My Browser Builds (Part 1)

On 9/13/2019 at 11:00 PM, dencorso said:

Well, just for completeness, I've just added it to @mixit's 1st post in the Primetime thread, so as to keep things as together as possible. :)

Thanks! You totally imitated my style, too, so if !'d missed your note, I might have wondered a while about when on earth did I add that line :D.

FWIW, there could be more stuff like that for branched browsers, my focus was always on mainline Firefox.

Edited by mixit
typo

2 hours ago, sparty411 said:

Hey @roytam1, do you think you might be able to give me an example .mozconfig to do a no SSE2 build of Arctic Fox on Linux? I’m having trouble finding a list of compiler options I should be using to get a desired result. 

I think default config will just work? I don't build linux builds but I can give you my win32 .mozconfig for reference:

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j6"

ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --enable-devtools
ac_add_options  --disable-debug
ac_add_options  --enable-strip
ac_add_options --disable-skia
ac_add_options --disable-maintenance-service
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-mochitests
ac_add_options --disable-replace-malloc

On 9/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, roytam1 said:

OT: it seems that my new rig win7's status is somewhat bearable for daily use, may swap-in in next week.

OT: finally swapped in new rig into my main workstation chassis yesterday after work, took ~5 hours to final adjust for my daily use. (Although my main workstation changed to win7, I still have a low-powered download station and a DELL D630 notebook running XP)

BTW old games like Red Alert 2 and SimCity 3000 are not test yet, hope they will still run.

EDIT: copied my repos to SSD, so I need as least 128GiB SSD scratch disk for them later.

boSswRS.png

Edited by roytam1

5 hours ago, roytam1 said:

I think default config will just work? I don't build linux builds but I can give you my win32 .mozconfig for reference:

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j6"

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --enable-devtools
ac_add_options  --disable-debug
ac_add_options  --enable-strip
ac_add_options --disable-skia
ac_add_options --disable-maintenance-service
ac_add_options --disable-mochitests
ac_add_options --disable-replace-malloc

I don’t need to specify -mno-sse2?

I did

22 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j8"
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --enable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -march=pentium3 -mtune=pentium3 -msse -mno-sse2"

And it crashes every time it tries to make an HTTPS connection. Riccardo Mottolla told me he tried a no SSE2 build, and it does the same exact thing. It works just fine on AMD64 Linux though.

12 hours ago, roytam1 said:

BTW old games like Red Alert 2 and SimCity 3000 are not test yet, hope they will still run.

OFFT: Depends on the distribution of the game, the retail versions of the games have the SafeDisc DRM (RA2 and SC3K Unlimited Edition >>for reference original version has SecuROM DRM<<), which isn't supported by 7 with KB3086255 update installed, so you have to either free the DRM by temporarily enabling the secdrv service (i recommend not doing it since you would reopen the vulnerability) or by certain yarr-harr methods.

I recommend consulting PCGamingWiki for those games for any patches/fixes for modern versions of windows: 

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer:_Red_Alert_2

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/SimCity_3000

Edited by IntMD

2 hours ago, sparty411 said:

I did

And it crashes every time it tries to make an HTTPS connection. Riccardo Mottolla told me he tried a no SSE2 build, and it does the same exact thing. It works just fine on AMD64 Linux though.

because AMD64 implies SSE2. (i.e. you can't find an AMD64 processor without SSE2)

I think you may need to have a look in NSS's config to see if there is any SSE2 specified.

Edited by roytam1

Just now, roytam1 said:

because AMD64 implies SSE2. I think you may need to have a look in NSS's config to see if there is any SSE2 specified.

I was able to get UXP / Serpent to build ok for SSE only processors. Pic related! Thanks for your help :)

UXP_SSE.png

Just now, Mathwiz said:

Good work, but keep in mind UXP's JavaScript compiler will still output SSE2 code, so JavaScript will often foil your SSE-only version of Serpent.

I'm using Umatrix to block most unnecessary scripts, but you're right, it does choke quite badly on JS heavy sites. Still leaps and bounds faster than the SSE only version of Quantum that ships with antiX! That one really takes the cake :D

Now that's interesting... I wonder if it could be possible to do the same with the Windows version? I never had the opportunity to check Serpent out, as y'all know, my PC has an SSE only CPU. I'm quite curious to find out how an hypothetical SSE Windows version would perform with the UOC Patch and the other essential add-ons.

Edited by looking4awayout

46 minutes ago, looking4awayout said:

Now that's interesting... I wonder if it could be possible to do the same with the Windows version? I never had the opportunity to check Serpent out, as y'all know, my PC has an SSE only CPU. I'm quite curious to find out how an hypothetical SSE Windows version would perform with the UOC Patch and the other essential add-ons.

That would be neat. NM28 builds for me as well here. It's fast enough out of the box, that I don't really need to do much about:config fiddling. Umatrix will suffice.

NM_SEE.png