Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

dencorso

Newest Adobe Flash and Shockwave, and Java, too!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, someguy25 said:

Java has been updated to Java 8 Update 211:)

... and with it came a revised Oracle Licensing Agreement:

Oracle Technology Network License Agreement for Oracle Java SE

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

You seem to have to have an Oracle account now to download the files,
There now seems to be no way of getting the Update 212 files without having an account with Oracle.

As usual, I went directly to the Oracle download page to manually fetch latest installers for both 8u211 & 8u212

Java SE Runtime Environment 8 Downloads

On Vista, both continue to work as intended; with every new JRE release, I would archive both and install either one (mostly the odd-numbered one...); latest release files were, up-until-now, publicly available, whereas the immediately previous and older releases, available via the Oracle Java archive, required an Oracle account :angry:... 

While the latest, Windows 7+, 64-bit (only), compatible Java (JDK) offerings are still publicly available (i.e. accessible without an Oracle account), I, like @Dave-H, soon found out, to my substantial dismay :realmad:, that the current/latest JRE 8u211/8u212 files are now behind a mandatory Oracle account! :angry::realmad::thumbdown:thumbdown

Then I had a read of the "Updated Licensing FAQs" over at

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overview/oracle-jdk-faqs.html

from which I quote:

What about Java SE 8?
Oracle Java SE8 updates, which includes the Oracle JRE with Java Web Start, continues to be free for personal use, development, testing, prototyping, demonstrating and some other important uses explained in this FAQ under the OTN License Agreement for Java SE. Personal users can continue downloading the Oracle Java SE 8 JRE at java.com.

... Off to java.com I go, then... :dubbio:; the problem with that download page is that, for Windows users at least, it only provides 32-bit (and 64-bit) installers, and only for the odd-numbered JRE version (8u211) :(:angry:; this already constitutes a limitation for Windows XP SP3 users, for whom the provided installers don't function at all; XP users need access to jre-8u21x-windows-i586.tar.gz archives in order to update their installations... :(

Also, in the Java Development Kit 8 Update Release Notes they mark both 8u211 and 8u212 versions as being (GA): "General Availability"; isn't that a distorted sense of the term "general", given that login-credentials are now required? :realmad:

If you don't want to create an account with Oracle, I found file jre-8u212-windows-i586.exe FREELY available over at FileHorse; just be careful not to download their proprietary downloader (2.6MiB) but the actual Java installer (66.4MiB - use the "if it doesn't click here to start it" page link ;)). 

For the .tar.gz archives, I'm afraid an account is needed (I'm not advising others to do the same :sneaky:, but I just visited this site and the first set of credentials there worked fine; for crying out loud, this is a free, "generally-available" file, so I don't feel shame in the slightest...).

Edited by VistaLover
  • Like 1

Has anyone actually got this to install?
:dubbio:
For me it just hangs on "Execute: C:\Windows\system32\Adobe\Director\SwDnld.exe /regserver" and never goes any further.
:no:

6 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Strange; it installed OK for me.

+1. Did you remove it before retrying?

The first time I just installed it over the previous 12.3.4.204 installation, and the installer hung.
I then tried reinstalling 12.3.4.204, and it told me there was a more recent version installed!
As the usual Adobe test page no longer works, it just redirects to the EOL notice, I tried a few other Shockwave test sites, none of which worked as they should, so I assumed the install was corrupt.
Then I uninstalled it, and tried reinstalling 12.3.4.204 which hung again exactly as the 12.3.5.205 installer had done!
I wondered if it was trying to connect to something online and not succeeding, so I uninstalled again and tried installing the latest version again with the internet connection disconnected.
This time it worked, and very quickly!
Whether my theory was right or not I don't know, but it seems to be installed OK now.
:thumbup

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Vistaboy said:

maybe it's time to sticky Java update procedure for XP

Sure. But someone ought to start a dedicated thread and write a cleaned-up how-to procedure for that, don't you agree?
I can contribute a regshot "redo.reg" of the minimum registry changes needed (to be attached soon to this very post) and the picture below...

java5.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, Vistaboy said:

maybe it's time to sticky Java update procedure for XP

Here is a modified REG, see the comments. I have many non edited keys deleted, so do not use it as install ressource.

It is used to switch from v201 to v211, Java program home path is "C:\Programme\Java".

I hold the latest under XP working v151 MSI file for deinstallation in the personal program data path.

Be carefull, it is all I edit in the registry, may be you need other / more / less key names...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

######### delete old key ###########
############## EDITED ##############
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_201]

#### write new key and subkeys #####
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_211]
"JavaHome"="C:\\Programme\\Java"
"MicroVersion"="0"
"RuntimeLib"="C:\\Programme\\Java\\bin\\client\\jvm.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_211\MSI]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Programme\\Java\\"
"JU"=""
"OEMUPDATE"=""
"FROMVERSION"="NA"
"FROMVERSIONFULL"=""
"PRODUCTVERSION"="8.0.2110.12"
"EULA"=""
"JAVAUPDATE"="1"
"AUTOUPDATECHECK"="1"
"AUTOUPDATEDELAY"=""
"FullVersion"="1.8.0_211-b12"

## string for software information #
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JreMetrics]
"JreVersion"="1.8.0_211-b12"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F]
"ProductName"="Java 8 Update 211-b12"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F\SourceList]
"PackageName"="jre1.8.0_211.msi"

# string for software uninstall information #
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F32180151F0}]
"DisplayVersion"="8.0.2110.12"
"InstallDate"="20190420"
############ NOT EDITED ############ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"InstallSource"="C:\\ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \\Oracle\\Java\\jre1.8.0_151\\"
"DisplayName"="Java 8 Update 211"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F\InstallProperties]
"DisplayVersion"="8.0.2110.12"
"InstallDate"="20190420"
############ NOT EDITED ############ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"InstallSource"="C:\\ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \\Oracle\\Java\\jre1.8.0_151\\"
"DisplayName"="Java 8 Update 211"

Edited by Thomas S.
  • Like 1

That are good starting point. I made use of little registry mods. Generally in a fresh installed XP i always launched the last working XP installer (151/152) to install JAVA and then brutally extract the new .exe installer (jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe) and replace it in the programs file. The dream would be a little cmd workaround that automate the process to get last updated java. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:22 AM, sdfox7 said:

Duke University will upload the current version to their FTP

Latest .EXE files (installers) have been uploaded now! :)

http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe
http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u212-windows-i586.exe

But these are valid for Vista+ users, only :angry:; Duke Uni DO NOT upload the .tar.gz archives necessary for XP :( ...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Latest .EXE files (installers) have been uploaded now! :)

http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe
http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u212-windows-i586.exe

But these are valid for Vista+ users, only :angry:; Duke Uni DO NOT upload the .tar.gz archives necessary for XP :( ...

For what its worth, the .exe installers function just fine on XP x64 edtion/Server 2003
http://prntscr.com/nfv7qn

java.png

(note: I believe this installer screenshot is from around the 8u170-era but i can confirm that it still works.)

Edited by i430VX
  • Like 2