Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

At least, if they try to do this on 7 or 8.1, all that it will take to prevent that would be to not install that update in the first place. (or just uninstall the update after it gets installed)

That's my opinion, too: up to 8.1, one can defend one's own install/machine from morphing into 10.

But, once one decides to use 10 instead, all one's bases are belong to MS.

... meanwhile in Mattel ... :whistle::w00t::ph34r:

http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issue-sections/15018/hello-barbie-security-concerns/

The only senceful use of that thingy might be as a replacement (non-) clay target for skeet practicing.... PULL!

jaclaz

Yeah, I can see that doll being used for all sorts of mischief.

Suppose that a little kid engages in some of that "role play" and fantasizing that they discuss in the article, and the role-playing has to do with getting abused by Mom. Or the kid simply just got yelled at, and is taking out its frustrations by talking to Barbie and saying slanderous things about Dad. It could be a gold mine for enterprising lawyers.

The risks far outweigh the benefits IMHO.

--JorgeA

Still OT, but somehow related and JFYI:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/when-children-are-breached-inside-the-massive-vtech-hack/

When children are breached—inside the massive VTech hack 4.8 million records from a Hong Kong toy company were compromised.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/12/man-arrested-in-toymaker-hack-says-he-wanted-to-expose-inadequate-security/
UK police said they have arrested a 21-year-old man in connection to the November breach of electronic toymaker VTech, a hack that exposed personal data of almost 12 million people, including gigabytes worth of headshot photos and chat logs for millions of kids and parents.

It is probable that the kid (the arrested  21-year-old man) was just playing with the thing, and it got out of control, apart from the possible consequences he faces, the issue is IMHO of great importance, we are talking of millions of e-mails, personal data and more:

The breach ultimately exposed data for 11.6 million people, 6.4 million of whom were minors. Personal information for children included their names, gender and birthdates, while details for parents included mailing and e-mail addresses, security questions used for password resets, IP addresses, password data, and download histories. The trove also included headshots and logs of chats between parents and their children. The information was stored in a database for VTech's Learning Lodge app store, which is used by the company's electronic toys. Almost half the compromised accounts belonged to people in North America, VTech’s top market.

... and it's not like such a high level hack was needed to access the data, only a simple, re-known, old SQL injection... :w00t::ph34r:

jaclaz

Technology has advanced.

It has grown out of fashion to pay well for highly-trained employees.

Thus the hackers (who still DO care how things work) have many advantages over the slow-witted, uncaring members of companies who want to pull all our personal information into their cloud server farms.

You want to "sync" my WHAT?  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho.

-Noel

Sadly, the chances of Microsoft doing what you said, are much greater than the chances of them doing what I said. :(

I was wrong, your prayers have been heard, lucky you:

Microsoft’s new Windows 10 upgrade options: ‘Upgrade now’ or ‘Upgrade tonight’

Man oh man. The writer said:

It was relatively innocuous at first, but as months have passed, Microsoft has become increasingly obnoxious. The notifications were all but unavoidable, and now things have truly come to a head.

[...]

After bugging users incessantly, forcing them to download 3-5GB files in the background without their knowledge and even going so far as to launch the upgrade service “accidentally” on some computers, Microsoft is now resorting to the same tactics used by spammers and malware creators to push their software.

The comparison to spammers and malware creators is apt. Check out my reaction to the news here.

--JorgeA

P.S. Microsoft is offering the "option" to "upgrade now" or "upgrade tonight." Precisely what I'd want to be dealing with a week before Christmas with holiday parties, family visits, traveling, shopping and cooking to deal with. Great timing, guys.

Edited by JorgeA

Given that this is a holiday season for many religions, isn't it pretty clear that Microsoft deems the least of their own desires more important than anyone else's needs?  All the bitching and moaning we've been doing since around the time Win 8 pre-released has been vindicated 100 times over.  Maybe 1000.

-Noel

[sarcasm] Come on guys it's the holidays and Microsoft has a present for you and its name is 10; all Microsoft wants from you this holiday season is access to some personal information. It is a two way street you know you get something you give something [End sarcasm]

You can uninstall crapps with the latest version of Classic Shell for free. If you're on those unfortunate OSes (Windows 8/10) that is :P Best if you're on Windows 7. Although that tool is nice for removing apps using a GUI from a Windows WIM image.

I just tried it and was disappointed to find out that, just like Explorer, Classic Shell just hides the apps instead of uninstalling them.  Disk space usage remains the same (or gets even higher) when uninstalling most apps this way.  I've got a 16 GB tablet running Windows 10, and I need all the disk space I can get!  Truely uninstalling all the apps saves over a gigabyte of disk space.

I just tried it and was disappointed to find out that, just like Explorer, Classic Shell just hides the apps instead of uninstalling them.  Disk space usage remains the same (or gets even higher) when uninstalling most apps this way.  I've got a 16 GB tablet running Windows 10, and I need all the disk space I can get!  Truely uninstalling all the apps saves over a gigabyte of disk space.

When you click "Uninstall" Classic Shell runs a PowerShell command to remove the app (but only for that user account), it doesn't just hide them! Some built-in apps can't be removed and they don't get removed for all users. If your disk space decreased after that for some reason, that might be a problem with DISM failing to uninstall that app. (PowerShell eventually calls DISM).

Also, note that Windows Update is constantly trying to ruin your plans by auto-updating Windows 10. It might reinstall some apps. Every time you do a build upgrade, it will bring them back.

If you use PowerShell directly to uninstall all apps from all user accounts including the provisioned AppX packages, you will save a ton of space.

Edited by xpclient

Yes, that WAS very good, and informative. The bottom line:

I'm looking forward to the day after the 29 July 2016 when people have upgraded and can't go back to see what Microsoft really has in store for them.

:ph34r:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

If you use PowerShell directly to uninstall all apps from all user accounts including the provisioned AppX packages, you will save a ton of space.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but uninstalling for "the current user" seems a bit toothless.

Wouldn't it be cool if Classic Shell were to provide, possibly behind a warning/confirmation dialog, all the power and might to uninstall ANY App, completely (e.g., as described using PowerShell directly)...  The collective knowledge of how to do this is around, though for those of us going through it there are still the occasional loose ends.

Hey, we can dream.

-Noel