Intel HD graphics / B75 chipset drivers

Luxman

Hi. 

Intel do not provide official drivers for the igpu HD 2500/4000 or for the chipset B75 for Vista. I would like to install Vista. The motherboard manufacturer (Asus) provides drivers for XP & 7.

Is it possible the drivers for 7 will install on Vista?

I would just like to ask before going through the hassle of attempting this. Thanks.

Yes and no. Let me explain.

I have also tried to use the Windows 7 display drivers on Vista. With what little knowledge I have about modifying the driver information (.INF) files, I attempted to install them by changing the NT version number(s) that restrict it to Windows 7 in the INF from 6.1 (Win7 NT number) to 6.0 (WinVista  NT Number), and then installing them via Device Manager, and it installed, but upon rebooting, it refused to function. I find it rather odd that they didn't function, but I suppose intel put some effort into blocking out Vista. I have heard of people getting the XP drivers to work, but you will not get the aero interface.

However, if you are on a desktop PC, you can purchase a compatible nvidia card, which will work with Vista. As for USB 3.0 and chipset drivers, you can (most likely) successfully install these drivers by downloading the 7 drivers and modifying them. To do that, try to locate the file with the .inf extension, and then open it with notepad. Change the version number(s) in the file (typically NTAMD64.6.1) to NTAMD64.6.0. Then save the file and open Device Manger. Right click on the device you want to install drivers for, and then choose "Update driver".. then choose to install from a specific location and browse for the modified .infs, and they should install. If not I have some modified USB 3.0 drivers for haswell if you want them which should work, although only with desktops, not laptops.

What I also find very odd is that Windows XP is supported, but not Vista. I guess they go by usage statistics, but I don't see how it would be that difficult to include Vista support given the similarities to Windows 7 and the fact that it is a part of the Windows NT 6.x series. AMD's catalyst also for a short period of time supported XP and 7 but not Vista, until MSFN user smeezekitty found a way around that and got the Win7 drivers to work. However if you want full Vista support graphic wise, NVIDIA would be the way to go. Any modern card will work, they fully support XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.

Hope I helped.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Thanks for your detailed reply.  :hello:

This was my avenue of last resort. I've utilized Google Forums Search and I've spent a few hours in search of not even specifically the drivers I mentioned, but a hack for any 7 drivers installed on Vista.

No luck, whatsoever. The only postings I've found are simply the "not supported" responses.

The video card option is certainly an easy one, but if the chipset drivers won't install it's rather a moot point. 

No problem.

It appears that someone here on the intel support site said that the Windows 7 drivers work.. https://communities.intel.com/thread/30389Although they may only be referring to the chipset drivers. From my testing they do work with modification, but only the chipset and usb 3.0 drivers. The display drivers were the only problem in which case getting a dedicated graphics card would solve the issue. I know of someone that used Vista on an ivy bridge based PC with a GT 610 graphics card and everything worked, so I'm pretty sure that as long as you had a dedicated GPU, everything would work fine.

Here's a video of it in action 

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Windows7 B75 chipset drivers installed=  :yes:  

Windows7 AHCI drivers installed=  :yes:  

Everything was going nice and smooth until;

Windows7 Intel graphics drivers installed=  :no:  :realmad:

Edited by Luxman

I happen to be the person who owned that machine on the video and ran Vista on it. Yes, by all means, you will need a dedicated card. A GT 610, like I had, is not very expensive and still works for basic tasks.

That's an amazing discovery :thumbup

Hope to see an HD 4600 driver some time as well.

This driver should work for Intel HD Graphics 4600.

http://dl-eu1.driverscape.com/files/misc/Intel_hd_grahpics_win64_153614.zip?access_key=qjZyYWnDJavhHRAiaZ3IMJUZ5VSLVM-UzHv0qkJabb3mZ2ZA14juSPNw5w61Gn2QwSMhO-MYDR7QHTxVTUX2k947hpiHgTSSJqvqUpai8sLekziyg0cVIGKhZuUVIwWj

EnJoy!   :thumbup

• 3 months later...

My Intel HD Graphics 4000 card that my laptop has works exceptionally well in Vista, just not verified. Here's a screenshot if you want. http://ft.trillian.im/d0e126060e6636736853e7a887355c68b48441ae/6FAD2LMSEb9HLayasb4WDWSlL8T2G.jpg

Modding the 7/8 drivers of HD 4000 won't work at all, but since we have official Vista drivers for that, there's no need to do so. I got USB 3.0 drivers to install properly too, although I get Code 39 errors with it. Chipset drivers for the 7 series also work fine. 

The best thing we can guess, is that Haswell is just not that Vista-friendly, and X99 only seems to support it officially. 

• 6 months later...
On 15.11.2015 at 2:32 AM, Luxman said:

Finally, a perfectly functioning driver for 3rd generation Intel HD graphics / Ivy Bridge CPU's  for Vista  :thumbup  :w00t:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20758/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-Vista

Thank you so much! I'll try it later on my Windows Server 2008 installation and hope it'll work :) Even though i'm using a PCI videocard, i need the iGPU for the 2nd monitor since it only has 1x DVI port. 

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work :(

Edited by GTAGAME

• 3 years later...