Windows 7: Possible, Advisable, to Disable the Page File?

Radish

I would LOVE to have a crack at coding an SSD controller.  It's been my experience that there are few folks in the world who really understand real time programming.

I've done some cool controller stuff in my day, and we sure didn't have these lickety split giga processors everyone enjoys now.

If that's the case, then I'd like to see the same type of telemetry gathering, privacy-invading stuff blocked for Windows 7 and 8.x. I would think you would, too. :)

I can proudly say I do.

Yep, I've just got a "deny by default, with (a few) exceptions" firewall setup working this evening for Win 8.1 (and 10 as of yesterday).  I've already seen some unexpected stuff blocked - though Win 8.1 is NOWHERE NEAR as promiscuous online as Win 10.

-Noel

Yep, I've just got a "deny by default, with (a few) exceptions" firewall setup working this evening for Win 8.1 (and 10 as of yesterday).  I've already seen some unexpected stuff blocked - though Win 8.1 is NOWHERE NEAR as promiscuous online as Win 10.

Thus far, on a scale of 1 (best) to 10 (worst) where Windows 10 is a 10 -- where would you put Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 in terms of "online promiscuity"?

--JorgeA

Hey peeps, just as a reminder :), this thread is (or should be) about pagefile/memory/ram/ssd/speed, not about the great abomination (Windows 10) and it's "online promiscuity", phoning home, firewall, privacy, etc., we have already enough discussion threads about the latter ones....

jaclaz

Come on Jaclaz, only the spanish inquisition would censor a thread just when it's heading to a course as suggestive as "online promiscuity". :D

Sure :), but as you might know one of the dangers of spanish inquisition is that it arrives suddenly, as "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spanish_Inquisition_(Monty_Python)

Now, should it arrive :unsure:, you were warned ;).

jaclaz

Hey peeps, just as a reminder :), this thread is (or should be) about pagefile/memory/ram/ssd/speed

My Windows 10 and 8.1 systems run faster now that they don't spend so much effort spilling the guts of my data to various servers all over the world.

I haven't developed a "deny first" firewall config for Windows 7 - yet - but I can say that if the amount of unneeded network connections regularly attempted by Windows 10 define the scale as 10 out of 10, then Win 8.1 is about a 2 or maybe a little less.  There's a NIGHT and DAY difference.

On the performance front, an anecdote...  Yesterday I chose to move a folder tree containing 250 gigabytes (all my astronomy data) from one volume to another, to better my organization.

Both sets of data were on arrayed SSDs. 

The whole transfer completed in under 10 minutes, and I was able to verify the contents of both sets of data with my filecrc tool (which opens up every file and "adds" up all the bytes) in just a few minutes more.  Not only that, but I was able to do other work without noticing any sluggishness while these activities were going on.

-Noel

• 7 months later...
On domingo, 02 de agosto de 2015 at 5:43 AM, NoelC said:

... that super fast 4K I/O rate that TELVM keeps craving.  ...

Intel Shows Optane (3D XPoint) In A Backup Device At IDF Shenzhen

"... At IDF 2015 in San Francisco Intel displayed a static image of Optane reading random data at 76,000 IOPS using queue depth 1. That is a full 7x improvement over the company's current NVMe-based consumer SSDs ..."

^ NOW we might be talkin'. :w00t:

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2015 at 12:36 PM, TELVM said:

Sorry but I'm not impressed. The 4K read speed (the one that really matter) isn't better than in a decent SATA3 SSD.

Wake me up when some new SSD achieves 100+ MB/s @ 4K read.

Now we're talking:

OqiAkt9G_o.png

Intel Optane SSD 900P Review: 3D XPoint Unleashed

Edited by TELVM