Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

roytam1

My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon fork targetting XP

On 4/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, VistaLover said:

Only download-solution for now: Maxthon 3. it has built-in downloader which is stuck just above the videowindow.

Cheers VistaLover. I would not recommend using Maxthon in XP at all. First, it doesn't seem to allow running most DRM sites (netflix, etc). Second, it is not stable/usable on XP in portable mode.  Third, and most importantly: DO NOT INSTALL IT! It messes with the firewall directly, and somehow manages to bypass programs controlling access to security settings in a non-transparent way.

I have not tested it fully, but the add on "Flash and Videos 1.0.9.4" works fine on roytam1's serpent fork.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:44 AM, Matt A. Tobin said:

The fact that you think I need a disclaimer is ridiculous seeing as Mozilla doesn't need a disclaimer about us. They simply tell everyone that they aren't the makers of it and that they should p*** off

Please do the same, in your forum, and stop useless rants and FUD in this one. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

:o Discrimination against Romulans? Must be a TNG fan. :P
(TNG being the place where the Romulans become the evil, devious, dishonorable bad guys because someone decided to promote the Klingons to "honorable allies." Role reversal! Character assassination! The horror! :no:)

To be fair, in the last two seasons of DS9*, the Romulans finally do make peace with everyone else and unite to fight the Dominion; Everyone gets along pretty well, though the new relationship is rather tense at first due to a strong sense of mutual distrust.

(*I'm a pretty big fan of the whole franchise, except the reboot movies (too much modern bling and shallow, cliche-ridden characters for my liking)).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand (such as it is):

Why does Matt Tobin feel the need to troll everyone (particularly roytam1) so badly? It's just plain mean-spirited and unfair.

If he could just stick to one opinion and let everyone do their thing, it would be OK. I *guess* I can kinda sorta see his point, but I really think he should lighten up and just let it go. All he's doing right now is building animosity and resentment, and there's already *way* too much of that going around these days....

I realize this would be absolutely nontrivial, but what about forking the main Firefox source from the same point as Pale Moon (which I think was somewhere around 27.x.x), or perhaps something newer for better feature support, and backport the necessary security patches and stuff? Kinda like a clean room re-implementation of Pale Moon, if you will.

It would certainly take a long time to accomplish, but it would get Matt off your backs by rendering the branding issue completely moot, wouldn't it?

It's just a thought....

c

Edited by cc333

2 hours ago, cc333 said:

To be fair, in the last two seasons of DS9*, the Romulans finally do make peace with everyone else and unite to fight the Dominion; Everyone gets along pretty well, though the new relationship is rather tense at first due to a strong sense of mutual distrust.

(*I'm a pretty big fan of the whole franchise, except the reboot movies (too much modern bling and shallow, cliche-ridden characters for my liking)).

IIRC that alliance was born out of an act of subterfuge committed by the Federation. And they say we're the dishonorable ones... :whistle:

Just venting one of my pet peeves about the various "24th-century" incarnations of Trek. The Klingons went from being a ruthless, opportunistic enemy in TOS (where they were party to several "dishonorable" acts including planting spies in the Federation) to being the "honorable warrior culture" ally. If anything, the Romulans in TOS, despite being enemies, were portrayed as being much more "honorable" and "duty oriented" and AFAICR never resorted to espionage or sabotage. In TNG and later, their personality mirrors that of the TOS Klingons.

Anyway, moving on, I'm a fan of most of it myself, although TOS and ENT are far superior to the others IMO. Agreed the "reboot" movies are garbage. :angel

3 hours ago, cc333 said:

Why does Matt Tobin feel the need to troll everyone (particularly roytam1) so badly? It's just plain mean-spirited and unfair.

If he could just stick to one opinion and let everyone do their thing, it would be OK. I *guess* I can kinda sorta see his point, but I really think he should lighten up and just let it go. All he's doing right now is building animosity and resentment, and there's already *way* too much of that going around these days....

I realize this would be absolutely nontrivial, but what about forking the main Firefox source from the same point as Pale Moon (which I think was somewhere around 27.x.x), or perhaps something newer for better feature support, and backport the necessary security patches and stuff? Kinda like a clean room re-implementation of Pale Moon, if you will.

It would certainly take a long time to accomplish, but it would get Matt off your backs by rendering the branding issue completely moot, wouldn't it?

It's just a thought....

c

Let's hope the situation has resolved itself for better or worse, and move on.

To address the rest of your point, it's not nearly as simple as you're thinking. Current Pale Moon 28 is forked from Firefox 52 ESR, not nearly that far back. Recreating Pale Moon would be a very long deviation from the purpose of roy's projects and be pointless, as Pale Moon is open source just as Firefox is.

Tobin seems to be more concerned about his own "Binary Outcast" projects more so than Pale Moon. But same situation here - they're built on open source code, so overall the same rules apply to them as do to Firefox or SeaMonkey and anything else descended from Mozilla.

1 hour ago, LoneCrusader said:

IIRC that alliance was born out of an act of subterfuge committed by the Federation. And they say we're the dishonorable ones... :whistle:

Just venting one of my pet peeves about the various "24th-century" incarnations of Trek. The Klingons went from being a ruthless, opportunistic enemy in TOS (where they were party to several "dishonorable" acts including planting spies in the Federation) to being the "honorable warrior culture" ally. If anything, the Romulans in TOS, despite being enemies, were portrayed as being much more "honorable" and "duty oriented" and AFAICR never resorted to espionage or sabotage. In TNG and later, their personality mirrors that of the TOS Klingons.

Anyway, moving on, I'm a fan of most of it myself, although TOS and ENT are far superior to the others IMO. Agreed the "reboot" movies are garbage. :angel

Fair point. The official canon does seem to have some interesting inconsistencies. Some of them (such as the almost complete role reversal between the Klingons and Romulans) are pretty obvious. If you look at the events of ST VI, however, you can see that the Klingons, desperately trying to survive after a moon blows up and severely damages their home world, sign a peace treaty with the Federation, realizing that they can't survive without their help, and thereby setting the stage for Klingons as we see them in TNG, which took place maybe 60-80 years after the treaty was signed.

As for the Romulans, I'm not sure. If you think about it, their behavior isn't *too* different, but perhaps they were purposely developed that way to provide a new villain after the Klingons became allies, and since there was only one TOS episode in which they were directly involved, maybe the TNG writers (particularly after season 1) thought they were free to be more creative with them?

I don't know.... :)

I like every series except ENT, because I'm not terribly fond of all the acting (particularly the Vulcan woman, whatever her name is). I don't know about Discovery (the newest one), because CBS is only broadcasting it on their streaming service, which I don't subscribe to, so I can't watch it (maybe they'll put it into syndication on their main TV network someday?)

2 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Let's hope the situation has resolved itself for better or worse, and move on.

To address the rest of your point, it's not nearly as simple as you're thinking. Current Pale Moon 28 is forked from Firefox 52 ESR, not nearly that far back. Recreating Pale Moon would be a very long deviation from the purpose of roy's projects and be pointless, as Pale Moon is open source just as Firefox is.

Tobin seems to be more concerned about his own "Binary Outcast" projects more so than Pale Moon. But same situation here - they're built on open source code, so overall the same rules apply to them as do to Firefox or SeaMonkey and anything else descended from Mozilla.

Hmm, I didn't realize it was based on such a recent version! I guess they basically took the rendering engine and such and grafted the pre-28 UI onto it? That's very interesting!

I suppose it would be pointless, but as you said, Pale Moon (and all other related projects, presumably) are open source, and anyone is free to do exactly what roytam1 has done. At least legally.

But, at what point does New Moon become different enough that it would warrant changing things internally such that it has it's own separate profile folder? and would it really break things to simply change that path?

I'm not the most adept at programming (yet!), so please pardon my ignorance here!

c

New build of Serpent/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
Win32 https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.1.win32-git-20190504-d9d9d1ed8-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rths.cf/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.1.win64-git-20190504-d9d9d1ed8-xpmod.7z

source code that is comparable to my current working tree is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commits/custom

NM28XP build:
Win32 https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-28.6.0a1.win32-git-20190504-d9d9d1ed8-xpmod.7z
Win64 https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-28.6.0a1.win64-git-20190504-d9d9d1ed8-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- Fix failure to print when pages contain zero-sized <canvas> element. Fixes #1058 (1091fcac8)
- Merge pull request #1059 from g4jc/print_preview_fix (6e8e07e2c)
- New cycle version bump. (b63098646)
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP (722cc9091)
- [PALEMOON] Prevent overlapping modal prompts and preserve prompt order. (cd296c598)
- Improve dead compartment collection js/src (5a65d8739)
- Improve dead compartment collection js/src/gc (2cb4d2ee5)
- Improve dead compartment collection js/src/builtin (bb1fad0fa)
- Improve dead compartment collection js/ipc (cf319d581)
- Space to comment. (44e59151e)
- Add newline at end of files js/src (d57c13c6d)
- add newline at end of files js/src/gc (22116f9a7)
- Add newline at end of file js/src/builtin (6f15c693f)
- Add newline at end of files (038d437d7)
- tab to spaces js/src (0e70828f2)
- tab to spaces js/src/gc (9fb6b925f)
- tab to spaces js/src/builtin (f8d671ab7)
- tab to spaces js/ipc (d59b5441e)
- remaining tabs to space js/src/jsgc.cpp (4d03ec5c2)
- Remaining tabs to spaces JavaScriptShared.cpp (53e748f9b)
- Remove some empty lines (a2dbd23b0)
- Remove rest of empty lines. (0c8c58314)
- Whitespaces, typo, tabs to space (31ea8c7e9)
- Braces and one more typo fix for comment (2ec2389d7)
- Merge pull request #1065 from win7-7/Improve-dead-compartment-collection (871b926f6)
- Restore BROWSER_NEW_TAB_URL check in Basilisk. (aca5eb2cd)
- patch to Bug 1363423 (7975665f6)
- patch to Bug 1377329 (9b750203d)
- unnecessary space at the end removed (99d111ad8)
- Merge pull request #1070 from win7-7/PresShellPaint-performance-patch (d9404b77b)
- Merge pull request #1071 from win7-7/nsDisplayListBuilder (650585f03)
- Only change the default and hover text color on buttons for Windows 8+ HC Themes (aero-lite) (d9d9d1ed8)

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

New build of BOC/UXP for XP!

Test binary:
MailNews Win32 https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/mailnews.win32-20190504-0502a83-uxp-d9d9d1ed8-xpmod.7z
Browser-only Suite Win32 https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/bnavigator.win32-20190504-0502a83-uxp-d9d9d1ed8-xpmod.7z

source patch (excluding UXP): https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/boc-uxp-src-xpmod-20190223.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- [PLATFORM] Update commit pointer (0502a83)

For UXP changes please see above.

Edited by roytam1
  • Like 2

New New Moon 27 Build!

32bit https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190504-249ad075c-xpmod.7z
32bit SSE https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190504-249ad075c-xpmod-sse.7z
32bit noSSE https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win32-git-20190504-249ad075c-xpmod-ia32.7z

64bit https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.6.win64-git-20190504-249ad075c-xpmod.7z

source repo: https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27

repo changes since my last build:
- import change from rmottola/Arctic-Fox:
 - Bug 1140709: Add a second bounds check for checking that the index is actually positive (b79e7923f)
 - pointer style (32c997296)
 - Bug 1135042: Optimize SIMD.storeX/storeXY/storeXYZ in Ion (cb99e5f91)
 - Bug 1144108 - Fix debugger tests that are confused by GC zeal (b492b7fd0)
 - pointer style (0aae53f82)
 - more pointer style (a55165e9b)
 -  Bug 1134150 - Don't check type sweeping generation when accessing an unboxed object's layout during nursery collections (5f184fb4a) (1c67f373e)
 - more boring pointer style (9855fa50f)
 - Bug 1128646 part 1 - Optimize calls to own property scripted getters (6b7da146a)
 - pointer style (6ef381028)
 - Bug 1137180 - Allow unboxed objects to be extended with new properties (dafccfa9d) (249ad075c)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

New regular/weekly KM-Goanna release:
https://o.rths.cf/kmeleon/KM76.2-Goanna-20190504.7z

Changelog:

Out-of-tree changes:
* update Goanna3 to git a09f31062..249ad075c:
 - Bug 1140709: Add a second bounds check for checking that the index is actually positive (b79e7923f)
 - pointer style (32c997296)
 - Bug 1135042: Optimize SIMD.storeX/storeXY/storeXYZ in Ion (cb99e5f91)
 - Bug 1144108 - Fix debugger tests that are confused by GC zeal (b492b7fd0)
 - pointer style (0aae53f82)
 - more pointer style (a55165e9b)
 -  Bug 1134150 - Don't check type sweeping generation when accessing an unboxed object's layout during nursery collections (5f184fb4a) (1c67f373e)
 - more boring pointer style (9855fa50f)
 - Bug 1128646 part 1 - Optimize calls to own property scripted getters (6b7da146a)
 - pointer style (6ef381028)
 - Bug 1137180 - Allow unboxed objects to be extended with new properties (dafccfa9d) (249ad075c)

* Notice: the changelog above may not always applicable to XULRunner code which K-Meleon uses.

A goanna3 source tree that has kmeleon adaption patch applied is available here: https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27/tree/kmeleon76

Edited by roytam1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2019 at 5:18 PM, VistaLover said:

... YES, we know already! :angry: Please stop repeating yourself ad nauseam... :( As I wrote in my post:

What is it exactly you don't understand? I think the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" should have applied here... If you're not at all familiar with the browser's Developer Tools section, then educate yourself; basically, for the purposes of URL sniffin (detecting background URLs for media and other content), you really only need WebConsole (CTRL+SHIFT+K):

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Web_Console

... and, on occasion, Network Monitor (CTRL+SHIFT+Q):

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Network_Monitor

Load  https://winfuture.de/UpdatePack in a New Moon 27 tab; in that same tab, open WebConsole, filter for ".mp4" (without the quotes) and then reload the page, followed by clicking the play button in the embedded web player; the link to the video itself should appear (https://videos.winfuture.de/16838.mp4)

Right clink the link; you can copy the link (and use whatever download manager/extension already installed to fetch it to disk) OR you can opt to open it in a new New Moon 27 tab; if you have set up the browser correctly (LAV filters provided by roytam1 for SSE-only processors), it should start to auto-play; right-click the video and an option is there to save/download it!

(<Personal rant>: I acknowledge most people here offering guidance/help do so on a voluntary basis, out of the goodness of heart, sacrificing valuable personal spare time... I'm no different :P; but what really aggravates me is the lack of willingness on the help-receiving parties to do some of the "homework" themselves, learning things along the way; it appears that most people expect to be spoon-fed like a one year old toddler, this attitude never promotes one's own knowledge :( </Personal rant>)

You dont need to tell me what we have to learn. we have here a lot of low-level(compared to the software-pros here)-people who need advice and have other more serious tasks than software-learning.
You should better have setup a STICKY like i have done after endless amounts of hours grabbing through this informations. THE WINXP-WORLD would thank you.
so i executed what had been said about the LAV-files(will correct in my statement about simply running LAV-filters-exe).
Could run everything except dont know how to filter .mp4. Thanks

Edited by 3dreal

Major cuck up by Mozilla disabling addons because of invalid certificates.

Ok putting my tinfoil hat on (why not, it feels good) maybe it wasn't an accident but intentional. I'm reading that older pre-quantum release versions are affected as well, e.g firefox 56.0. Could it be a scammy attempt by Mozilla to force those users to newer versions? There are ways around it, which would require editing omni.ja, but most users probably wouldn't know or take the time to go through the trouble.

Not sure about this but would not it be just a matter of replacing the cert file in the profile with the updated one?

Another possibility is self-sabotage. As we all know, Mozilla has been infected with Google moles for some time and with the recent uptick in firefox market share all of a sudden this hits. Then we see post after post throughout the internet about how "this is the last straw, I'm leaving firefox for chrome."

/end tinfoil rant.

Thankfully, basilisk isn't affected nor is 52esr since xpinstall.signatures.required is set to false. Keep up the good work guys.

42 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I uninstalled Firefox 52 ESR.

52esr is kept around here as a portable as needed, which these days is almost never.

I want to thank NM28 developers for great job.

There are several questions:

1) It is possible to remove from the menu of the Bookmark somehow the Panel of Bookmarks and Not Hemmed folders of a bookmark or at least to make them invisible?

2) Whether there is some expansion with a proxy for the browser?

In Russia the main Rutrecker.org torrent tracker is blocked by the authorities and to it there is no access. The application for Firefox by the New Moon browser is not supported.