Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

They've been working hard, they all deserve a break. Say, for a thousand years or so. Would that be enough (for the world to get back to normal)…? :unsure:

Maybe they can get the old Windows team in as leave replacements?

The Windows 98 team, maybe. But if those guys - assuming they're still alive - still have the slightest shadow of a decency, they'd refuse to be associated again with the 21st century M$.

FormFiller is right and I've said it too: Windows is now nothing but a Linux, and a bad one at it. And for the life of me, I simply don't understand why both teams must copy from one-another only the worst (un)features, discarding exactly what is required to truly personalize and improve each and every user's experience. Is there something in the air that affects human judgement, or what? :(

FormFiller is right and I've said it too: Windows is now nothing but a Linux, and a bad one at it. 

Windows 10 is Windows distro. Just like late 90s/early 2000s Linux distros,  it's not about using the OS, it's about tinkering with it. In a bad forced way in this case though.

They are serious about churning out constantly new Windows 10 builds, and these changes aren’t all under the hood, lots of them are GUI changes. And of course these upgrade will be forced on W10.

Imagine that: A Windows that changes every few months. Just who the heck wants THAT?! What the eff is wrong with Microsoft. No one asked for THIS. People are in generally annoyed by the Windows Update procedure (“Please wait until Windows applies the updates.. don’t turn off your computer! You must reboot now! Windows failed to apply the update!”) they don’t want even more of them.

I didn't like Windows 8, but I at least understood why they went for it, even though they ultimately failed (trying to capure the tablet market), but this late 90s Linux distro path they are on now, I just don’t get it. 

Does anyone?

And what about small businesses? The volume licensing to get the sanest edition (LTSB) is too costly for them, and that’s an userbase that will be extremely annoyed by this, think of doctor’s offices, smaller law firms etc.

The constant updating is bad enough, but do you know anyone who wants his OS GUI getting reshuffled every few months? Even a "pro" would be pissed at this. It would also probably break GUI automation-tools like auto-it in some cases. And it has nothing to do with being afraid of change: If I buy a new TV I expect that I will have to learn the new remote control and the menus. But if the menus and the control would be changing every few months on their own, it would be just annoying and taxing on the brain (conflicting with usage patterns). A constantly changing OS GUI is the same.

That's the reason I would rather have W8 than W10.

I don't understand W10 as a product at all. All that fast-ring, slow-ring, LTSB as-a-service crap. Why have they come up with this in the first place? I even fail to see a clear monetization-aspect in this, if the forced W10-upgrades continue to be free. Upgrading their spyware seems to be the only sane point in this (for them).

Too many people at Microsoft have untreated ADHD.

MS has always been copycat company

they don't innovate, they look other peoples designs and use them

or just buy out the companies that use X technology

they obviously hit the wall after win7, as theres not much to add to it

except re-patching it and do small tweaks to ease the UI

so basically with no ideas as they acomplished their world of glass and wim

the next step is to look what competition is doing (AGAIN)

Linux had distros

Apple got them

they both have frequent major updates

so why wouldn't "we"

and there you go

but to again mess in market (don't know better word, its like fat guy squeezing into tight masses - no offense fat people)

so lets make touch OS, but we have no time for making NEW core OS

well lets use AGAIN stupid IE components, change its looks, fullscreen it and call it "modern apps"

as "nobody" will notice we run stupid crude mixture shell ontop of desktop OS

and there you go

And it has nothing to do with being afraid of change: If I buy a new TV I expect that I will have to learn the new remote control and the menus. But if the menus and the control would be changing every few months on their own, it would be just annoying and taxing on the brain (conflicting with usage patterns). A constantly changing OS GUI is the same.

Nice, good :) thought, partially wrong example. :w00t:

The real issue is not with the ever-changing TV remote keys layout :no:, for two reasons:

1) I can have for a few bucks a "simplified", third party, remote with just On/off, Channel up/Channel Down, Volume up/Volume down and (luxury) change input Antenna/AV/etc.

2) After all it is about "entertainment", not "business", a TV is something you *like* to have, not something that you really *need*.

Now (real life recent anecdote) when you change your washing machine, that's ANOTHER issue.

We have been used for years to a "common" interface on washing machines, a single rotating knob that  more or less meant "the more you turn me clockwise, the less I will do", first notch would be "complete wash with temperatures up to 90°" (please read as white linen and cotton) all the way down to just rinse passing through "more common robes" (coloured with temperatures up to 60°), "delicate" (temperatures up to 40°) "very delicate" (please read as wool and cold water) and usually with a separate button for "do at the end a full spin cycle on/off), there were symbols or letters on the body of the machine around the knob so that you could set it to a given notch and you could also visually (since the knob was mechanically connected to a rotating timer) after a little practice see roughly att a glance (what we would now call "fuzzy logic") at which point of the cycle (how much time was until the cycle ended)

Then they evolved in a more complex interface, a separate knob was added to indicate the max temperature, while the main knob still meant "the more you turn me clockwise, the less I will do", slightly more complicated, but very intuitive.

Some three years ago our beloved washing machine died :( (after some 15 years of faithful service) and we bought a new one.

The new one still had a knob (now a digital thingy of some kind) and a digital display (4 digits+ dots).

Still you rotated the knob only a little for a more complete cycle and more for a less complete one (with an enhancement being that a led was lit corresponding to the position to which you rotated it), and the display, once you pressed a "start" button (added), displayed in minutes how much time was left, same temperature control knob (when you operated it the display would temporarily display the max temperature set briefly) and same spin cycle on/spin cycle off button.

A new usage paradigm, but still very similar to the preceding one and easy enough to learn in a very short time.

Eventually (four weeks ago or so) it died also (after only something more than three 1/2 years).

We bought  a new one.

It took us (me and wife) only two evenings reading the instruction manual and doing some experiments to manage to somehow understand the basic usage of some 10 or 12 buttons and to understand (roughly) what the large display tried to tell us.

The maid (who is convinced, notwithstanding her age to be still an attractive "girl" and thus refuses to wear spectacles, without which she simply cannot see whatever is on the display) needed a "refresh course" on the usage of the interface every single time she comes (twice weekly) and notwithstanding that, she usually manages to "boil" my pullovers at 90° with the results of a three sizes less masses of wool that can only fit my wife (and she wears them occasionally to go in the garden or in the country). 

Luckily (can one say luckily in this cases?) the neighbour's washing machine also broke and we gave her our new "high profile" one and procured a "normal" one with a simple interface and knobs.

My beloved pullovers are safe again.

Now, imagine that your files are just like my pullovers, with washing machines and/or their interfaces changing/being replaced every six months or so.   :ph34r:

jaclaz

Is Windows 10 a way to deliver ads to users? An adman seems to think so:

Windows 10 is a great platform for advertising

Will Microsoft start converting its desktop advertising to a more mobile-like experience, is just a speculation, but Microsoft does hint on that on the front page of their Ads-in-Apps page, "Not just ads. Experiences".

[...]

With Windows 10, Microsoft doesn’t have to worry about how Windows phones were a flop. Instead, they’ve delivered an advertising platform right to every person who clicks that upgrade button. Plus, if Cortana starts offering up ads in cross-platform applications, then they have an advertising wedge into nearly every smartphone on the planet.

If Microsoft’s goal is to bust down the barriers between desktop, tablet, and smartphone experiences, and it does seem to be that way, then Windows 10 is a heck of a good start, at least for advertisers...

--JorgeA

I never trusted Chromium, anything that had Google involved as much as Chromium is aught to have at least a few backdoors and trackers.

As bad as we see Win 10, I don't think the public in general agrees...  Do Google searches for the quoted strings:

"Windows 10 is good"

"Windows 10 is bad"

Believe it or not, there are about 3x as many pages matching the former as the latter.  Try synonyms for good and bad, and the ratio pretty much holds up.

I hate that the world is becoming so dumbed down that people think Windows 10 is actually good.

-Noel

Believe it or not, there are about 3x as many pages matching the former as the latter.  Try synonyms for good and bad, and the ratio pretty much holds up.

Could be. OTOH, we know that when Windows 8 came out there was a concerted "astroturfing" effort to talk up that OS with paid shills in the comments sections of various tech news sites. I wouldn't rule out that possibility in this case. Some people, when they're caught, learn not to do the offending behavior. Others learn to do it more covertly.

--JorgeA