Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

To me it seems like their laboratory testing provides results COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the BILLIONS datapoints.

This might mean that they suck (big) at designing lab experiments OR that the Surface burns LOTS of mW! :w00t::ph34r:

And they do have the guts to write that "The billions of data points from these devices are consistent with the lab results,"

jaclaz

they think we are fool but that we are absolutely not

On 6/20/2016 at 7:40 PM, NoelC said:

Unfortunately, not quite.  It can't run any recent version of Adobe software (e.g., Photoshop) after CS6, for example.  And I believe a lot of games require newer graphics implementations than XP can offer.  I have moved my own graphics products (which are pretty much tied to Photoshop) ahead so that they simply refuse to install on Windows XP.  It's not because I dislike XP - I need a modern OpenGL implementation, guaranteed SSE2 instruction support for performance, the GDI+ subsystem for UI work, and a number of other things under the covers such as solid 64 bit support (and yes, I know about XP x64 and used it for a long time).

In short, technology marches on, and software starts to need advancements the older system doesn't support.

However, if you look at XAML/UWP/the App ecology in a hard light, there's really no technology advancement, just rearrangement of the chairs - which equates pretty clearly to no "must have" Apps becoming available so far.  That being said, there IS only one place you can run DirectX 12, so it's clear Microsoft isn't completely unaware of how things play out.  And, looking forward, they like to think everyone's going to want a Hololens and to talk with Cortana.  They're not completely wrong about that.  So the present situation of "Win7/8.1 is good enough to keep using" isn't going to keep forever.

I think their main shortcoming is simply their limitations of technical capability.  Doing software and systems that are truly useful just isn't easy.

Does Win 10 have enough "new innovation" to start becoming an attractive environment for cutting edge software that can/will only run exclusively on Win 10 and above?  That's the ultimate question.  So far, since Microsoft simply isn't able to execute at a cutting edge level, not so much.  I haven't heard of any App yet that I want or need or can't find an alternative for in the desktop world. 

But time will change that.  In time, Microsoft will ultimately succeed at changing the definition of "normal".  I'm not playing devil's advocate, just taking a realistic look ahead - much as what Glenn9999 has done above. 

The bottom line question is this:  How many years do we have for Microsoft to mold Windows 10 into something we want / need?

-Noel

Dude Next Year , We all will have these citing edge thing in XP. My Friend is coming.

Opera seems to disagree: http://betanews.com/2016/06/22/opera-makes-dodgy-battery-claims/ Anyway the point is Opera, which is Chrome++ as far as features are concerned comes close in battery life to GarbEdge which is so horrible and so lacking in features compared to even IE that one would be depressed seeing such a bad browser from Microsoft and completely lose trust in their ability to ever build a decent one. They may have a state-of-the-art rendering engine and fast Javascript engine but those aren't the only things that count. Building a user interface that people can enjoy also matters. Features matter.

Edited by xpclient

Well, until similar tests are done independently, the manufacturer will always test its own browser in an "optimized" setup comparing it against the other ones with "default" settings.

With all due respect for the good Opera guys the 22% or so increase in battery life is almost as unbelievable as the more than the (reversed)  50% Microsoft published, still it sounds more reasonable.

BUT the big difference may lie in the OS.

MS tested Edge on Windows 10 (obviously), so it is well possible that Edge is optimized for Windows 10 and Windows 10 is optimized for Edge, or even that the Surface Book )or it's drivers/whatever) are optimized for both Windows 10 and Edge.

I wouldn't go as far as proposing that Windows 10 (or the Surface Book) specifically makes non MS browsers burn more battery power, but it is a possibility :whistle:, in any case it is just like (say) Shell stating that their fuel allows for more mileage after having tested it on a self-manufactured car specially designed for the specific fuel, it makes little sense until the same fuel is tested on other cars, the only problem being that the other cars (with - say - the more common Windows 7 engine) cannot run with that fuel...

jaclaz

What am I missing?  Don't both posts say the same thing?

Did Dona think that @windowsinsider was saying build 14372 is released for RTM or something?  It DID say "Windows Insider" and "Fast ring" after all.

-Noel

Oh, right, I see - it's that Microsoft thinks that a release of its operating system merits being in the same sentence as "#NinjaCat", and that announcement of a build should be done over some kind of Twitbook or whatever portal.

It's nice to see people enjoying their jobs, just as long as they do them well.

-Noel

17 minutes ago, helpdesk98 said:

Windows 10 is not ready for main stream! Just admit it MS! I wish they would take a step back and take a breath and move forward not forgetting the lessons learned from the past.

They're like The Terminator -- laser-focused on their objective and totally unconcerned with the destruction they wreak in the process.

--JorgeA

Dedoimedo found that setting up a new user account in Windows 10 downloaded crapware onto his PC:

Windows 10 user management - Account Savant

The login took several minutes, as Windows 10 was busy preparing the user environment. What this effectively means is, if you have an Internet connection, Windows 10 will download all sorts of useless stuff and populate your account. As you can see from the desktop screenshot, all sorts of crap have been added to the system. Now, why would I ever be interested in these promo semi-adware semi-spyware nonsense programs? Google Play Music on a desktop? What?

It gets worse. The menu is there, and it features all the stupidity you can imagine. Flipping live tiles, stupid news that tell us what happened in moronland, promotional s***, games designed for people with unpaired chromosomes, trialware that does nothing useful, and other associated digital diarrhea.

Just as PC manufacturers get paid a small fee by software vendors to put their programs on newly built computers, I wonder if MSFT gets paid for adding all this stuff to people's already existing Win10 installations.

--JorgeA

The fad for ignoring user's clearly stated preferences is spreading:

Why can't 'no' just mean 'no' when it comes to free software?

"Installation Complete", says the message. Now I can start defragging. Before I do though, the program would like to check the system for errors and remove junk files, optimize the computer for maximum performance, and increase internet speed and keep my PC secure. I just need to click "Finish" to run a free scan.

This all looks like part of the setup, but hold on a minute. A minuscule "i" next to the "Run a free scan" check box reveals the truth. By leaving this box checked, I’m agreeing to install Auslogics BoostSpeed. A program which I HAVE ALREADY SAID NO TO.

A good question:

Whatever happened to making a piece of software good, so users would choose to install it? Why do we now have to be tricked into installing something? How can that possibly be seen as a good idea? Happy customers will be returning customers. Unhappy customers will look elsewhere, and rightly so.

--JorgeA