Jump to content

Experimental builds


bigmuscle
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

Said by NoelC:

Those of you wishing for a turnkey solution *could* just take the time and put in the effort to become more knowledgeable - by I don't know, maybe READING - so as to be able to install the software and test it yourself.  It's pretty clear others did their reading and are getting Aero Glass to function.

I tried that and I keep getting the compatibility errors even though I understand that that can just be bypassed (actually, just tried it again and I lose the aeroglass when I close the DOS box that comes up--are there current symbols that would stop that and is there a way to get rid of the compatibility message?).   Also, there is the watermark that I understand is still there--not sure if that can be eliminated but it would probably take some sort of watermark eliminator.  Why can't we have an installer now for the 64-bit and not have to wait for the apparently difficult job of producing the 32-bit version?  Really, what percentage of users of the software do you think are still on 32-bit?  At a minimum I think bigmuscle should at least respond to this idea.  Those who choose such an antiquated route should not be given priority.

Edited by genecooper
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, genecooper said:

Why can't we have an installer now for the 64-bit and not have to wait for the apparently difficult job of producing the 32-bit version?

It's simple - as I said in another forum - users still need to complain about something, so if I don't release installer they will complain, if I release installer without 32-bit version they will complain. So why don't just give some other benefit to donators and provide them non-installer final release build before everything is completed?

Quote

Really, what percentage of users of the software do you think are still on 32-bit?  At a minimum I think bigmuscle should at least respond to this idea. 

You are right here and I already mentioned some time ago. 32-bits builds/hooks are real pain in the a** and I have long-time idea to drop the 32-bit version completely.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MS should have dropped X86 years ago, I thought Windows 8 was going to be X64 only but sadly they seem unwilling to let it go, even though pretty much all new PC's use X64 and anyone with half decent hardware would be silly to use anything else, I would say 99% of the your supporters would be using X64, maybe there are a few people using X86 on Virtual Machines for testing insider builds as they are smaller download sizes but I couldn't imagine many others, maybe make a poll to get a better picture to see if it's worth while your time to keep supporting it, I did create an unofficial installer for the latest build that I posted on my site Aero Glass for Windows 10 RS1 Experimental builds , no one is asking for a X86 version.

I think your time would be better spent on creating a new UI and maybe even incorporating it into the installer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, don't drop x86 support, please. In all comps on my work is 32-bit versions of Windows. And on one comp is allready Windows 10 1607 x86. Because of compatibility of many programs and drivers for old hardware i can't use x64 on my work computers, but i still want to have AeroGlass.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, genecooper said:

are there current symbols that would stop that and is there a way to get rid of the compatibility message?

Yes, there are current symbols, and yes, they will get rid of the compatibility message.  I have no watermark.  And of course the non-debug version is needed not to see a debug console window (described inaccurately as a "DOS box").

Bear in mind that Microsoft's symbol servers seem to be almost constantly overloaded, and thus the process of loading symbols is at best unreliable.  It took my system several tries before the symbols finally just loaded.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CKyHC said:

Hey, don't drop x86 support, please. In all comps on my work is 32-bit versions of Windows. And on one comp is already Windows 10 1607 x86. Because of compatibility of many programs and drivers for old hardware i can't use x64 on my work computers, but i still want to have AeroGlass.

I agree.  I have 3 PCs here in my office, one of which is a legacy x86.  For reasons I won't detail here that one 32 bit machine needs to remain that way.  Yet it is just as valuable to me as the other two 64 bit machines, and I use it on a nearly daily basis.  I would hate to eventually lose Aeroglass on that one all-important machine!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Work PC's shouldn't be a factor here, no work or office PC user should be concerned on how pretty their desktop looks or be using any 3rd party customization software, I am sure your employers wouldn't be too pleased to see that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I completely disagree, MrGRiM.  A work PC needs to be pleasant to use.  Personally I'd resent any employer who forced me to look at a stock Win 8 or 10 desktop and wouldn't allow me to improve it.

And this software is perfectly stable.  I haven't had a single glitch with it on my Win 8.1 work workstation in years of hard use, and that's no exaggeration.

-Noel

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For people such as myself who have our own business and spend upwards of 10 hours a day on our PCs, having an attractive computing environment to look at while we're getting our work done definitely makes the day easier to get through.

But then, being self-employed means that the boss won't be inflicting Windows 10 on me. :P

--JorgeA

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

It's simple - as I said in another forum - users still need to complain about something, so if I don't release installer they will complain, if I release installer without 32-bit version they will complain.

You are right here and I already mentioned some time ago. 32-bits builds/hooks are real pain in the a** and I have long-time idea to drop the 32-bit version completely.

If you did the installer for just 64-bit first you wouldn't not be releasing the 32-bit installer--you'd just be releasing the installers in stages and avoiding a substantial delay to the detriment of the overwhelming majority of users, i.e., those with 64-bit.  I would strongly back such a decision in this or any other forum.  I would also back a decision to completely drop 32-bit if you felt that that was the best course for your project.  Hope you will consider this proposal.  If people complain you can justify it to them and to yourself that you made the correct decision--I think that that would go a long way toward easing any anxiety you might have over complaints.  In other words, since you'll have complaints no matter what it's best to know you did the right thing in spite of them.

Edited by genecooper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

Yes, there are current symbols, and yes, they will get rid of the compatibility message.  I have no watermark.  And of course the non-debug version is needed not to see a debug console window (described inaccurately as a "DOS box").

Bear in mind that Microsoft's symbol servers seem to be almost constantly overloaded, and thus the process of loading symbols is at best unreliable.  It took my system several tries before the symbols finally just loaded.

-Noel

Can you tell me where to get the symbols or do you just have to do several reboots before they're finally loaded?  Also, how did you get rid of the watermark?  Does it go away if you use the pre-release, i.e., release 669 vs. 668?  I have donation keys from my donations but I understand that they don't work without the installer version.

Edited by genecooper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

So why don't just give some other benefit to donators and provide them non-installer final release build before everything is completed?

I'm trying to get it working--you can see my problems from my earlier post.  I know you don't directly support pre-releases but any tips would be appreciated.  I am a donator.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrGRiM said:

Work PC's shouldn't be a factor here, no work or office PC user should be concerned on how pretty their desktop looks or be using any 3rd party customization software, I am sure your employers wouldn't be too pleased to see that.

I am my own employer and I have to sit at these machines 12-14 hours a day, typically 7 days a week.  I am indeed concerned how my desktops look because they have a strong influence on my mood and outlook even after I retire for the day or perform other activities.  If I had employees, I would be sensitive to their own desires for the very same reason and consider offering them Aeroglass as well.  I have been cautious in my use of Aeroglass, always making sure it's been safe to use in a working environment.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...