Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

NoelC: everything seems correct on your image, I would check if the DLL is injected correctly - e.g. using Process Explorer or some similar tool which allows listing loaded modules. My DLL always opens the console as the first thing so it would open even if there is some bug in my code.

You can also check this - open some 64-bit application and then try to delete my DLL. It should be locked because AppInit_DLLs method inject it into every process.

I'm note sure if that EventVwr error log is somehow connected.

About short names... is it still needed? I have "ModernFrame.dll" name (which is actually long name) and it works.

About short names... is it still needed? I have "ModernFrame.dll" name (which is actually long name) and it works.

I'll check it again...

I don't honestly know if the short name is required any more.  I'll try it both ways.  I rather enjoy prodding Windows 10 to see what squeaks or falls to pieces.

Oh, and that error message remains even if I don't try to inject anything.  So it may be a result of some recent choice I've made (e.g., to not use a cloud account, or to disable OneDrive, or...).

Okay, some updated info...

• Process Hacker does NOT list it as s loaded module.
  • I CAN delete it while other applications are running.

Ergo your initial comment was actually correct - somehow it's simply not being loaded.

-Noel

I returned back to my computer and checked the DLL... and now I will look like an as*****... visual studio compiled the DLL into different folder so I uploaded wrong DLL :whistle:

reuploaded :angel

Thankyou bigmuscle, and don't worry about it.  We all make mistakes.  It is working beautifully now!  Wonderful!!!!   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

screenshot_8.png

Edited by dhjohns

so for starters you need regedit and the ModernFrame.dll (chnage date feb11) also I assume you need to turn secureBoot off...

1. push the DLL into your C:\AeroGlass (or whereever you put it, but dont use spaes in the path (explanation later)

2. open regedit

3. then you need to go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

4. you need a DWORD called LoadAppInit_DLLs and set it to 1

5. another DWORD called RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs -> 0

6. a String Value called AppInit_DLLs where you put in the path of the DLL

(Note: if you already have something in there [like a theme sig bypass], you seperate the paths either by a , or a space -> that's why we dont use space in the paths)

7. Kill Application Framehost.exe or reboot

8. open a metro app and wait for a cmd opening doing the rest for you...

Edited by My1

I LIKE it! thanks for the screenshot dhjohns and bm for providing this..

ps: dhjohns since there have been issues enabling this feature you may want to provide a step by step tutorial for others.

~DP

No issues at all.  Just follow these instructions --

1.  Download ModernFrame.7z (the real DLL is now there) from Big Muscle's link, as provided in post 192.

2.  Extract  ModernFrame.dll and save it into the C:\AeroGlass folder (if you have the other file already there just replace it.)

3.  Open RegEdit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

4.  Add C:\AeroGlass\ModernFrame.dll to the AppInit_DLLs value.  In my case it was empty to start with.

5.  Change the LoadAppInit_DLLs value to:  0x00000001

6.  Reboot or Log out then back in.

7.  Start any Modern App.  In my case the The Weather Channel App.

You will see an extra CMD window showing symbols downloading, etc.  Just minimize this along with the normal debug window!