Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

I think this testing build should be released as a stable final build. As I think it works well and never had any problems with it. :)

Plus BM likes to remind us every day with a big pop up permanent debug box that this is version for Win 8.1... And we don't have to go to effort and trouble of opening the debug.log if we do see random glitch and want to investigate further. :ph34r:

Why not have a reg entry BM for the 'advanced' users to suppress the water mark and cmd box on even debug versions... He thinks we like it this way, license or not.

Edited by ralcool

1. I injected the ModernFrame.dll via AppInit_DLL registry value with secure boot off.

2. I installed the ModernFrame.dll into Aero Glass folder (where dbghelp.dll and symsrv.dll is present).

3. I just killed the ApplicationFrameHost.exe after install.

The Modern Frame was not removed.  :thumbup

1. I injected the ModernFrame.dll via AppInit_DLL registry value with secure boot off.
2. I installed the ModernFrame.dll into Aero Glass folder (where dbghelp.dll and symsrv.dll is present).
3. I just killed the ApplicationFrameHost.exe after install.

The Modern Frame was not removed.  :thumbup

I did all this, and nothing has changed.

detailed instructions, please.   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

It does not work here either - automatically.

I have a Win 10 x64 setup running build 9926 in a VM.  Here are the steps I followed.

1.  Download ModernFrame.7z from Big Muscle's link, as provided in post 192 above.

2.  Use 7-Zip to extract ModernFrame.dll and save it into the C:\AeroGlass folder.

3.  Open RegEdit and navigate into:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

4.  Add C:\AeroGlass\ModernFrame.dll into the AppInit_DLLs value.  In my case it was empty to start with.

5.  Change the LoadAppInit_DLLs value to:  0x00000001

6.  Reboot.

7.  Start a Modern App that had been set to run in a window before.  In my case the Weather App.

I can confirm that the AppInit_DLLs value is being referenced, as the Event viewer reports Custom DLLs are being loaded.

NoModernFrame.png

As you can see above, there is no static change to the default flat title bar on the Weather App.

The problem seems to be that no symbols are automatically downloaded for ApplicationFrame.dll.

Whether that's because the auto-download for this particular DLL is faulty, or because the symbol server failed to respond is anyone's guess.  I don't see anything in the dwm.exe debug window to do with ApplicationFrame.dll.

Next I'm going to go fool with the debugger and get the symbols to see what happens after...

-Noel

It is simple, you didn't inject it correctly, because it opens new console window immediately after injection into ApplicationFrameHost.exe. I tested on several systems and it works correctly, so just verify that the DLL is correctly injected into your ApplicationFrameHost.exe.

That's the second time you've made that kind of statement.

I listed the exact steps and verified that it is injected ("custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application") via the Event Log (I even provided screen grabs).

If not by the detailed steps I listed above, what do you suggest as an alternative for injecting it?  Is there some other tool or setting I'm just supposed to know about?

The only thing I can think of is a setting I ran across once that's something like "RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs" = 0.  I'm off to research that now...

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

There is no secure boot capability in a VMware VM that I know of.

However, too much time has passed since the early days of Aero Glass injection, and I had forgotten the RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs value in the same registry key as LoadAppInit_DLLs and AppInit_DLLs.

Also as I recall one needs to use short folder/file names to specify the DLL.  It's coming back to me...

I'll report back if I can get it to work.

-Noel

Nope, still nothing.  I've done the above and no debug window opens at all.  There is no change to the modern frame.

One of the things I do is turn off short file name support in NTFS whenever I initially set up a system.  Perhaps I've closed off the possibility for me to load AppInit_DLLs by making that change, even though I've set the Aero Glass folder to be no more than 8 characters at the root of drive C:, and shortened the name of the DLL file.

NoAppInitDLLsYet.png

I welcome any other suggestions.

-Noel