Windows 7: Possible, Advisable, to Disable the Page File?

Radish

Whatever :yes:, comparing apples with oranges has been proved to be allowable alright :w00t:):

http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i3/air-1-3-apples.html

jaclaz

That's very cute :). It's a shame that the critical graph is so tiny that you can't tell, at any zoom level, what the author is measuring (X or Y axis). :}

--JorgeA

Maybe next year :unsure: one of these new thingies may provide some x1000 :w00t: improvements.

Cripes, brilliant! Just when Noel's comments had brought me to the brink of seriously considering getting and installing a (I suppose I'd now have say) NAND SSD they start talking about this 3D XPoint SSD. If it's as fast and as durable as they say it is then it will sell like wildfire and the price will tumble too with the volume of sales. Guess I'll hold onto my HDD for now and wait.

Unveiled?  Seems to me 3D memory has been on the verge of bringing us the next big jumps in speed and capacity for a couple of years now.  This certainly isn't the first I've heard of it.

My advice:  Don't wait for new tech to mature.  Everything available is always obsolete.  You'll wait a long time for the price to get just right, look back on what a crappy experience you put yourself through, then at the same time realize some even newer technology is on the horizon.  It's the nature of high tech.

If it helps, think of it as having waited for last decade's new tech (SATA SSDs) to mature.

Just throwing out a thought...  A workable strategy might be:  Get a couple of cheap used SSDs (OCZ Vertex 3 is a good model) and plug 'em into your computer now.  THEN get new 3D XPoint tech when the prices fall.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.X%22Vertex+3%22+120.TRS0&_nkw=%22Vertex+3%22+120&_sacat=0

:)

-Noel

Edit:  FYI, 3 x Vertex 3 120GB on a Dell PowerEdge T20 motherboard with a very modest dual core Pentium G3220 (Haswell) running Win 7 and using only the motherboard SATA connectors to make a RAID 5 (note: optimized for redundancy/reliability, not speed):

Disk_Benchmarks_07-29-2015.png

Edited by NoelC

And, if you want to spend TODAY some good money :ph34r: you can have one of these (provided that the OS and hardware support them :unsure:):

http://www.sandisk.it/enterprise/ulltradimm-ssd/

But yes, used SSD's of (relatively) little size can be found cheap enough and - depending on your use of the system - you do not really need at the same time a fast storage subsystem and a large one, in normal use 100 Gb or so are enough for OS, tools/programs and the "working data".

jaclaz

And, if you want to spend TODAY some good money :ph34r: you can have one of these (provided that the OS and hardware support them :unsure:):

Now THAT's cool!

The performance numbers seem a little low (sequential numbers are 600 / 880 MB/s for read and write).  Have you ever come across test numbers gathered on a system equipped with ULLtraDIMM SSDs?

140K IOPS read based on 4 KByte transfers and ultra low latency to the RAM bus could start to yield that super fast 4K I/O rate that TELVM keeps craving.  There will still be the time it takes for the CPU to go through the file system and hardware drivers, of course.

I kind of wonder, though...  If the system can't do any RAM access outside of the CPU cache while I/O to these DIMMs is occurring, whether this could introduce its own breed of problems.

-Noel

Now THAT's cool!

The performance numbers seem a little low (sequential numbers are 600 / 880 MB/s for read and write).  Have you ever come across test numbers gathered on a system equipped with ULLtraDIMM SSDs?

...and if it turned out that these kinds of drives could work only with the privacy-invading, resource-hogging, customer-contemptuous Windows 10 -- would you still get one?  ;)  (A question for all readers to think about, not directed specifically at you guys.)

--JorgeA

That's very cute :). It's a shame that the critical graph is so tiny that you can't tell, at any zoom level, what the author is measuring (X or Y axis). :}

Well, guess why exactly I am The Finder :whistle:

http://www.improbable.com/2010/09/06/oranges-and-apples-powering-apples/

apples-oranges-spectra.gif

;)

jaclaz

Thank you, that takes care of it!  :thumbup

--JorgeA

...and if it turned out that these kinds of drives could work only with the privacy-invading, resource-hogging, customer-contemptuous Windows 10 -- would you still get one?  ;)  (A question for all readers to think about, not directed specifically at you guys.)

I'd consider it.

Face it, we're all going to be running something else in a few years.

Windows 10 is just another set of technical challenges to overcome in the pursuit of deriving value.

Windows 8 shipped without a Start Menu, a useless Metro subsystem, and a cruddy desktop without Aero Glass, and now it's the OS I'll be sticking with for a while.  Frankly, bleak as things looked in 2012, my computing experience is now the best it's ever been - not because of what Microsoft shipped, but because of what can be done with it.

We already have a thread here where it's been figured out how to thwart the privacy-invading stuff - almost certainly to a level that's better than Windows 7 out of the box (where do you think Microsoft got all that "telemetry" data they misused to justify what they did with Windows 8?).  I have a test system running those tweaks with a local account and UAC disabled, and it's still pretty good for running desktop stuff.

-Noel

We already have a thread here where it's been figured out how to thwart the privacy-invading stuff - almost certainly to a level that's better than Windows 7 out of the box (where do you think Microsoft got all that "telemetry" data they misused to justify what they did with Windows 8?).

If we assume that telemetry data was actually used, judging from results those telemetry data were redirected to the NUL device :w00t: and the good MS guys did whatever (the heck) they intended to do anyway (the alternative could be much more sad, IF they actually used telemetry data and those shaped the current abomination then clearly humanity is doomed, self-destroyed by stupidity).

jaclaz

We already have a thread here where it's been figured out how to thwart the privacy-invading stuff - almost certainly to a level that's better than Windows 7 out of the box (where do you think Microsoft got all that "telemetry" data they misused to justify what they did with Windows 8?).

If that's the case, then I'd like to see the same type of telemetry gathering, privacy-invading stuff blocked for Windows 7 and 8.x. I would think you would, too. :)

Cheers and Regards

I long ago turned off all the overt settings (e.g., "participate in the Customer Experience Improvement Program") on this score, but I have occasionally wondered what's still cranking away in my Win 7 and 8.1 systems under the covers.  I've not taken the time to research it like ptd163 has.

I'm sure much of the stuff listed in the OP of this thread will be applicable.  Figuring out precisely what will be a challenge, but not an insoluble one.  I'm not saying I have time to undertake it just now, but good idea.  Thanks.

-Noel

• 3 weeks later...

... that super fast 4K I/O rate that TELVM keeps craving ...

And with good reason  :yes:  :

Intel 750 PCIe SSD = Worst SSD in the world!

"... The reason the drive is slow is because it is very poor at low queue depth below 4KB ..."

"... It depends on your usage pattern, sure at QD32 it has great 4KB random performance, but if you scale it down to QD1 which is what a normal single user workstation spends it's most time at it's completely horrible! ..."

"... the Intel SSD 750 is not faster than for example a Samsung SM951 M.2 drive in a client workload. The 750 is based on the Intel P3700 server SSD, it's great for server workloads but sucks for client workloads. And the reason is that is has been optimized for very high queue depths, which fits well for heavily loaded servers with very many users on them ..."