Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

roytam1

My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon fork targetting XP

7 hours ago, sparty411 said:

This is probably a stupid question, but which browser should I be using for my day to day? Is BOC a replacement for New Moon?

Really it's mostly a matter of taste. The main difference is the UI: BOC looks very much like SeaMonkey; Serpent looks very much like (pre-Photon) Firefox; NM 28 looks like older (pre-Australis) Firefox. They're all based on UXP though.

If you have an older, pre-SSE2 PC, you may want to look at @roytam1's Firefox 45 or NM 27 builds instead.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2019 at 12:07 AM, i430VX said:

As typical my installer will install the latest of roy's builds, and I would like to add that I'm about half done with another version of the installer with some features people have requested. Stay tuned!

This may help. I finally buckled down and updated my browser downloader .bat to handle Roytam's FF 45 ESR SSE-only builds. It turned out to be quite a challenge: the file list can't be downloaded the same way as the others (downloading the root directory containing the files only returns a bunch of JavaScript, no file names); the "correct" file list URL had to be parsed differently; and last but not least, there was an issue with version numbers:

On 6/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, Mathwiz said:

One problem was that I couldn't just download the last file name in the listing any more, because that would be firefox-45.9.9 while the latest is firefox-45.9.16 or so. (The file names are sorted alphabetically, so "9" follows "16.") I realized I might soon have the same problem with palemoon-28 if it gets up to 28.10, so I wrote some new batch code to parse out the file date and download the latest file by date. That should future-proof this.

Also added a feature: if a "myuseragents.js" file is in the same directory as the batch file, it will offer to install it after downloading & extracting the browser (except mailnews, of course). Tried to make it modular so I can add more "installations" of this type later. (Even this was a little tricky because K-Meleon uses a different path for .js startup files of this type than the other browsers.)

Edit: Minor fix to above changes to get the latest K-Meleon build by date.

Download Latest Browser.bat 4.4 kB · 0 downloads

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

downloading the root directory containing the files only returns a bunch of JavaScript, no file names

the /gpc/ directory is the remnants of old good Google Page Creator, only minimal adaption of php code was written when Google Page Creator shut down and moved to my host. for the file list, you may access index.php?sitemap for that.

• Like 1

roytam1 said:

the /gpc/ directory is the remnants of old good Google Page Creator, only minimal adaption of php code was written when Google Page Creator shut down and moved to my host. for the file list, you may access index.php?sitemap for that

Ah! Thanks, great not needing to open the JS+XHR doors anymore to see the file list :-)

Mathwiz said:

Also added a feature: if a "myuseragents.js" file is in the same directory as the batch file, it will offer to install it after downloading & extracting the browser (except mailnews, of course). Tried to make it modular so I can add more "installations" of this type later. (Even this was a little tricky because K-Meleon uses a different path for .js startup files of this type than the other browsers.)

Good idea. What still keeps me riddling is that ancient defaults-pref path used in the non-KM browsers, why only KM uses Mozillas newer defaults path. And suspect this mystery (to me) is probably related to the other one, that you can't overwrite the useragents hardcoded in omni.ja by a simple defaults js-file. Also have once read that both paths can work simultaneously, depending from some settings (perhaps in mozilla.cfg, can't remember). Anyway, for the time being would suggest to not make that path product dependant, just have the script look if the file exists inside the newer path, and if not found, look it up inside the ancient one?

Posted (edited)

After using both Firefox 45 ESR SSE and New Moon 27 SSE, I have to report something that affects both browsers, although New Moon 27 is affected in a minor way.

Basically, if you scroll a webpage up and down, even without hardware acceleration and regardless of the platform, the scrolling begins to stutter, and in some cases even badly. I have done some tests both on my overclocked Tualatin and on an Athlon 64 X2 machine with a Geforce GT430, a machine fast enough to run Chrome and Internet Explorer without issue, but the same issue happens on New Moon 27 and Firefox 45 ESR SSE. It's not caused by the UOC Patch, because it happens regardless of the patch or the extensions installed in the browser.

I hope @roytam1 can fix this issue, or at least mitigate it. On NM27 SSE the stutter is very minimum but is there, but on FF45 ESR SSE it's much more noticeable. Changing the framerate doesn't make things better either.

Edited by looking4awayout

1 hour ago, looking4awayout said:

After using both Firefox 45 ESR SSE and New Moon 27 SSE, I have to report something that affects both browsers, although New Moon 27 is affected in a minor way.

Basically, if you scroll a webpage up and down, even without hardware acceleration and regardless of the platform, the scrolling begins to stutter, and in some cases even badly. I have done some tests both on my overclocked Tualatin and on an Athlon 64 X2 machine with a Geforce GT430, a machine fast enough to run Chrome and Internet Explorer without issue, but the same issue happens on New Moon 27 and Firefox 45 ESR SSE. It's not caused by the UOC Patch, because it happens regardless of the patch or the extensions installed in the browser.

I hope @roytam1 can fix this issue, or at least mitigate it. On NM27 SSE the stutter is very minimum but is there, but on FF45 ESR SSE it's much more noticeable. Changing the framerate doesn't make things better either.

you may just turn off smooth scrolling (I always turn it off even I have better rig)

@roytam1 Smooth scrolling is already disabled.

@Mathwiz It happens both with a single tab and with more tabs. There's no additional slowdown with more tabs, but this stuttering during scrolling is less noticeable on New Moon, rather than on Firefox. It also happens when hardware acceleration is disabled. I don't think it's a dated architecture issue, because it also happens on my Athlon 64 at work, which handles Quantum just fine, although I prefer to use 45 ESR SSE as a testbed for the UOC Patch on more modern systems.

OK. Reason I asked is that I often notice trouble scrolling in Serpent when multiple tabs are opened. Multiprocess mode (not possible in NM anyhow) helps but doesn't eliminate the issue completely.

This sounds like something different though, since it occurs even with only one tab open.

Posted (edited)

I think it might be something in the rendering engine of the browser. I've rolled back to an old version of Firefox 45 ESR SSE and New Moon SSE and the issue is still there, but less than before, but annoying enough. However, as stated previously, the stutter is less on New Moon than on Firefox. Happens even at stock settings, with a fresh profile and no extensions/Patch. If that thing gets sorted out, those browsers would run even better than they already do. No wonder I use them to browser the web on my oldtimer! :)

Edited by looking4awayout

looking4awayout said:

Basically, if you scroll a webpage up and down, even without hardware acceleration and regardless of the platform, the scrolling begins to stutter, and in some cases even badly.

No idea if it's reset again, but on page 147 you reported that frame rate 60 fixed it on your machine:
layout.frame_rate = 60 (old default / new=30 / auto= -1)
Perhaps it's not 60 anymore?
The other pref mentioned around that issue was:
layout.interruptible-reflow.enabled = true/false

Such stuff can differ on different machines and different browser versions.
It would be useful to write comments in the UOC file, with little explanations, like the ghacks author does.

In my private default pref files I even add comments that are visible on about:config itself :-)
pref("layout.frame_rate__INFO", "INFO: -1=auto, default old 60, new 30 but choppy SCROLLING for FF45esr XP msfn 20190516");

Posted (edited)

I have a problem!

I just installed FireFox 45 SSE, and the browsing history and bookmarking mechanisms are broken (the Library window is empty and none of the buttons work).

It seems to work normally with a default, empty profile and a profile with my bookmarks added. The trouble seems to begin when I begin installing addons. I'm not sure what's causing it, but these are the addons I'm using:

• Classic Theme Restorer
  • AdBlocker Ultimate
  • Privacy Badger
  • Ghostery
  • Downloads Window

I doubt they would be causing the problem, as I use them all the time without any problems, including with FF45SSE, but maybe there's a version conflict? But then, if that were so, then why did they all install properly?

Thanks!

EDIT: This is on a fully updated Windows XP x64 install.

c

Edited by cc333

Posted (edited)

cc333 said:

I just installed FireFox 45 SSE, and the browsing history and bookmarking mechanisms are broken (the Library window is empty and none of the buttons work).

It seems to work normally with a default, empty profile and a profile with my bookmarks added. The trouble seems to begin when I begin installing addons. I'm not sure what's causing it, but these are the addons I'm using:

* Classic Theme Restorer
* AdBlocker Ultimate
* Privacy Badger
* Ghostery
* Downloads Window

I doubt they would be causing the problem, as I use them all the time without any problems, including with FF45SSE, but maybe there's a version conflict? But then, if that were so, then why did they all install properly?

This is on a fully updated Windows XP x64 install.

If an addon "installs" properly or not, that doesn't mean much, whether that addon really "works" or not.
It merely means that the min-max version numbers which the addon author wrote manually inside the install.rdf file, are matching your current browser version. It does *not* mean the browser were automatically executing any feature compatibility tests before allowing installation.
For trying Firefox addons in the earlier KM7x versions we had to manually edit and fake those numbers all the time, to allow installation, and then just look and see if it works or not, or partly.

Since you realized already that an addon is causing your prob, disable half of them, restart and check again.
If your bookmarks and history are blocked, that could point to a privacy related addon...
It can also happen that two addons are just conflicting with each other.
And, although forbidden by Mozilla, it happened in the past that an addon author (Maono, of NoScript) intentionally manipulated another addon somehow (ABP, from W.Palant), so that his own stuff wouldn't be blocked.
It's probably rather easy for addons to manipulate other addons intentionally. Edited by siria
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cc333 said:

I just installed FireFox 45 SSE, and the browsing history and bookmarking mechanisms are broken
(snipped)
as I use them all the time without any problems, including with FF45SSE

???????

(Help us to help you :P ; to pinpoint the culprit extension(s), apply binary search or install them one-by-one, until you discover the infringing one)

Edited by VistaLover