My Browser Builds (Part 1)

Excellent! Add the Netscape 4-like theme and it'll fit right in!

Is it faster and less clunky than modern Firefox on 2000? FF on 2k works okay for me, but it's slow and somewhat quirky (for example, bookmarking doesn't work). On the other hand, I've found recent versions of FF to be slow and somewhat quirky on modern, supposedly supported platforms as well, so maybe it doesn't matter anymore?

c

19 hours ago, rn10950 said:

I can now verify that New Moon works on Windows 2000 with BlackWingCat's extended kernel.

Can you try New Moon on Windows 2000 or 2000 SP4 minus BWC Extended Kernel?

What computer system was this installed on?

21 hours ago, cc333 said:

Is it faster and less clunky than modern Firefox on 2000? FF on 2k works okay for me, but it's slow and somewhat quirky (for example, bookmarking doesn't work). On the other hand, I've found recent versions of FF to be slow and somewhat quirky on modern, supposedly supported platforms as well, so maybe it doesn't matter anymore?

c

Not sure, didn't really test it that much as SeaMonkey is my default browser on that machine. However, on my high-powered XP machine, I did notice an improvement over Fx52 ESR. (This machine has 2x octa-core Xeons and 16 GB of RAM) I don't know if this benefit will be noticeable on more modest machines.

19 hours ago, 98SE said:

Can you try New Moon on Windows 2000 or 2000 SP4 minus BWC Extended Kernel?

What computer system was this installed on?

I don't have easy access to a vanilla 2k installation at the moment, but I assume that it wouldn't work. Pale Moon was forked from Gecko 38, which was a lot newer than native 2000 support. (The drop in support was due to a change in MSVC versions used to compile it) The BWC kernel adds a lot of functions and newer MSVC support.

This 2000 installation was running on a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 1GB of RAM. It is an upgraded Dell Dimension system, however I do not remember which one.

53 minutes ago, Zollex said:

I can't view facebook video. (I installed flash). Why?

Hi - Facebook has phased out the use of the Adobe Flash NPAPI plugin months ago; to view FB vids you need a HTML5/MSE capable browser; please refer to post #1 of this thread and review the section "Q: Can't play H264 clips?" Please also make sure that you have enabled "MSE" and "MSE for MP4 video" inside New Moon's Options/Content/Video...

1 hour ago, Zollex said:

How can I change language?

Default language for New Moon 27.6.0a1 is en-US; head over to localization releases, you should pick your corresponding language pack (it?) from the latest release 27.6.0_RC2; just click "it.xpi" and allow the installation to take place; then open

about:config?filter=useragent.locale

in a tab and modify the value from "en-US" to "it"; finally, restart NM and once it loads the GUI should be in Italian!

@roytam1
I've been meaning to get to building this on my own, so let me ask you this, to avoid reinventing the wheel: was it easy enough to get the builds working with the instructions on Pale Moon's site or did you have to jump through any hoops before everything clicked? It's been a while since I've built something as complex as a Mozilla-based browser, and I seem to recall people talking about having no small amount of trouble with such beasts (especially with Windows builds).

6 hours ago, mixit said:

@roytam1
I've been meaning to get to building this on my own, so let me ask you this, to avoid reinventing the wheel: was it easy enough to get the builds working with the instructions on Pale Moon's site or did you have to jump through any hoops before everything clicked? It's been a while since I've built something as complex as a Mozilla-based browser, and I seem to recall people talking about having no small amount of trouble with such beasts (especially with Windows builds).

You can follow this guide and most probably will work without troubles.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13556

@roytam1 Do you feel confident enough to move portability to the main executable instead of a launcher?

Basically, you need to check any of following conditions on start to set profile to current directory:

1. File name of executable ends with "-portable" (or something like this)
  2. There is a file "palemoon.ini" (or something like this) in the same directory as executable, with relative profile path. Or just an empty file.

Each one has its strong sides in different situations.

Now, the main reason for doing this is - while all simple (non-virtualizing) launchers work relatively fine in common case like "start-use-exit", they do not provide any reliable means for keeping the run arguments (keys, switches) between restarts, which can potentially lead to many problems, but the most important one in this context would be the loss of initial profile path, provided by "-profile" argument.

Most commonly encountered cases:

• A simple restart after installing/updating addons or changing important settings.
  • A crash, with potential subsequent (auto)restart by crash dumper.
  • An external call by another program, which can result (or not) in a mess with another running instance.

What do you think of this?