Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Posted the "ugly" post to Channel9 as well, fanboy hillarity ensues:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Windows-10-metro-is-butt-ugly

It takes all kinds.  Some people think butts are beautiful.

But in this world, common sense isn't.  Yes, there are people who mob together for no reason other than fashion and mob mentality.  I doubt they even think at the level of "get on the bandwagon" or "side with a winner".  It's just a natural thing, probably a result of a deep emotional insecurity that somehow a few of us have gotten past.

Who'd have thought that stupidity would end up eclipsing reality when collective consciousness was achieved through better information flow and connectedness?

-Noel

Ah, I see you're on the Channel9 thread as well.

cbae and kettch appeared. These are the users we're talking about here. These guys will approve anything MS puts out. And I mean it. Back during the xbone fiasco, they advocated every idiotic MS move, even the craziest 1984esque stuff like always-on infrared cameras.

And here's kettch claiming Windows RT was a success.. in 2015.

A social scientist would have a field day with some of the guys there.

Edited by Formfiller

Out of curiosity, I have photoshopped the Aero Glass, Classic and Luna themes onto Windows 10, and believe it or not, it makes Windows 10 look much better.

Windows 7 Aero Glass theme:

9XY5zJL.png

Windows Classic theme:

Fi0HI7C.png

Windows XP Luna theme:

zm5eA4o.png

What do you guys think?

With some effort you can actually get that to work.  See the section on this forum about Aero Glass for Win 8+.  Big Muscle has not only implemented an Aero Glass resurrection, but also some software to facilitate theme replacement.

-Noel

Out of curiosity, I have photoshopped the Aero Glass, Classic and Luna themes onto Windows 10, and believe it or not, it makes Windows 10 look much better.

[...]

What do you guys think?

Gorgeous!!  Nice work. :thumbup

Must have taken quite a while to put these together. I appreciate your taking the time to show what Windows 10 could be.

Any of these themes is light-years ahead of Metro flatness in beauty, but of course my favorite one is the Aero Glass theme.

Thanks very much. :yes:

--JorgeA

The tech headline of the year:

Microsoft needs to cut the mobile cancer from Windows 10

In the new world of Microsoft there has been a distinct shift in focus; Satya Nadella has said that the company's focus is a "mobile-first, cloud-first" strategy. This is all well and good -- and in many ways makes a great deal of sense -- but there is a very real danger that Microsoft is focusing too much on these new goals and to the detriment of other areas.

Windows 10 is an excellent case in point. This is an operating system that is destined for a wide range of devices, from phones and tablets to desktops, consoles and IoT devices yet to be devised. But in catering to the mobile side of its dream for the future, Microsoft has lost direction for desktop users and has made far too many compromises.

In particular, Microsoft use of screen space and screen orientations is questionable.[...]

As well as looking as though someone has slapped a Lumia handset to your screen, the Alarms & Clocks also demonstrates how space-hungry Microsoft's designs have become. Yep... I'm talking modern apps. These are not new to Windows 10, of course, but their design has certainly not improved. Look to Weather, Calendar, Project Spartan/Edge and the like. Everything is just gigantic! Why not shrink the fonts, put screen elements on a diet and you can fit more information into the same amount of space? Why should I have to scroll around or click through to different sections just because everything is so huge that there's no enough room to show what I want to see?

You see, the problems with Windows 10 are not just about aesthetics, they're about usability. More scrolling and clicking to get around, more mouse travel, these all add up to make simple, every day tasks take longer than they need to. My life has been made harder rather than easier. 'Move with the times, you dinosaur!' I hear you cry, but my complaints are quite valid. I'm having to do more work to achieve the same results. You call that progress?

Windows Phone is an abomination. It has been for... well, forever, really. Let's not ruin Windows 10 by letting this cancer creep onto the desktop as well.

:thumbup  :thumbup  :thumbup

--JorgeA

One thing I can tell from a lot of these screenshots (which I suspect are coming from people testing on desktops with normal size displays) is that there is a lot of wasted or whitespace in cpls, notifications, or what not.

Someone at Microsoft has trouble thinking complex enough thoughts to imagine that maybe the interface could actually be scaled so that it doesn't take up so much room on a PC.

It's not the engineers, though...  There's actually a registry setting that will do it (I use it set to 85% and have been considering lowering that number).  There's some retard (likely in Marketing) over there who thinks that since a panel requires the whole screen on a phone it should require almost the whole screen on a PC or the "experience will be too different".

I liken the current trend to when the auto industry decided to make supremely ugly, boxy cars with too-small wheels in the last quarter of the last century.  Everyone on Earth looked at them and struggled to keep their breakfast down, yet somehow we HAD to go through a "style reset" so that they could then start improving the appearances again.

6414508016c0d1433edf346afccf0650.jpg

-Noel

Oh darn.

People at Microsoft are really starting to hate the messengers.  Must be frustrating to work there.

This is nothing less than the beginning of the end of Microsoft.  Or maybe the middle (considering Win 8).

The funny thing is that I am one of the few folks who make posts that describe ways I've been able to get Windows 10 to actually work, and I make statements like "I'll probably be able to use this".  It's been shown time and again that it doesn't matter if you are contributing anything useful.  The fangirls are simply offended if you don't join them on the bandwagon.

62476-425x282-Broken-Down-Wagon.jpg

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Well, they really went and did it this time.

Why Microsoft is calling Windows 10 'the last version of Windows'

Microsoft has been discussing the idea of Windows as a service, but the company hasn't really explained exactly how that will play out with future versions of Windows. That might be because there won't really be any future major versions of Windows in the foreseeable future. Microsoft has altered the way it engineers and delivers Windows, and the initial result is Windows 10. Instead of big releases, there will be regular improvements and updates. Part of this is achieved by splitting up operating system components like the Start Menu and built-in apps to be separate parts that can be updated independently to the entire Windows core operating system. It's a big undertaking, but it's something Microsoft has been actively working on for Windows 10 to ensure it spans across multiple device types.

Edited by rn10950