Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Here's an intriguing technique that maybe could be used to block connections to Microsoft telemetry servers.

I was not aware of these "route add" and "route print" commands.

What do you think?

--JorgeA

You can do this with a router if you have one. I would recommend doing it at the router level anyways, especially if you have multiple computers on your network.

IT BEGINS!!!!

Some Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are finding that they can only reschedule and not cancel Windows 10 upgrades.

That’s it, they are forcing Windows 10 without opt-out now!

Reports are circulating that some users are being presented with dialog boxes that only give them the option to start the upgrade process or reschedule it for a later date. Others are finding that the Windows Update screen is only offering them the option to begin the upgrade process, with other system updates being hidden from view.

Is there anything you can do to reverse this situation? Right now there isn’t. Even Josh Mayfield, the maker of the GWX Control Panel — an excellent utility that has previously allowed users to opt out of and avoid the nags to upgrade to Windows 10 — doesn’t have an answer at present.

Where is the fucking CLASS-ACTION SUIT!?!

I don't have that behavior on W7 by the way, I guess it's because I monitor them for anything "GWX" or "telemetry" releated and deselected these updates before they got installed. Those people who didn't do this, get pestered with no opt-out now.

2015-10-1511-21-00.jpg

2015-10-1511-21-24.jpg

That cinches it.  At that level of aggressiveness, basically everyone but software superheros will ultimately succumb.  How glad I am that I Disabled the Windows Update service.

That will STILL leave us software superheros on our own to manage our old systems (and those of our closest friends). 

And we will be an unloved minority.  We're already labeled as "haters with tin foil hats".

Better get a great computer, complete with all hardware upgrades you can imagine you will need in the foreseeable future.  Companies will stop making drivers for Win 7 and 8.x after a majority of folks get coerced onto Windows 10.  How long does a current computer system have to last until there's a rational system with infrastructure to replace it?  Another 5 to 10 years?

How is it there isn't already a RAGING legal battle about this?  Is it because Microsoft is giving away the software?  Isn't this practice destroying the value of existing older operating system licenses?

-Noel

I am shocked everything is so relaxed currently.

When Windows 8 appeared, the outrage was FAR bigger. W8 had a shitty UI, but Windows 10 is far far far worse in the creepy-alley and not much outrage this time.

Is it because usability is more important than privacy for most people? or is because everyone is exhausted after the Windows 8 battle? I actually think it's the latter. I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 8 was a sneaky plan of sorts: Make a bad Windows version on purpose, be obnoxious about it, so that people get worked up about it and will be too tired to be worked up about the FAR WORSE THING coming after W8.

By the way:

ms-onedrive-nsa-prism.jpg

Newsflash:
It was an “accident”.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-admits-error-after-some-windows-781-pcs-began-windows-10-upgrade-automatically
All of this was the result of an unfortunate error on Microsoft’s part, as a statement from the company explained:

—-

As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel. This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check.

—-

You should now find that the Windows 10 upgrade option is unchecked on Windows Update – although there’s always the chance that it will take a few hours for everything to return to normal. But do keep an eye on Windows Update – if you still see that checkbox being pre-ticked in the days ahead, be sure to let us know.

Yea, I don’t buy it. No “optional update” is ever checked by default. Ever. That was deliberate, and they probably only scale back after some outrage happened.
Edited by Formfiller

From the guy who spies on you and puts malware on your computer without consent:

Be a source of energy for others: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella’s lesson for the youth of India

"I do believe in the long run EQ (emotional quotient) does trump IQ (intelligence quotient). For without the ability to be a source of energy for the others very little can be accomplished,"

He summed it up by saying that you have to fall in love with your work and find meaning in what you do. Nadella quoted Mahatma Gandhi to drive this message in: "Live everyday as if it is your last day and learn as if you will live for ever."

Here's an intriguing technique that maybe could be used to block connections to Microsoft telemetry servers.

I was not aware of these "route add" and "route print" commands.

What do you think?

--JorgeA

You can do this with a router if you have one. I would recommend doing it at the router level anyways, especially if you have multiple computers on your network.

Thanks, Trip.

What would be a good source of information/explanation as to how to use these commands? In my limited experience with them, router manuals aren't exacly a model of clarity.

--JorgeA

Microsoft Support Says “Get Windows 10” App Is Malware, Wants $120 to Remove It

First, the Get Windows 10 app. As you probably heard already, Microsoft’s offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to those running genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 on their PCs. To make the upgrade possible, the company installs an application called “Get Windows 10” on these computers via Windows Update, thus displaying notifications in the system tray to check for compatibility issues and let the user know that a newer OS version is available.

What Marvin did in this case was to incorrectly refer to the “Get Windows 10” app as malware and offer the user a subscription to a technical support plan that also provides malware removal services in exchange for $120 per year.

microsoft-support-says-get-windows-10-ap

Get that Marvin a cigar. :thumbup

Newsflash:
It was an “accident”.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-admits-error-after-some-windows-781-pcs-began-windows-10-upgrade-automatically
All of this was the result of an unfortunate error on Microsoft’s part, as a statement from the company explained:

[...]

Yea, I don’t buy it. No “optional update” is ever checked by default. Ever. That was deliberate, and they probably only scale back after some outrage happened.

I totally agree. Their explanation is classic a$$-covering. They tried it to see how much of a reaction there would be, and pulled it when the noise level reached a certain point.

More surprising (because a true "accident") would have been if a desired update had failed to appear on the list of updates or to get downloaded/installed.

--JorgeA

From the guy who spies on you and puts malware on your computer without consent:

Be a source of energy for others: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella’s lesson for the youth of India

"I do believe in the long run EQ (emotional quotient) does trump IQ (intelligence quotient). For without the ability to be a source of energy for the others very little can be accomplished,"

He summed it up by saying that you have to fall in love with your work and find meaning in what you do. Nadella quoted Mahatma Gandhi to drive this message in: "Live everyday as if it is your last day and learn as if you will live for ever."

Well, on that last point anyway he's following Gandhi's advice: he's simply trying to learn as much as possible about each one of his company's customers.  :yes:

On the EQ side, though, he still needs a lot of work, as he keeps ignoring his customers' repeated pleas to stop the spying and to bring back Aero Glass. He may intellectually understand the bit about EQ, but I have to wonder if he really gets it.

--JorgeA

Microsoft Support Says “Get Windows 10” App Is Malware, Wants $120 to Remove It

What Marvin did in this case was to incorrectly refer to the “Get Windows 10” app as malware and offer the user a subscription to a technical support plan that also provides malware removal services in exchange for $120 per year.

[...]

Get that Marvin a cigar. :thumbup

:lol:

In the online chat, Marvin writes that

There are a lot of files and programs that might be infected and also you got this by going into unauthorized website by just clicking on advertisement and I am afraid that the scammer has an access to your computer right now.

Here's the tragic part of all this: The "unauthorized website" that the victim went to, is Windows Updates. The "advertisement" is one (or more) of these updates. The scammer with access to the victim's computer is MSFT.

--JorgeA