Windows 9x w/ USB plugged in during boot hangs

This sounds stupid, but dis it attempting to "boot" from any usb devices? I know if I leave a flashdrive in my one computers, it hangs. I didn't play with the BIOS but I'm sure that's what the issue is there. But I'd think the simplest thing would be to check that it's not attempting to boot from something. I don't see why it would, but sometimes technology is funny that way.

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

This sounds stupid, but dis it attempting to "boot" from any usb devices? I know if I leave a flashdrive in my one computers, it hangs. I didn't play with the BIOS but I'm sure that's what the issue is there. But I'd think the simplest thing would be to check that it's not attempting to boot from something. I don't see why it would, but sometimes technology is funny that way.

I don't believe so, this is a very common issue...

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CamTron said:

Where does it hang? Does it get past POST and hang during the Windows 98 splash screen?

Haven't used my Windows ME for a few weeks

Windows 98SE - Hangs at DOS screen, claiming to boot to windows 98; doesn't reach splash screen.
Windows ME - Hangs at the Windows ME screen. The loading bar still moves, but it does not ever boot to windows and stays stuck on the splash screen.

On 7/4/2016 at 4:41 PM, dencorso said:

I do. What USB related options do the BIOS offer, and how are they set?

I believe my Dell Latitude D600 isn't set to boot from USB, maybe I'll check soon