Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


xper

Forum Upgrade Bugs and Errors Only

Recommended Posts

@NoelC

Right when I thought you were the one against changes (when they do not make things better):

jaclaz
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NoelC said:

I wonder if CSS could make the vertical spacing of a "new line" and "paragraph" closer together (so that single- and double-spacing, using the ancient lingo, are just more dense).

Yeah, I can try that solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

@NoelC

Right when I thought you were the one against changes (when they do not make things better):

Don't get me wrong, I would have been able to continue to use the old MSFN just fine.  I didn't ask for change, but that doesn't mean I can't deal with it. 

And there are some things that ARE better.  For example, that I can upload images directly to show screen grabs is fantastic.  I don't have to push them to my own web site any more.  Also, pages seem to load faster.  I see a lot fewer individual http requests on average.

Now that change is upon us, it gives us all a chance to exercise our neuroplasticity.  Unpleasant as that can be, it's actually healthy.  I'm betting you'll be posting like a boss inside a day.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NoelC said:

  For example, that I can upload images directly to show screen grabs is fantastic.  I don't have to push them to my own web site any more. 

Unfortunately, the more folks that take advantage of this will cause the board's database size to increase, storage space costs and maintenance issues to possibly increase as a result, and overall responsiveness to probably decrease.  At least it is more likely to happen now than when folks were encouraged to post images elsewhere and simply link to them, which is what I continue to suggest.  Just my opinion.

Cheers and Regards

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bphlpt

No prob :) we will be both here watching when NoelC (or any other member for that matters) - thanks to the "new convenience" - will soon hit his maximum quota of uploadable content an start complaining about it.


jaclaz
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

the more folks that take advantage of this will cause the board's database size to increase, storage space costs and maintenance issues to possibly increase as a result, and overall responsiveness to probably decrease.

That's certainly something that should be thought-through...  How much does a gigabyte of storage cost nowadays?  Not much - maybe about 2 cents US (a quick search turns up a 4 TB WD drive for $90 US).

With the current half megabyte limit, that would be 2,000 max-sized images per gigabyte, but on average they won't all be pushing that limit.  I've posted 5 so far in the past half-day, but they averaged about 75 kbytes each.  Some tens of millions of images would fit on that 4 TB drive.  It might just not turn out to be a practical problem.

The social networking world has grown past pure text communications.  Beyond still images, actually - phone users are sharing "mini-videos" nowadays.  The ability to easily post things here like screen grabs will IMO increase the quality level of communications.  That's somewhat intangible, but a high quality of information is what makes a web forum attractive...

-Noel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoelC said:

That's certainly something that should be thought-through...  How much does a gigabyte of storage cost nowadays?  Not much - maybe about 2 cents US (a quick search turns up a 4 TB WD drive for $90 US).

With the current half megabyte limit, that would be 2,000 max-sized images per gigabyte, but on average they won't all be pushing that limit.  I've posted 5 so far in the past half-day, but they averaged about 75 kbytes each.  Some tens of millions of images would fit on that 4 TB drive.  It might just not turn out to be a practical problem.

The social networking world has grown past pure text communications.  Beyond still images, actually - phone users are sharing "mini-videos" nowadays.  The ability to easily post things here like screen grabs will IMO increase the quality level of communications.  That's somewhat intangible, but a high quality of information is what makes a web forum attractive...

-Noel

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104952/quotes?item=qt0404534

Why don't you make a video of it? (it's cool, it's new, widens your audience, will have lots of visualizations, and likes on Facebook, LOL)
 

jaclaz

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

No prob :) we will be both here watching when NoelC (or any other member for that matters) - thanks to the "new convenience" - will soon hit his maximum quota of uploadable content an start complaining about it.

Is there a limit?  I know there was one with the last version of the forum software (as I recall it was stated on screen), but the interface was so clunky it wasn't really attractive to try to use.  The current one allows a full-sized screen grab.  Nice!

You're right, I haven't started complaining.  Unlike some...

 

5 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Even more stuff that reminded me that I should see if there is an "ignore user" feature to test...

-Noel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see faking quotes as really not cool, actually extremely incorrect and inappropriate, but I don't want to hijack the thread, my previous post contained an example of what I see as another "bug" of the new software, I posted a link to a youtube video and the board software automatically decided to make a HUGE preview of it, in previous versions the preview was much smaller and less intrusive.

jaclaz
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104952/quotes?item=qt0404534

Why don't you make a video of it? (it's cool, it's new, widens your audience, will have lots of visualizations, and likes on Facebook, LOL)
 

jaclaz

Better now :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wimb said:

Unlock of a topic is no longer available for MSFN Forum Developers. :ph34r:

 

Editing posts existing before the forum update is impossible (text for editing is NOT available) :ph34r:

I will look into getting your permissions restored.

And yes, for now do not edit old posts that have quote or code tags in it (I posted this as a status update) because it will bork your post. We can wait for now and see about making it so the forum doesn't destroy a post when doing this.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tripredacus said:

Editing posts existing before the forum update is impossible (text for editing is NOT available) 

I don't get it. Text not available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoelC said:

I should see if there is an "ignore user" feature to test...

FYI, xper, another minor buglet:  Ignored users' posts do show up in the Streams output - at least in my user-defined stream...

UserStreamDefinition.thumb.png.7429471c2

-Noel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All (active) moderators should have the appropriate permissions in their forums now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

I will look into getting your permissions restored.

And yes, for now do not edit old posts that have quote or code tags in it (I posted this as a status update) because it will bork your post. We can wait for now and see about making it so the forum doesn't destroy a post when doing this.

Thanks for restoring permissions. :)

Unlock option is now available and I can Add posts to a Locked topic.

Also Editing existing posts is now possible and I fixed the Code Boxes by replacing the correct code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...