Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Newsflash:
It was an “accident”.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-admits-error-after-some-windows-781-pcs-began-windows-10-upgrade-automatically
All of this was the result of an unfortunate error on Microsoft’s part, as a statement from the company explained:

—-

As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel. This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check.

—-

You should now find that the Windows 10 upgrade option is unchecked on Windows Update – although there’s always the chance that it will take a few hours for everything to return to normal. But do keep an eye on Windows Update – if you still see that checkbox being pre-ticked in the days ahead, be sure to let us know.

Yea, I don’t buy it. No “optional update” is ever checked by default. Ever. That was deliberate, and they probably only scale back after some outrage happened.

Even if it was an accident, (which I seriously doubt) this still scares me. This would be the second time in a month that there was an "accident" involving Windows Update. (the other one being the mystery test update that some Windows 7 users received last month) This is starting to become the new normal, and if auto-update is now required, this will do a lot of damage.

Microsoft Support Says “Get Windows 10” App Is Malware, Wants $120 to Remove It

First, the Get Windows 10 app. As you probably heard already, Microsoft’s offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to those running genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 on their PCs. To make the upgrade possible, the company installs an application called “Get Windows 10” on these computers via Windows Update, thus displaying notifications in the system tray to check for compatibility issues and let the user know that a newer OS version is available.

What Marvin did in this case was to incorrectly refer to the “Get Windows 10” app as malware and offer the user a subscription to a technical support plan that also provides malware removal services in exchange for $120 per year.

microsoft-support-says-get-windows-10-ap

Get that Marvin a cigar. :thumbup

Shocking.  Are we really sure that this was a Microsoft employee?  I ask because this is exactly how the Indian "Windows support" scammers write and speak, and very close to the script that most of them follow.  Then again, I have seen some truly outrageous stuff from them over on the Microsoft Answers forum too.

Direct link to the original Reddit thread

Direct link to full set of images

Looking through the rest of the images, the guy turned down the paid support offer and ironically, Microsoft then emailed him the (partial) instructions how to disable GWX for free.  CROOKS!

Newsflash:
It was an “accident”.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-admits-error-after-some-windows-781-pcs-began-windows-10-upgrade-automatically
All of this was the result of an unfortunate error on Microsoft’s part, as a statement from the company explained:

—-

As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel. This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check.

—-

You should now find that the Windows 10 upgrade option is unchecked on Windows Update – although there’s always the chance that it will take a few hours for everything to return to normal. But do keep an eye on Windows Update – if you still see that checkbox being pre-ticked in the days ahead, be sure to let us know.

Yea, I don’t buy it. No “optional update” is ever checked by default. Ever. That was deliberate, and they probably only scale back after some outrage happened.

Even if it was an accident, (which I seriously doubt) this still scares me. This would be the second time in a month that there was an "accident" involving Windows Update. (the other one being the mystery test update that some Windows 7 users received last month) This is starting to become the new normal, and if auto-update is now required, this will do a lot of damage.

"It was a mistake"—and this is the company we are supposed to trust with forced automatic updates in Windows 10?  Microsoft has bricked PCs with their automatic updates before!

Edited by Techie007

^^ As for the folks who got caught in that MS trap and were suddenly confronted by Windows Update demanding to restart the computer in order to finish installing Win10 -- I wonder how (if) they were able somehow to avoid completing the installation. Or did they have to finish it and then revert to Win7?

--JorgeA

... we will be an unloved minority.  We're already labeled as "haters with tin foil hats" ...

giphy.gif

... Better get a great computer, complete with all hardware upgrades you can imagine you will need in the foreseeable future.  Companies will stop making drivers for Win 7 and 8.x after a majority of folks get coerced onto Windows 10 ...

^ Exactly what I'm focused on currently.

The writing is on the wall, just look at Wintel sabotaging W7 installation on Skylake ...

MS almost triggered the fall-out:

Windows7-Pro machines on our DOMAIN network presented the Windows10 upgrade as important, and hid all other Patch-Tuesday updates. We had not registered for the upgrade, and I had deleted the hidden folders on the few that did download it, but nevertheless, MS were still going to try and push it to us.

The writing is on the wall

MS is admirable in a certain evil-doer way. I can't think of any company in recent times which behaved like that in such an overly obvious way. Monsanto and Nestle aren't nice, but they exploit the third-world, while MS exploits their own paying customers!

"We have you by your asses, and you can't do anything about it, lol".

"Don't like the spying? What ya you gonna do, punk?! Look how your whole network infrastructure depends on our software. Shove it!"

They don't frigging care anymore, and they basically admit outright. Aside from DX 12, Windows 10 offers no improvements over Windows 7, and they know it, as seen by their ads ("multi-do"). And they don't care! They also flaunt it in your face in the EUA that everything you do on your computer will be processed by their own data centers for ads and spying. They aren't even concealing it in the slightest.

And their response for the lack of consumer interest due all this? Force them, whether they want it or not. Your settings and preferences are meaningless! Don't expect any DOJ and EU regulators to stop us, we are spying for them!

You are our property if you install Windows 10! And we will force you to install it!

It's almost beautiful in a real perverted, morbid way.

NuMicrosoft is like an "evil corporation" from these cyberpunk-dystopias coming to live. Almost awesome.
Edited by Formfiller

While I agree with you quite adamantly (and believe me I appreciate finding like-minded folks), I also think that they're among the most adept mediocrity managers on the planet.  No one leverages junkware as well.

I mean, at least SOME of what they've done (or more accurately, NOT done - i.e., create anything new of value) must be because their low-paid millennial programmers simply can't - it's beyond them to write code that even shades and rounds the corners of buttons or deal with resizeable rectangles.  So what does Microsoft do?  Get out the industrial sized lipstick.

24244d1373067958t-windows-8-1-first-look

-Noel

I also think that they're among the most adept mediocrity managers on the planet.  No one leverages junkware as well.

Maybe, but I begin to appreciate them in their over-the-top evilness. It's like rooting for Darth Vader or Hannibal Lecter. NuMicrosoft (W8 era) was retarded, but this EvilMicrosoft (W10 era) has its qualities, don't you think?

The events of the past few days were like:

"Windows 10 installed on this computer without any confirmation - my printer doesn't work anymore and I can't even access some documents!"

MS: "We pressed the wrong button, and it's your fault for still using W7 anyway! NOT SORRY!"

Lovely, isn't it?!

I guess lots of people will deactivate Windows Update now. Given EvilMicrosoft's behavior so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they would develop a virus to bring unpatched Windows 7 machines down and brag about it one week later:

"Yeah, we did this worm!

And we're proud of it! Now you can see what an insecure POS your beloved Windows 7 is! You should be f***ing grateful. Oh by the way, please don't turn off your PCs because the worm is currently upgrading your junk-machine to Windows 10 while you're reading this.

With hate,

Satya and team."

Dotmatrix on Neowin: "What's up with all the trolling in this thread? Maybe you ungrateful idiots should go to Apple and Google where you belong - don't you know how much it costs to develop a worm like that? Microsoft provided this virus FOR FREE to show you how insecure Windows 7 and 8 are, and they are offering a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 at the same time.. and you're still bitching?!!!

Check your entitlement!

Edited by Formfiller

Dotmatrix on Neowin: "What's up with all the trolling in this thread? Maybe you ungrateful idiots should go to Apple and Google where you belong - don't you know how much it costs to develop a worm like that? Microsoft provided this virus FOR FREE to show you how unsecure Windows 7 and 8 are, and they are offering a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 at the same time.. and you're still bitching?!!!

Check your entitlement!

I really can see that being said over there...  :thumbdown

--JorgeA

[...] I guess lots of people will deactivate Windows Update now. Given EvilMicrosoft's behavior so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they would develop a virus to bring unpatched Windows 7 machines down and brag about it one week later: [...]

I think I've said this before somewhere but you'll forgive me for repeating myself: antivirus programs nowadays - at least some major ones, but not only - will reenable Automatic Updates on their own will, without asking permission from the user and without notifying.

I've recently downloaded and run TrendMicro's Sysclean and Rootkit Buster just to check on some folders copied over from a potentially suspect machine. Later on I found undesired processes running (cmd.exe, setup.exe) which had no place there and then. Unwinding the paths I found a .NET 4.0 installation folder prepared to install itself silently as well as a log file counting the attempts at update performed by Automatic Update.

This all happened behind my back with no notification whatsoever, while I am on a metered connection! How is one to trust an antivirus nowadays?!

And yes, it wouldn't be far-fetched at all for M$ to contract (again?) some skilled hackers to blow up the unprotected systems while readily providing the "optimal" solution: "upgrade" to SpywareOS Windows10.

Sometimes I wonder if the '10' bit doesn't actually mean "you're in a binary world now: either take it (our spywareOS) or leave it (the Internet scene)".

And there's another question knocking on the doors of my mind: what's in store (ironic pun) for XP users, once Win7/8/8.1 users have been assimilated…?

Let's add one more to the fanboys' efforts: today only, in four occasions I had to retrieve MSFN mail notifications (most of them from this topic) from the Spam folder. And this is not the first time at all. It's an AOL account.

Are M$ fanboys massively marking MSFN notifications as spam, or is AOL under their stronghold? (I'd bet on both, though)