Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

roytam1

My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon fork targetting XP

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-fork-targetting-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1170340

@VistaLover <--

My suggestion, is that you should UPDATE your URL (above) with this added information:

(1) media.gmp-provider.enabled;true (boolean)
Place this in the LIST that you already have it there.

(2) Include the ('sdfox7') Archive Download URLs for 'Adobe PrimeTime CDM' Plugin:
(a) http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip
(b) https://web.archive.org/web/20170718145441/http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip

That way, EVERYTHING needed to install your INSTAGRAM Video Tweak (SeaMonkey 2.49.5 Browser)
would be there in your one single message. So, a suggestion, do as YOU choose. :)

And your solution (listed above) did successfully FIX it so that 'Adobe Primetime CDM' Plugin DOES now LIST for me under ADD-ONs (Plugins) for SM 2.49.5 Browser. I did set to OFF for the AutoUpdate of it. Hopefully, you ('VL') did NOT 'use up' a great deal of your time with 'scoping out' this INSTAGRAM Video Tweak. Anyway, count me as IMPRESSED, and THANKS again! :thumbup

Edited by TechnoRelic

5 hours ago, TechnoRelic said:

The situation is that the (BK55) ST55 Browser has a 'higher quality' JAVASCRIPT engine in it. So, as in the '55' number is greater than the '52' number. Having said that, RT only updates RARELY the ST55 Browser. The RT 'bread and butter' Browsers are NM28 and ST52 Browsers. Because they work well enough with a LOT of 'Older Age' CPUs that inhabit certain 'Older Age' Computer Hardware. RT has decided that the ST55 Browser is NOT so much a priority for him. Even though a LOT of USERS of RT's Browsers, have stated that ST55 works BETTER for them than ST52 does (myself included). But this situation on ST55 vs ST52, is RT's decision. And I just figure that RT is doing what HE thinks is BEST with his limited TIME and EFFORT. Maybe this makes the situation somewhat more clear -- maybe not.  :)

The situation with Serpent 55 and 52 resembles the situation with SeaMonkey and BNav. Of each pair, the former browsers are generally better, but are no longer actively maintained by their original creators.

With Serpent 55 (and a few other browsers in the same situation, such as FF 45 ESR), @roytam1 does what he can, importing fixes from ArcticFox and other sources to keep them as up-to-date as practical. But there are no weekly updates coming from "upstream;" that's why updates to these browsers occur irregularly.

I too happen to prefer Serpent 55; for me the main difference is slightly better support of WebExtension-style add-ons, particularly the Multi-Account Containers add-on. I don't mind getting less frequent updates in exchange.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Well, don't feel too bad; @mixit didn't mention that pref in the Primetime thread either.

Well, just for completeness, I've just added it to @mixit's 1st post in the Primetime thread, so as to keep things as together as possible. :)

• Like 3

On 9/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, TechnoRelic said:

My suggestion, is that you should UPDATE your URL (above) with this added information:

(1) media.gmp-provider.enabled;true (boolean)
Place this in the LIST that you already have it there.

... But I did say:

On 9/13/2019 at 2:49 AM, VistaLover said:

this is the reason the mentioned pref was pre-existing (and overlooked :angry: ) when I started my Adobe Primetime CDM experiments in SM! The original instructions will be soon edited to remedy this omission...

... and I did keep my promise more than 24h ago ;)

On 9/12/2019 at 5:03 AM, VistaLover said:

b. Create/modify accordingly the following prefs:

media.gmp-provider.enabled;true (boolean)
browser.eme.ui.enabled;true (boolean)

You just hadn't revisited my edited post prior to posting... :} <_<

On 9/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, TechnoRelic said:

(2) Include the ('sdfox7') Archive Download URLs for 'Adobe PrimeTime CDM' Plugin:

... I opted for the original Adobe link:

On 9/12/2019 at 5:03 AM, VistaLover said:

a. [ LATER EDIT: I was kindly asked to provide here a download link for the AP CDM files; links for those do exist in the "Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash" pinned thread, so it isn't like it's hard to find them; however, I have opted to provide the original official link, straight from Adobe's servers:

https://cdmdownload.adobe.com/firefox/win/x86/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip

The link is still live, just tested mere minutes ago - if you're wondering how I got there (because, tried as I might with web searches, I wasn't able to find it), it's by loading the following URI:

https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/51.0.1/20170125094131/WINNT_x86-msvc-x86/en-US/release/Windows_NT%206.0.2.0%20(x86)/default/default/update.xml

... which is the URI queried by the internal gmp-manager of stable Firefox 51.0.1 32-bit under Vista SP2! ]

Hope everyone's content now... :whistle:

Edited by VistaLover
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 7:16 PM, VistaLover said:

Hope everyone's content now... :whistle:

I am "content" now ... :) ... (Next is Intended as humor) ... And let me add that -->
No GOOD DEED goes UNPUNISHED (or with no criticism) ... ;)
Seriously, THANKS again for your SM 2.49.5 Browser INSTAGRAM Video TWEAK (WinXP OS).
I am certain that you have now helped MANY WinXP OS users who will NOT ever say 'thanks' to you.

Edited by TechnoRelic
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2019 at 11:00 PM, dencorso said:

Well, just for completeness, I've just added it to @mixit's 1st post in the Primetime thread, so as to keep things as together as possible. :)

Thanks! You totally imitated my style, too, so if !'d missed your note, I might have wondered a while about when on earth did I add that line :D.

FWIW, there could be more stuff like that for branched browsers, my focus was always on mainline Firefox.

Edited by mixit
typo
  • Like 2

OT: it seems that my new rig win7's status is somewhat bearable for daily use, may swap-in in next week.

• Like 4

Hey @roytam1, do you think you might be able to give me an example .mozconfig to do a no SSE2 build of Arctic Fox on Linux? I’m having trouble finding a list of compiler options I should be using to get a desired result. 

2 hours ago, sparty411 said:

Hey @roytam1, do you think you might be able to give me an example .mozconfig to do a no SSE2 build of Arctic Fox on Linux? I’m having trouble finding a list of compiler options I should be using to get a desired result. 

I think default config will just work? I don't build linux builds but I can give you my win32 .mozconfig for reference:

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j6"

ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --enable-devtools
ac_add_options  --disable-debug
ac_add_options  --enable-strip
ac_add_options --disable-skia
ac_add_options --disable-maintenance-service
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-mochitests
ac_add_options --disable-replace-malloc

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, roytam1 said:

OT: it seems that my new rig win7's status is somewhat bearable for daily use, may swap-in in next week.

OT: finally swapped in new rig into my main workstation chassis yesterday after work, took ~5 hours to final adjust for my daily use. (Although my main workstation changed to win7, I still have a low-powered download station and a DELL D630 notebook running XP)

BTW old games like Red Alert 2 and SimCity 3000 are not test yet, hope they will still run.

EDIT: copied my repos to SSD, so I need as least 128GiB SSD scratch disk for them later.

boSswRS.png

Edited by roytam1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I think default config will just work? I don't build linux builds but I can give you my win32 .mozconfig for reference:

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j6"

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --enable-devtools
ac_add_options  --disable-debug
ac_add_options  --enable-strip
ac_add_options --disable-skia
ac_add_options --disable-maintenance-service
ac_add_options --disable-mochitests
ac_add_options --disable-replace-malloc

I don’t need to specify -mno-sse2?

5 hours ago, sparty411 said:

I don’t need to specify -mno-sse2?

for Arctic Fox it should be unneeded, but you can still add it.

I did

22 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j8"
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --enable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -march=pentium3 -mtune=pentium3 -msse -mno-sse2"

And it crashes every time it tries to make an HTTPS connection. Riccardo Mottolla told me he tried a no SSE2 build, and it does the same exact thing. It works just fine on AMD64 Linux though.

12 hours ago, roytam1 said:

BTW old games like Red Alert 2 and SimCity 3000 are not test yet, hope they will still run.

OFFT: Depends on the distribution of the game, the retail versions of the games have the SafeDisc DRM (RA2 and SC3K Unlimited Edition >>for reference original version has SecuROM DRM<<), which isn't supported by 7 with KB3086255 update installed, so you have to either free the DRM by temporarily enabling the secdrv service (i recommend not doing it since you would reopen the vulnerability) or by certain yarr-harr methods.

I recommend consulting PCGamingWiki for those games for any patches/fixes for modern versions of windows: 

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer:_Red_Alert_2

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/SimCity_3000

Edited by IntMD
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sparty411 said:

I did

And it crashes every time it tries to make an HTTPS connection. Riccardo Mottolla told me he tried a no SSE2 build, and it does the same exact thing. It works just fine on AMD64 Linux though.

because AMD64 implies SSE2. (i.e. you can't find an AMD64 processor without SSE2)

I think you may need to have a look in NSS's config to see if there is any SSE2 specified.

Edited by roytam1