Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

@Formfiller: Fabulous summary all around.  :thumbup

Then there are funky recipes for disasters, like you cannot just search for updates anymore. If you search for Windows updates they get automatically installed, and you cannot review them before install nor can you deselect specific updates. Imagine the consequences for troubleshooting drivers and updates, not to mention that Microsoft regularly puts out faulty updates, in light of these realities -  what kind of retard greenlighted the updater in Windows 10?

The way they've been handling Windows Updates is fast becoming a major sticking point with me. Who in their right mind would just push updates willy-nilly to the users, without letting them select the ones they want to install first, or later, or not at all?

Last night my Win10TP test machine received a touchpad driver update. Silly me, I thought I'd get the chance to decide when to install it. (I'd already given up on the idea of deciding whether to install it, let alone download it.) But nooooo -- at some point overnight, the machine rebooted all on its own. What if I'd been in the middle of a large download, a program compilation, or some other lengthy operation?

I keep thinking/hoping that this is merely a function of Win10's still being at the beta stage, but I don't remember seeing any indication that Microsoft intends to bring back user choice with respect to when and whether to install updates.

This is the opposite of user-friendly: it's user-hostile.

--JorgeA

One small improvement amid all the wreckage and madness:

Windows 10: Jump Lists make a return to the Start Menu

Microsoft has said countless times that features such as being able to resize the Start Menu, drag and drop programs, and use Jump Lists would make a return eventually. The ability to drag and drop programs is now back in build 10041, however there's still no sign of Jump Lists or resizing. Well, sort of. You can enable early code for the new Jump Lists feature in build 10041, and it works much like you'd expect.

--JorgeA

I've managed to uninstall it, but that ability is not overtly provided.  You have to run an uninstaller from within a folder within the Windows tree of folders.

Whether that form of uninstallation will work in the release is anyone's guess.

Edit:  If it's going to be this ingrained in Windows, it's not hard to imagine Windows just not working without it before long.  The implication here is that not everyone wants full cloud integration, but Microsoft no longer cares about such folks.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

The less Microsoft cares about my preferences (along with those of so many others), the less I (and so many others) care about Microsoft.

It may be tolerable having SkyDrive stealing my CPU cycles, so long as I don't actually have to store anything on it. But in combination with what's shaping up to be unavoidable Windows Updates, plus the ongoing hostility toward Aero Glass and a real Start Menu, the decision looks to be clear.

BTW the trend toward making it harder to avoid updates isn't limited to MSFT. My wife just "upgraded" to Adobe Reader XI on her PC, and now instead of nagging you during every update installation to select the automatic option, you have to drill several menus down into the program itself to reset it away from automatic. :angry:

Updating Acrobat Reader isn't as trivial an issue as one might think. A few years ago they had an infamous update that broke the Search function, and they took months to fix it.

--JorgeA

Here we go again, antother rebranding   :rolleyes:  --

Universal Apps Will Be Branded as Windows Apps

First it was Metro, then it was Modern, next it was Universal, at some point it was Windows Store apps, and now it's Windows Apps. A t*rd by any other name...

I propose we go with @jaclaz's original moniker of NCI.  (Look up what it stands for in the Win8 Deeper Impressions thread. ;) )

Soon, though, the right name for them might become Nobody Cares Apps.

--JorgeA

Sure is getting depressing watching things worse​ than our fears materialize.

It dawned on me all of Redmond must just be kids playing with their phones and tablets any more.

-Noel

OneDrive will be integrated with Windows 10 rather than as an app

The question naturally then becomes whether users will have a way to disable this feature without having to jump through a lot of hoops.

There doesn't seem to be a clear answer yet.

--JorgeA

My main complaint about OneDrive now is that you can't just click a box and upload. For Windows 7 you need to have the program installed, which then designates a folder that synchs with the online storage. That's fine for if I am on that one computer, but then I can't use other computers to upload files to that.

Just found this 'interesting' piece of info:

Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality

"... The precise final specs are not available yet, so all this is somewhat subject to change, but right now, Microsoft says that the switch to allow Secure Boot to be turned off is now optional. Hardware can be Designed for Windows 10 and can offer no way to opt out of the Secure Boot lock down ...

... This doesn't cut out Linux entirely —there have been some collaborations to provide Linux boot software with the "right" set of signatures, and these should continue to work— but it will make it a lot less easy ..."

Edited by TELVM

The above info provided by TELVM, if you read between the lines, seems to me a lot like:

Q:How can we make sure people will progressively stop using XP, Vista or 7 (and possibly even 8/8.1)?

A. Let me think... :unsure: Hmmm, what if we manage the large hardware manufacturers into introducing a new form of boot authentication in such a way that only OS released after Summer 2015 will be able to be used on them?

We may call it POP, Planned Obsolence Provision , no better ESB (Enhanced Secure Boot, and we love acronyms as they sound so cool) this way we convey to the sheep the idea that we are increasing their security and we can market the idea having them actually pay some money for it.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz