Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

Big Muscle's code attempts to locate the proper locations in the running OS to patch by automatically reviewing the debugging symbols.  But this assumes the code does not already know the proper locations (i.e., after some unspecified future Windows Update changes things).  The current version should show you this in the Debug.log:

[2015-01-29 14:42:30][0x1478:0x11D8] dwmcore.dll version 10.0.9926.0
[2015-01-29 14:42:30][0x1478:0x11D8] udwm.dll version 10.0.9926.0
[2015-01-29 14:42:30][0x1478:0x11D8] Symbols loaded from patterns: 0x7FF

As I said before, make SURE you're running the latest version from the .7z file Big Muscle has made available.

-Noel

Big Muscle's code attempts to locate the proper locations in the running OS to patch by automatically reviewing the debugging symbols.  But this assumes the code does not already know the proper locations (i.e., after some unspecified future Windows Update changes things).  The current version should show you this in the Debug.log:

[2015-01-29 14:42:30][0x1478:0x11D8] dwmcore.dll version 10.0.9926.0

[2015-01-29 14:42:30][0x1478:0x11D8] udwm.dll version 10.0.9926.0

[2015-01-29 14:42:30][0x1478:0x11D8] Symbols loaded from patterns: 0x7FF

As I said before, make SURE you're running the latest version from the .7z file Big Muscle has made available.

-Noel

Yes that is what is in my debug log file the same !

Edited by endbase

Just a small experiment

I updated 64-bit build which now contains new registry DWORD settings called FrameMargin (under DWM key) which influences the left, right and bottom margin of the frame (the top margin is not influenced!). The value is in pixels, default is zero.

Hint: Default Win10 texture for left and right border is 3px wide and all of these pixels are dark. The rightmost pixels for left border (or leftmost pixels are right border) are stretchable when changing border width.  If you increase margin with the new setting, the left and right border will be completely dark for this reason. If you want the left and right border to match the rest of the frame, you need to use your custom atlas file with modified textures for these parts.

It is not sure if this feature works completely for all frame or it does not cause some problems, thus only 64-bit build is available for testing.

Oh, and ignore the frame on "modern" applications - it looks a bit off with increased margins.

Edited by bigmuscle

Just a small experiment

I updated 64-bit build which now contains new registry DWORD settings called FrameMargin (under DWM key) which influences the left, right and bottom margin of the frame (the top margin is not influenced!). The value is in pixels, default is zero.

Hint: Default Win10 texture for left and right border is 3px wide and all of these pixels are dark. The rightmost pixels for left border (or leftmost pixels are right border) are stretchable when changing border width.  If you increase margin with the new setting, the left and right border will be completely dark for this reason. If you want the left and right border to match the rest of the frame, you need to use your custom atlas file with modified textures for these parts.

It is not sure if this feature works completely for all frame or it does not cause some problems, thus only 64-bit build is available for testing.

Oh, and ignore the frame on "modern" applications - it looks a bit off with increased margins.

I like the new affect.

I left the setting at 0 and used Noel's ThemeAtlas from here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173407-theme-resources-in-win-10-build-9926/?p=1093593

I actually like the frame on the modern apps.

Edited by Dreamweaver01

Been running the latest debug build -  Win10 TP 9926 (DWMGlass.dll now 3,492 KB) for the last 4+ hours without any issues.

btw bm: Where in Registry is this loading from or is this the dwm key? 'Loading settings (flags = 0x2) from HKEY 0x0000000000000000'  

Great Job! Thanks ,BigMuscle

~DP 

Debug.jpg

Edited by DosProbie

Just a small experiment

Neat.  I'll see if I can work up an alternate set of drop shadow resources to improve the edges a bit over the stock theme atlas, much as I did with Windows 8.

This goes without saying, but it would be great if you'd update your GUI tool whenever you add new functionality.

By the way, is it just me or has Windows 10 closed down the ability to rename a DLL that's in use in order to copy a new version into the same folder?  I can no longer do so, but I'm not sure if it's a fundamental change as I still have UAC enabled on my Win 10 test system, which I do not normally have.

-Noel

When can we test it?

Not yet, because it is not working correctly yet. There are also certain limitations:

a) extra DLL which needs to be injected via AppInit_DLLs registry key

b) no icon/minimize/maximize buttons on titlebar (I don't know how to add them expect completely manually drawing/handling them)

c) additional immersive tasks is gone, i.e. no possibility to switch to fullscreen, etc.