Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

... added to Android all the things that the good MS guys are trying desperately to remove from Windows ... ... Windowsizing Android ...

Nature abhors a vacuum. :yes:

Sure, but are *YOU* changing the OS you use on your primary system?

Heck, no :w00t:, at least not any soon, you are the one that keeps up to date, I am the old caveman that goes on with what works for him. (more modest good-enough computing philosophy)

I upgraded to XP (from 2000) in 2007 or 2008 (due to a new PC and missing drivers, etc.), my next step will probably be to upgrade in one or two years time to Windows 7, and I would most probably be fine until at the very least 2020 :yes:.

Since we are going to make predictions, it is well possible that by then Linux (or even Android :unsure:) might be fulfilling my needs even on my primary machine.

Microsoft has us by the short hairs and they know it.

Not me :no:, and only partially due to the lack of a base requisite (the short hairs).

jaclaz

Windows 7 still dominates in Windows market share, Windows 8.1 sees slight increase

A year after its demise, Windows XP still has more users than Windows 8 and 8.1 combined

Windows 7 holds a total market share of 58.04 %, an increase from last month's 55.99% share, making it the most dominant desktop operating system for quite some time now.

According to NetMarketShare, Windows XP still holds a market share of 16.94% as of March 2015. In the same report it shows that Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 hold a combined market share of 14.07%.

post-287775-0-00571300-1428088790_thumb.

As new PCs start coming out with Windows 10 once it's officially released, it'll be interesting to see how Windows 7 holds up. I sense it's going to maintain its majority share of the user base for years to come.

--JorgeA

Another casualty of Microsoft's ill-conceived "all-in for mobile" strategy:

Windows RT: Ambitious beginning, quick descent

In October of 2012, Microsoft released Windows RT but what followed will be remembered for years to come as a major strategy shift for Windows that ultimately failed. Plagued with branding issues, a confusing message to consumers and a Windows Store that never materialized, Windows RT left Microsoft in a troubled position.

When Windows RT was announced, the OS was supposed to represent the future for computing and for Microsoft, where users lived inside a modern environment that moved away from the classic desktop scenarios, which Windows had embraced for decades. The idea was simple, by locking down the OS to Windows Store apps like iOS and to some extent, Chrome OS, the virus-plagued history of Windows XP would be ushered away.

But the result was a confusing message to consumers and a product that was a second-class citizen in the Windows world.

--JorgeA

My Win10TP system has a network monitor Windows Gadget installed. Can anybody offer an educated guess as to why it's is downloading so much more stuff than it is uploading?

I could understand the Technical Preview UPloading more than it's downloading, as it's intended to monitor how well the new OS works. But DOWNloading? What could account for that?

Attaching a screenshot. I wasn't deliberately downloading anything at the time, nor are there are (AFAIK) any programs installed that would involve this sort of continuous small-scale downloading activity.

post-287775-0-85470400-1428204840_thumb.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Possibly Windows Defender updates.  There are one to several a day.

I've set my Group Policy to ask me before downloading, which finally seems to work (with build 10049), so I see them.

-Noel

I'm pretty sure they're not Windows Updates, as I too tweaked the GP settings to ask before downloading them.

The mystery continues. I should observe the downloading activity more systematically -- my impression is that it's amounting to ~100MB a day. Oh, wait: I do have that screenshot above to compare to! :)

Whoa -- according to the Network Monitor gadget, I've downloaded an additional 217MB of whatever in the last 16 hours. :huh:

--JorgeA

Other things I can think of, just off the top of my head...

• Skype, transferring directory information and possibly even other people's data?  Did you disable Supernode status?
  • Windows Update querying the web for whether updates are available?
  • Windows Update participating in peer-peer delivery of Windows Updates?
  • Information being gathered for live tiles?
  • Ad data retrieved for display in Metro/Modern Apps?

What happens if you unpin all live tiles from your Windows Start Menu?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Thanks for the ideas, Noel. Here are some answers that I hope will help:

• Skype, transferring directory information and possibly even other people's data?  Did you disable Supernode status?

Yes, I had disabled Supernode.

• Windows Update querying the web for whether updates are available?

Conceivable, but it seems an awful lot of downloading just to see if there are any updates. More so than the size of the updates themselves, even.

• Windows Update participating in peer-peer delivery of Windows Updates?

Huh, I hadn't thought of that one. But if so, then why is the incoming activity so much bigger than the outgoing (P2P) activity? You'd think they would balance each other out? :unsure:

• Information being gathered for live tiles?
  • Ad data retrieved for display in Metro/Modern Apps?

What happens if you unpin all live tiles from your Windows Start Menu?

Responding to these three together: I installed Classic Shell's Start Menu, but I was down to four tiles in the right panel of the pseudo-Start Menu (Windows Feedback, Insider Hub, and two others that I can't remember now). But no "live" tiles were involved. Certainly I had disabled (or at least hidden) Cortana and that stupid "feature" where Search would give you headlines from Bing.

Pretty much the only times I ever opened a Metro app (other than Feedback or Insider) was by mistake. Maybe the sheer act of clicking one of these will set off this continuous downloading of who-knows-what?

Or maybe some of the other apps (like Weather) just automatically download data independently of the user's actions. However, if so, then that's bound to wreak havoc on people's computers down the road as their drives slowly fill up with stuff (as is happening to me).

Hope this helps to narrow down the possibilities.

Is there a way (native or third-party) to monitor where the bits getting downloaded are coming from?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

I ran the "legacy" Task Manager (available from within the WinRE environment) for a time yesterday and saw hundreds of megabytes downloaded.

Today I'm running it along with Resource Monitor to see if I can spot just what files are being affected.

-Noel

I just caught backgroundTaskHost.exe loading 17 MB of data into files labeled with "Microsoft.BingSports" and "InetCache" in the path.

The takeaway clue is "internet cache" I think.

I have just uninstalled the Sports app, along with a number of other "fluff" Apps like Food and News, and will see if this helps with the unexpected downloads.

Edit:  Another 6 hours and the system accumulated another 11 MB of download.  I think uninstalling those Apps has helped slow things down, though an additional 11 MB isn't anything to sneeze at.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Is there a way (native or third-party) to monitor where the bits getting downloaded are coming from?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/network_traffic_view.html

Of course cannot say if it would work on your 10 "beta" install.

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz, I'll take a look at that utility.

I've been learning a lot by using the Network tab in the Win10 Resource Monitor. It tells you what connections are being made to where at a given moment, with the local and remote addresses involved and the number of bytes sent and received.

One thing that's clear is that the number of bytes being downloaded (according to the Network Monitor gadget) is much larger than the ones that Resource Monitor shows. Assuming that the Gadget's numbers are accurate (and my HDD has lost 100MB of free space over the last day or so), then there are "hidden" connections taking place that Resource Monitor doesn't see.

I'll install NetworkTrafficView and see how its info compares to Resource Monitor.

--JorgeA