CSAA, but they do support Multi-Frame Sampled Anti-Aliasing (MFAA) and that helps make up the difference. 16x CSAA, as I've heard it, was equivalent to 4x MSAA but with improved coverage sampling to provide image equality on par with/better than 8x MSAA at a lower performance cost. As I understand it, MFAA effectively doubles the anti-aliasing quality of in-game settings.

3 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

None of the Maxwell cards support CSAA, but they do support Multi-Frame Sampled Anti-Aliasing (MFAA) and that helps make up the difference. 16x CSAA, as I've heard it, was equivalent to 4x MSAA but with improved coverage sampling to provide image equality on par with/better than 8x MSAA at a lower performance cost. As I understand it, MFAA effectively doubles the anti-aliasing quality of in-game settings.

In real life scenario it looks bad to my eyes. I just love CSAA and how it performs. I had to return GTX 1080 to the store since I didn't like the picture quality (overall , not only the absence of CSAA) and I felt scammed by Nvidia , they just removed CSAA for no apparent reason, without notifying. I don't and shan't buy any new Nvidia products if they are going to continue producing GPUs without CSAA and without support for Windows Vista. They've lost a good , loyal customer . I supported them with almost every new release since the early 2000s. And had bought top tier cards . Like 8800 GTX , 9800 GTX ++ , GTX Titan , GTX780Ti , etc . I compared my original GTX Titan with GTX 1080 and and Titans just wins . It's simply more beautiful. Someone here wrote that 1000 series cards are rubbish , I agree. 

1 minute ago, Dixel said:

In real life scenario it looks bad to my eyes. I just love CSAA and how it performs. I had to return GTX 1080 to the store since I didn't like the picture quality (overall , not only the absence of CSAA) and I felt scammed by Nvidia , they just removed CSAA for no apparent reason, without notifying. I don't and shan't buy any new Nvidia products if they are going to continue producing GPUs without CSAA and without support for Windows Vista. They've lost a good , loyal customer . I supported them with almost every new release since the early 2000s. And had bought top tier cards . Like 8800 GTX , 9800 GTX ++ , GTX Titan , GTX780Ti , etc . I compared my original GTX Titan with GTX 1080 and and Titans just wins . It's simply more beautiful. Someone here wrote that 1000 series cards are rubbish , I agree. 

Well, honestly, that just circles back to my initial point: enthusiasts of older OSes like us will want to look into either finding ways to get support for newer hardware or develop it ourselves. AMD doesn't support the XP family or Vista anymore, either, from a quick check on their KB (though I might be wrong).

By the way, the TITAN X I'm using isn't the Pascal (10xx) version, it's the Maxwell (9xx). Specifically, it's the EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Superclocked. I don't know why nVidia chose to use the same name twice.

Well, honestly, that just circles back to my initial point: enthusiasts of older OSes like us will want to look into either finding ways to get support for newer hardware or develop it ourselves. AMD doesn't support the XP family or Vista anymore, either, from a quick check on their KB (though I might be wrong).

By the way, the TITAN X I'm using isn't the Pascal (10xx) version, it's the Maxwell (9xx). Specifically, it's the EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Superclocked. I don't know why nVidia chose to use the same name twice.

1 - Do not build high hopes for those newly developed custom made drivers , I just think it won't happen . Or they will be glitchy as hell . It would be much better to buy something from 700 (or 900 series, if you're okay with the absence of AA) and put it on the shelf for the future use .

2- Yeah , I got you the first time , about your Titan. BTW , I tried Titan Black , and I didn't like it , even though it's from the same series . The chip is different , the picture is not as good as the original. Also , it had troubles with idle mode with any drivers starting from 350.xx. Have you ever tried your Titan with Vista ?

I tried mine with XP , the picture quality is good , chrystal clear and sharp . With windows 7 it's ugly . (Obviously not the Titans, but Windows 7's fault).

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

1 - Do not build high hopes for those newly developed custom made drivers , I just think it won't happen . Or they will be glitchy as hell . It would be much better to buy something from 700 (or 900 series, if you're okay with the absence of AA) and put it on the shelf for the future use .

See, that's the thing though ... nVidia didn't intend the high-end and enthusiast 9xx cards, TITAN X included, to work with the Windows XP family. Or rather said, they're not officially supported. A bit of futzing with the .inf files allows people to use those cards.

So in a way, it's already happened. It's not the same thing as writing entirely new drivers, but perhaps it will come eventually. Especially when considering ReactOS' aim to be a clean room reverse engineering of Windows NT, with XP as the target. I've seen people excited that this might mean any drivers/APIs/general infrastructure written for ReactOS could be backported to XP, or Vista.

And as I said before: as a multimedia designer, the TITAN X has more value to me than just gaming. It's got the muscle to help with audio/visual production, 3D rendering and modelling, and so forth. Certainly not like the latest RTX cards (good luck buying those though) but in terms of what is currently capable of working with XP, it's the absolute top end; whether or not it has CSAA or raytracing is only really important for real-time rendering. Heck, as recent as a year or two ago Linus Tech Tips' video editors were using the CPU I bought for my girl's overhaul, a i7-6950X. So I don't feel too disadvantaged from what the pros are currently using.

I haven't experimented with using the Titan on Vista, admittedly; in fact, I haven't really used Vista ever. Even from a workplace/educational standpoint, it seemed like it was either XP or 7 when it came to what was in use.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, TrevMUN said:

See, that's the thing though ... nVidia didn't intend the high-end and enthusiast 9xx cards, TITAN X included, to work with the Windows XP family. Or rather said, they're not officially supported. A bit of futzing with the .inf files allows people to use those cards.

So in a way, it's already happened. It's not the same thing as writing entirely new drivers, but perhaps it will come eventually. Especially when considering ReactOS' aim to be a clean room reverse engineering of Windows NT, with XP as the target. I've seen people excited that this might mean any drivers/APIs/general infrastructure written for ReactOS could be backported to XP, or Vista.

And as I said before: as a multimedia designer, the TITAN X has more value to me than just gaming. It's got the muscle to help with audio/visual production, 3D rendering and modelling, and so forth. Certainly not like the latest RTX cards (good luck buying those though) but in terms of what is currently capable of working with XP, it's the absolute top end; whether or not it has CSAA or raytracing is only really important for real-time rendering. Heck, as recent as a year or two ago Linus Tech Tips' video editors were using the CPU I bought for my girl's overhaul, a i7-6950X. So I don't feel too disadvantaged from what the pros are currently using.

I haven't experimented with using the Titan on Vista, admittedly; in fact, I haven't really used Vista ever. Even from a workplace/educational standpoint, it seemed like it was either XP or 7 when it came to what was in use.

Excuse me , that's not entirely true . I really didn't like what Nvidia had done to AA , they are being punished by me , so I boycott them . But top tier 900 series do work with XP and officialy supported . I had tried this driver (a long time ago) and it worked without any modding with GTX980. I don't have the card anymore , so I can't provide the screens , sorry. But please check for yourself. 

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics-Driver-34411-for-XP.shtml

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Excuse me , that's not entirely true . I really didn't like what Nvidia had done to AA , they are being punished by me , so I boycott them . But top tier 900 series do work with XP and officialy supported . I had tried this driver (a long time ago) and it worked without any modding with GTX980. I don't have the card anymore , so I can't provide the screens , sorry. But please check for yourself.

Well, I'm not going to download that driver. It's 344.11, and I've got 368.81, which I did have to inf-mod as per Matt's Repository in order to install. His article was written when 359.06 was the current driver.

10 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

Well, I'm not going to download that driver. It's 344.11, and I've got 368.81, which I did have to inf-mod as per Matt's Repository in order to install. His article was written when 359.06 was the current driver.

You said "...nVidia ... didn't intend the high-end and enthusiast 9xx cards ... to work with the Windows XP...".

Nothing personal , but this may be misleading for people , esp. with limited skills in modding . 

I'm saying: top cards from GTX 900 series do work without modding > out of the box < if using this driver 344.11.

Here is the proof, a small section from .inf file:

NVIDIA_DEV.100C = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black"

NVIDIA_DEV.1005 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN"

NVIDIA_DEV.13C2 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970"

NVIDIA_DEV.13C0 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980"

And here they are : the official drivers for 32 and 64 bit Vista and XP from a reputable source.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-344-11-whql-driver-download.html

I had discovered these rare drivers quite a long time ago and have had enough time to test them.

Despite the common belief, these drivers do work as intended with 900 series . And are problem free, in my opinion.

Much faster and more reliable than the latest XP drivers , @UCyborg pointed that out too. 

So I think it may be a good idea to add "and 900 series" to the name of this topic , for those who are looking for them.

Or just create a new one . That's up for our dear moderators to decide. @Dave-H , maybe it needs your attention.

P.S.

They do not work with cheap/low end 900 series cards.

3 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Yeah , thanks , but those are international (much larger file-size with unneeded languages) . Though I somewhat like them since they have proper English spelling ,

like display colour , etc . In any case, let them be here.

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

You said "...nVidia ... didn't intend the high-end and enthusiast 9xx cards ... to work with the Windows XP...".

Nothing personal , but this may be misleading for people , esp. with limited skills in modding . 

I'm saying: top cards from GTX 900 series do work without modding > out of the box < if using this driver 344.11.

Except that the example you gave does not list the GTX 980 TI or GTX Titan X in the .inf.

The 980 Ti is an enthusiast-grade card not to be confused with the GTX 980. Note that in Matt's Repository, the device IDs for the cards which have to have support modded into the .inf are listed as follows:

NVIDIA_DEV.17C8 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti"
NVIDIA_DEV.17C2 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X"
NVIDIA_DEV.17F0 = "NVIDIA Quadro M6000"

I'll admit that your driver does list the 970 and 980, but the 980 Ti, TITAN X, and Quadro are not among the list you provided. (Quadro is of course a different line from the 9xx series, but the M6000 is noted to be a near-cousin of the TITAN X and based on the Maxwell architecutre.)

Also, you provided the device IDs for the TITAN Black and the original TITAN, which as I understand it are 7xx cards that are part of the Kepler architecture.

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

Despite the common belief, these drivers do work as intended with 900 series . And are problem free, in my opinion.

P.S.

They do not work with cheap/low end 900 series cards.

What do you mean, specifically, by "cheap/low end 900 series cards?" Shouldn't the drivers work with any 9xx card, if they are problem free as you say?

By the way, why does @D.Draker upvote and/or like every single one of your posts? I'm curious.

Oh, also: It looks like this might be the same driver @ragnargd called attention to in his pinned thread from April last year. However, as he notes there: "only exactly ONE driver supports GTX 970 and GTX 980. Other GTX 9x0 / Titans were mentioned in later drivers, but were not in the inf files."

Edited by TrevMUN

Except that ...

1 - Whoa , whoa , that's not "my" driver. I'm not the manufacturer/developer.

2 - Yes , Titan Kepler is included in that driver too , of course (obviously).

3 - I'm giving this information for all visitors of this website . If you are not interested in this driver , just ignore .

4 - Low end cards means exactly what it says , we were talking about high end cards only , weren't we ?

5 - Problem free means no glitches , no crashes , no BSOD , you may wanna scroll back and read the posts by UCyborg .

6 - By whose definition GTX980 is not an enthusiast card ? lol

"GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980 taking the enthusiast market by storm."

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-gtx-980-gaming/

"NVIDIA Unleashes Desktop GeForce GTX 980 GPU into Enthusiast Notebooks"

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7359/nvidia-unleashes-desktop-geforce-gtx-980-gpu-enthusiast-notebooks/index.html

I've lost my interest in talking to you , you seem quite unfriendly/hostile.

5 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Low end cards means exactly what it says , we were talking about high end cards only , weren't we ?

I wanted to know what metric you were using. You could have meant cards manufactured by companies with a reputation for poor quality, for instance. If you meant "low end" as in cards of the 9xx line which aren't considered "high-end" or "enthusiast," though, doesn't that counteract saying the driver will work problem free with the 900 series?

9 minutes ago, Dixel said:

By whose definition GTX980 is not an enthusiast card ? lol

Check Wikipedia's article on the 900 series. There, the GTX 950 and 960 are listed as "mid-range," GTX 970 and 980 as "high-end," and GTX 980 Ti and TITAN X as "enthusiast." That's where I've been getting my metrics.

8 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I've lost my interest in talking to you , you seem quite unfriendly/hostile.

Really? I thought I was being rather civil here. Are you sure you're not reading hostility into my words?

1 hour ago, TrevMUN said:

Except that the example you gave does not list the GTX 980 TI or GTX Titan X in the .inf.

The 980 Ti is an enthusiast-grade card not to be confused with the GTX 980. Note that in Matt's Repository, the device IDs for the cards which have to have support modded into the .inf are listed as follows:

NVIDIA_DEV.17C8 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti"
NVIDIA_DEV.17C2 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X"
NVIDIA_DEV.17F0 = "NVIDIA Quadro M6000"

I'll admit that your driver does list the 970 and 980, but the 980 Ti, TITAN X, and Quadro are not among the list you provided. (Quadro is of course a different line from the 9xx series, but the M6000 is noted to be a near-cousin of the TITAN X and based on the Maxwell architecutre.)

Also, you provided the device IDs for the TITAN Black and the original TITAN, which as I understand it are 7xx cards that are part of the Kepler architecture.

What do you mean, specifically, by "cheap/low end 900 series cards?" Shouldn't the drivers work with any 9xx card, if they are problem free as you say?

By the way, why does @D.Draker upvote and/or like every single one of your posts? I'm curious.

Oh, also: It looks like this might be the same driver @ragnargd called attention to in his pinned thread from April last year. However, as he notes there: "only exactly ONE driver supports GTX 970 and GTX 980. Other GTX 9x0 / Titans were mentioned in later drivers, but were not in the inf files."

The 980 TI, Titan, Quadro, and lower end cards are newer than the driver, so there's no way it could support them without driver modification